• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent ANOTHER COURSE OF CIPRO?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I've been monitoring my cockatiel for a week. He seems to sneeze occasionally when he preens, or while asleep. Maybe a couple of times a day. He also does this weird exhale with his mouth for maybe 3-4 times, happened about twice this past week. Vet says this all could be dander and dust, hard to tell.

It's just so hard to tell if he's actually sick or not. I worry I may be imagining and making it into being something serious, when it's actually normal. He's not visibly sick at all, normal behavior and energy, although lately he's been more moody and aggressive. Poop looks normal

I spoke to the vet, and he said to start the Cipro again. This will be the 3rd course of Cipro since February (he originally had a mild upper respiratory infection).

My question is: if he isn't sick, and I'm giving him Cipro unnecessarily- is that dangerous? The vet says it isn't dangerous at all and is very well tolerated.

Just wanted to get your opinions. It's just very hard to gauge what to do because if he was visibly sick, I'd know definitely to give the meds, but if he isn't visibly sick, but shows some signs of it maybe, what am I supposed to do?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I can't give advice to not do what you vet tells you to do. Do you have confidence in your vet?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It’s not exactly dangerous, but I would be concerned... just like humans, birds can build a resistance to certain medicines. Also (I think this is an antibiotic) these meds kill off good bacteria along with the bad... plus you’re possibly putting a chemical into your bird unnecessarily.

So... have you weighed the bird? Is he losing weight?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Call your vet back, send a video, , could be dander, dry air, crop adjusting ,,birds do it all the time, sneeze, adjust the crop,,, it's all normal bird stuff, without a crop swab or actually listening to the breathing, the vet shouldn't say " start the antibiotics again" sorry... just my opinion...get a second opinion...only you know your bird..hope its nothing to worry about.. :hug8: