• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Poorly Bird, not sure what this time.

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Hi there,

So on top of one of my birds having a respiratory infection that I'm dealing with, my other bird is now having some other issue. It started today, but I think he's hurt himself. He's been climbing to the top of the cage and sometimes loses his grip and falls to the bottom, so I think it's an injury of some description. His symptoms are below:

Not constantly, but in bursts of a few minutes, he can't stand on one foot and flails his wing on that side around in an attempt to balance and he sits very low on the perch, then 5 minutes later is back to his normal self.

I've checked his foot and as far as I can tell he's got no broken nails, toes and no cuts or marks. He's already booked in at the vets tomorrow at 10AM because this isn't normal behaviour, but I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas from your own experience so I can do some reading beforehand.

Really not something I needed right now, two poorly budgies :'(

Thanks!

Komsur

Walking the driveway
EDIT REPLY: Okay, I think (only think from looking) there is actually a small amount of skin that's been taken off his foot. I'd missed it earlier, but he was hanging on the cage wall and I got a good look and I think there's a tiny cut on his foot, though it could have been the lighting. Either way, still going to the vets, but I think I may have found the cause.

5 feathers

Meeting neighbors
I'm sorry of what you are going through, I think after he has tooken his bath it is a good time to check the wound. I normally check if there is a wound after my parrot's baths, because the feathers are wet and it's very visible :)

5 feathers

Meeting neighbors
My IRN Parakeet, Paroo, also faced this issue last year but it's a little different. A book (A pretty heavy one)fell on his leg, but luckily he took it of before it fell. I checked his leg and I saw a swelling on his thigh.(I did not take him to the vet) I used some tamarind powder and mixed it with warm (not hot) Water, and wrapped a clean cloth around it. I left it on his thigh for a few mins and took it off, I continued this for a month. Fortunately, he is all fine and healthy this year.

(I'm not telling you to try it because this wound is different)

Komsur

Walking the driveway
EDIT REPLY: Okay, I think (only think from looking) there is actually a small amount of skin that's been taken off his foot. I'd missed it earlier, but he was hanging on the cage wall and I got a good look and I think there's a tiny cut on his foot, though it could have been the lighting. Either way, still going to the vets, but I think I may have found the cause.
Hi thank you for the kind words, he's not had his bath yet, but hopefully soon. I've been watching him and I think it's definitely a cut, he can stand on it, but if it touches a specific part it pains him, so it's likely some sort of sore or otherwise. I don't have any perches that are hard on their feet and overall he seems like his regular self, and overall he can still use that bad foot as normal, apart from when it touches that one area, and it's always the same foot, so I'm hopeful it's not some sort of internal infection throwing his balance off.

Otherwise, I've covered the cage up a tiny bit, to try to stop him climbing to the top of it again, and to shield him a little from this heat we're having.

I've managed to snap a picture of his foot, I've circled the problem area in red, that doesn't look normal to me and looks like he's taken a fair bit of skin off.

On the plus side though, my other budgie is getting better, I can't hear the clicking in his breathing and his foot injury is getting better daily too (see my post on that for reference).

Really tough on me at the moment all this, plus my car's engine light came on so let's hope I make it to the vets....

Attachments