• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Annoyed and nipping at earlobes & told to step up?

toto2021

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I have a 3.5 month old cockatiel, handraised and very tame. I've had him/her since 9 weeks old. He is quite comfortable hanging out on shoulders, often napping or just exploring. He knows how to step up and even do some tricks.

With me he's never nipped and made the annoyed sounds at my earlobes, but for some reason he will randomly do this to my mom when he's on her shoulder. He'll make the annoyed sound and nip at her earlobes, as well as her fingers when she of course has to try to get him to step off. Any help or tips to discourage this nipping behavior? My mom is usually never doing anything to cause it, it seems totally random.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sometimes the best way to stop a behavior is to prevent it from happening, I'd either cover my ears while he is on your shoulder, or do what wardy said.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I certainly hope your mom isn't using any cosmetics or perfume. That'll cause issues.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Try to do away with the shoulder time. You could also have Mom try to use a perch to get him off her shoulder if he does get on her.