• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Angry birb

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Hello guys,

long time no see! Been a but busy with my parents and siblings visiting Dubai :)

Here’s a picture of angry, hormonal,almost hitting puberty, no more my sweet baby birb :D Zazu’s changed big time in the last month or so. He no longer allows me to cuddle-kiss him, we don’t have our before sleeping moments anymore :( He gets super angry and bites hard whenever I try to cover his back :D more lenient with my husband though, Zazu thinks he’s the mate, since i’m the mother. He gets angry even if i just approach him while he’s in the cage, the exception is when he knows I came to let him out.
I know this angry period will pass, but is there anything I can do to for it to pass smoother?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He gets super angry and bites hard whenever I try to cover his back :D
I know this angry period will pass, but is there anything I can do to for it to pass smoother?
Maybe don´t cover his back?
I would refrain from stroking him or touching him anywhere other than the top of his head.
If you notice there is something you are doing that is angering him, then stop doing it or it will normalize the behaviour.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Maybe don´t cover his back?
I would refrain from stroking him or touching him anywhere other than the top of his head.
If you notice there is something you are doing that is angering him, then stop doing it or it will normalize the behaviour.
I don’t stroke him, I used to cover his back and kiss his beak, but not anymore :D getting kisses only during training. It’s okay, he’s changing and I need to accept that

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Nice to see you back!

Georgiarae

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Georgia-rae
Hello guys,

long time no see! Been a but busy with my parents and siblings visiting Dubai :)

Here’s a picture of angry, hormonal,almost hitting puberty, no more my sweet baby birb :D Zazu’s changed big time in the last month or so. He no longer allows me to cuddle-kiss him, we don’t have our before sleeping moments anymore :( He gets super angry and bites hard whenever I try to cover his back :D more lenient with my husband though, Zazu thinks he’s the mate, since i’m the mother. He gets angry even if i just approach him while he’s in the cage, the exception is when he knows I came to let him out.
This sounds exactly my boy or girl not sure yet. He was so sweet, loved me so much and now he bites me a lot haha not when I’m getting him out of the cage though.. he still lets me grab and kiss him as well, only at night though? Is your one the same.. more loving at night time?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Years ago, a more experienced bird person, showed me a training trick-- With the bird on your hand, and your fingers giving him support by holding onto his toes-- then 'whee' the bird: hold him up in the air, and 'schwoop' him toward you to have him stretch his wings and flap in excitement. Then continue, but add a gentle quick hug when he tolerates it. And a treat is ALWAYS a reward...

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
This sounds exactly my boy or girl not sure yet. He was so sweet, loved me so much and now he bites me a lot haha not when I’m getting him out of the cage though.. he still lets me grab and kiss him as well, only at night though? Is your one the same.. more loving at night time?
Hey! Really sorry for the late reply, haven’t had much free time lately...
so when I created this thread, yes, he was more loving in the night and would allow me to kiss etc. But now, 3 month down the road, we are unfortunately at the rock bottom of our relationship ;( Zazu became so aggressive towards me, gets all puffed up even when I come to say sweet things to him and bites and lunges every time I ask for a step up, not even talking about proper interaction anymore. With that being said, i’m not locking him up for this ofc, i still manage to interact at least during training he’s okay-ish with me and most of the times is not aggressive if i have food and want to train. He’s perfectly fine with my husband though + shows mating behavior towards the husband.
last week we had a little progress but yesterday got worse again. I think he’s having separation anxiety because he was raised during quarantine times and i would spend a lot of time with him and he would be out of the cage most of the day.
in the past 2-3 months i’ve been very busy and end up coming home late most days and which soon should get better, got into uncontrollable life circumstances.
i really hope this stage is not just anxiety but mostly hormonal so that when he hits full maturity, we can go back to normal because I really miss my sweet loving baby boy :( out of all, he’s the closest to my heart,I raised him and it hurts me to see him so angry and upset...i want him to be happy again

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Touch is very stimulating for IRN. Give your bird some space. You need to rebuild lost trust. I would step back and imagine you are starting with a brand new bird. As you said, your bird has grown up, physical contact is very sexy for your bird now. I would redirect the human-bird interactions. This goes the same for your husband, mate bonding is very confusing for everyone. Zazu is confused, you are confused... Lets see if we can start this over. Try to spend time around Zazu without expectations. Don't reach at him and wait for him to come to you. Don't stare at him try reading aloud to him with your back turned. Try developing foraging behaviour, provide foraging activities and eat your own food in his line of sight but allow him to eat his food. The idea is you want to reinforce the flock bond. You want to do activities that aren't about sex in Zazus eyes. Give him small quick treats when you approach the cage so he associates you with a positive experience.

I think the most helpful thing will be to take a step back. Re-evaluate the things you are doing and be honest about it. Zazu isn't trying to damage your relationship. He is hormonal and doing his best to figure things out. Try and see it from his eyes. You can heal the damaged flock bond with patience and patience and more patience. It can be a long road and it won't be easy. Don't give up on him :bighug: