• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another reason not to clip wings.... A sad story. (Sad update post #19)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't usually share stories about the birds that come into the rescue I volunteer with- and the horrible conditions some come from- because I feel like they're not my stories to tell. But the rescue has publicly shared this one and I think it's an important story, although terribly sad. The rescue recently got a cockatiel relinquished to it. The owners had decided to clip his wings themselves. In my opinion, there is no reason to ever clip a tiels wings unless it's for some sort of medical reason. The owners didn't know what they were doing and cut the actual wing. And then, did nothing about it. This poor bird has lived with a severe wound for over a year. A YEAR. That would constantly reopen and bleed. I can't imagine the pain this poor bird lived with. The rescue immediately took the tiel to the vet and was told that the bone was infected and the wing would have to be amputated. The tiel is currently on pain meds and antibiotics and the surgery will take place in a few days. The vet wanted the tiel to have antibiotics for awhile before surgery. Just being on the pain medication, the tiel looks so much better already. I know the tiel can still live a good, but flightless, life with one wing. But it was needless. If you don't want a bird to fly, then don't get a bird. And if you do have to clip, please get a professional to do it. It took me several days to be able to write this because I was honestly too angry before. And as I said, I don't often tell rescue stories. But if more people saw the heartache that people in rescue live through on a daily basis they also might be more understanding as to why many rescues have such strict adoption rules. They see too much suffering to just blindly turn a bird over to someone simply because they want one. They need to do their best to ensure that their birds are going to a good home, after seeing so many bad ones. (And no, not all rescue birds come from bad homes.) But there are too many out there. Okay, off my rescue soap box. :) Please send prayers that this tiel's surgery goes well.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Poor thing. I hope the surgery goes good and he finds a wonderful home where he loved and taken care of.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Poor little bird :( so glad he is getting the care he needs at the rescue! Sending some positive thoughts for the surgery :heart2:

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
But the rescue has publicly shared this one and I think it's an important story, although terribly sad.
Agree a hundred million times with everything you said.

I hope the little guy can find a home where he can be loved and cared for as he deserves.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is awful. Poor baby. :(

I also see stories of people cutting wings themselves and doing an awful hack job, or cutting all the flights off. I think I saw one where they cut the tail feathers too. I seriously can't imagine how someone could think this is OK.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh that poor bird. Breaks my heart.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brought tears to my eyes... What type of stupid people are these!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Sunnymom When I volunteered at the Oasis, I saw things that would tear your heart out and stomp on it. The Oasis is a sanctuary - that means once a bird is admitted he never leaves. People, human beings, ruin these birds and make psychos or monsters or non-entities out of them and they can never live with a family again. They now have over 800 birds who will live their lives out there. There are 100s of thousands out there living these horrors.

I'm sorry you have to witness these horror stories. It left a dark shadow in me and I'm sure you have been affected too.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is so sad. I'll pray for this poor bird. What's his name? :(

But wing clipping is dangerous even if done 'right' (I don't think there is such a thing).

As Aurelius grows, he's trying new things & toys. I've had to rescue him from them, even safe ones bought from AA vendors, because he's climbing stuff that was never meant to be climbed in a vain attempt to make up for his lack of adequate flight. I keep a long perch handy because he's not hand tame & I don't want him to panic.

Dania

Strolling the yard
What is wrong with people? Good vibes for the bird finding a good family and love.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
So sad. I hope the tiel feels much better after but it will be a long recovery. Many prays for him.
I had my boos wings cut when I brought her home but after seeing how happy she was to fly around I would never cut her wings again. Or any future birds for that matter!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the work you and the rescue are doing for all the birds that come into your loving care.

(and to everyone else involved in providing for birds in need)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Sunnymom When I volunteered at the Oasis, I saw things that would tear your heart out and stomp on it. The Oasis is a sanctuary - that means once a bird is admitted he never leaves. People, human beings, ruin these birds and make psychos or monsters or non-entities out of them and they can never live with a family again. They now have over 800 birds who will live their lives out there. There are 100s of thousands out there living these horrors.

I'm sorry you have to witness these horror stories. It left a dark shadow in me and I'm sure you have been affected too.
I didn't realize you had volunteered there. No wonder you're such a parrot expert. :) And yes, it rips your heart out. There are a lot of happy days with rescue too. Seeing a bird find their "person", etc. And of course, there are lots of birds that don't come from bad situations. I always want to stress that too so people don't always think rescue birds are problem birds. (Although it's never the bird that's really the problem.) But there are so many out that who are neglected, abused, etc. It's tragic. There was a short documentary that was released recently as a follow up on the WPR birds. They interviewed the vets, vet techs, etc that went in and saved these birds. I cried the whole way through it. I don't think anyone that has helped with any rescue ever looks at things the same way again.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is so sad. I'll pray for this poor bird. What's his name? :(

But wing clipping is dangerous even if done 'right' (I don't think there is such a thing).

As Aurelius grows, he's trying new things & toys. I've had to rescue him from them, even safe ones bought from AA vendors, because he's climbing stuff that was never meant to be climbed in a vain attempt to make up for his lack of adequate flight. I keep a long perch handy because he's not hand tame & I don't want him to panic.
His name is Ivar.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for the work you and the rescue are doing for all the birds that come into your loving care.

(and to everyone else involved in providing for birds in need)
Thanks. I do what I can but there are people who do a lot more. I always tell our adoption coordinator that she's a saint as she is usually the one who goes and gets the birds from sometimes dicey situations and takes the sometimes heartbreaking intake calls. And again, it's not always a horrible situation. A lot of birds come to us because their owner passed away, a person realized that they really aren't a bird person, the child whose bird it was left for college, etc. There are lots of reasons that birds come to a rescue. But then their are situations like this one that break your heart.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is heart breaking. Sending prayers for this little one. I hope he finds an amazing home.
He won't be up for adoption for awhile. Not until he's fully healed, etc but he's with a great foster mom right now who's giving him lots of love.