• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Angry like screams, female cockatiel

nosh

Checking out the neighborhood
Recently one of our tiels started putting her butt up and chirping, but then after about a day after she started making angry like screams and being a little aggressive.

At first I thought it was just her hormones, but we have another tiel who started putting her butt up before this one, but that one hasn't screamed or been aggressive, so now I'm not sure. I'm worried she's perhaps in pain.

The screaming and aggressiveness started less than a week ago now and happening more often in a day. Both tiels should be just under 8 months old, they're both sisters coming from the same batch of eggs.

I have 2 videos to show. One where she's on my shoulder, I was worried some about noises she made. I asked on Reddit and they said it was just cute noises, I added it just in case. The second is on my leg where she screams. I put my hand halfway to show her aggressiveness. Both are comfortable with hands, this one especially is really friendly.

I tried to add the videos into separate zips, but it said they were too large and the lowest was about 3 mb. I have an imgur link instead, they're both videos with audio

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! I'm sure some tiel people will be along soon. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are you sure she’s female? Almost sounds like a male learning to talk. When you put your hand near, she’s just saying she doesn’t want to be bothered with it, not necessarily being aggressive. It’s good to listen to her. It seems like she is growing up and asserting her independence. All young birds go through this stage, and it can be a little hard to navigate. Hormones can also play a part. Now is the time you want to reward all desired behavior and ignore unwanted behaviors. Never force her to do anything, but find a way to make it her choice. She’s very cute btw!

nosh

Are you sure she’s female? Almost sounds like a male learning to talk. When you put your hand near, she’s just saying she doesn’t want to be bothered with it, not necessarily being aggressive. It’s good to listen to her. It seems like she is growing up and asserting her independence. All young birds go through this stage, and it can be a little hard to navigate. Hormones can also play a part. Now is the time you want to reward all desired behavior and ignore unwanted behaviors. Never force her to do anything, but find a way to make it her choice. She’s very cute btw!
Thank you very much. All this time we assumed this tiel was male, but then she started putting her butt up and doing short low chirps. I thought this behavior was done by female tiels only once they get 'hot'. None have done the heart wing shape that males usually do so far so that's why I'm more sure that the tiel is female now rather than male.

Otherwise she is acting normal like usual. She even happily jumped down the perch once I removed the cover of the cage this morning and started flying all around with the other tiel once I opened up the cage. So I'm sure no behavioral change. Even still, her screams sounds distressing, so I got worried.

This morning she had about 3 screaming sessions that lasted less than a minute each. For the last hour shes been happily flying and and playing around without screaming. With your comment, I feel much more relieved. Thank you. I felt heartbroken thinking that maybe she was in pain the whole time when I was thinking it was just her hormones.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
It almost sounds like she’s saying ” what you doooooing” at one point. Do you say that to her?

nosh

It almost sounds like she’s saying ” what you doooooing” at one point. Do you say that to her?
I actually do say that, but in Spanish. "Que haaaaacessss". Occasionally in English too, but mostly Spanish.