• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another chester the horse update & question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Chester is gaining weight slowly wich is a good thing , he is feeling alot better has more energy. So now , I went to go feed him tonight & where I keep him at my BF & THE OWNER OF PROPERTY GAVE HIM cracked corn after I asked them NOT too !!!They BOTH preceeded to tell me that I need to give him that ect. ect. I guess what is your opinion on the cracked corn ... Me personally NO NUTRITION VALUE! i'M SO MAD i CAN'T EVEN TYPE WHAT i WANT TO SAY RIGHT!

Last edited:

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
can't really tell you aabout cracked corn seeing as my horses don't eat it...but if he's eating i don't see the harm in it unless it's actually BAD for him...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I dont have horses, but if this is a bad environment for him , can you find another stables...just askin.:hug8:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
UGH!
Cracked corn as a sole meal has little nutritional value and is dangerous to feed, since its so easy to overfeed them!
". Large amounts of any raw grain produces an excess of soluble starch that passes through the small bowel and overloads into the large bowel, and then ferments to increase hindgut acid levels"
Taken from Home-Myths Related to Feeding Horses

Basically, if it's being fed in small amounts, and mixed with other feeds, it can be quite nutritious since it has a lot of starch, oil and sugars while remaining low in fiber so as not to take up the majority of the horses diet. However, it makes it VERY easy to overfeed, which can lead to colic, foundering, laminitis, etc.

If he's already being fed a mixture with cracked corn in it, I definitely wouldn't be feeding anymore on top of that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.