• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Angry baby cockatiel :(

Candylicious

Checking out the neighborhood
I bought a handfed 10 week old male cockatiel a little over a week ago. Within the first few hours he started begging to come out of his cage, so I took him out and he seemed like a happy little baby. Over the next few days, the more comfortable he became the angrier he got. I was told by the breeder he was handfed from day one and she described him as a Velcro bird. I should have known something was up when she took him out of the cage he immediately flew towards the playstand near his parents and kept doing so when she would bring him back. He wasn't nippy or lash out though so I didn't think it would be a big problem.
He lashes out and hisses a lot; however, he is also very Velcro-y.
I have been careful to read his body language, tried keeping him off my shoulder, practiced stepping up. Millet seems to make him extremely angry. I've used it as a treat for allowing me to put him on his perch, since he wants to be with me 100% of his awake time, staying on his perch is a very big deal. His perch is attached to his cage and I have it arranged so he can come in and out of his cage as he pleases. He has started flying down from his perch and obsessively hunting me down. If anyone else tries offering a ride he lashes out at them. If I bring him back to his cage or perch, he lashes out at me. When he lashes out I lock him in his cage as a time out. I am careful not to react and not pull back but keep doing what I'm doing ignoring his nasty behavior.
Another problem is he hungry baby cries several times a day, despite having plenty of food... If I don't quickly tend to him he becomes angry and will lash out. The only way I've found to stop the hungry baby cry is to change out his food, even though I changed out his food a couple of hours earlier. He baby cries before bed too. I put him from his perch into his cage for bedtime and he lashes out yet again.
He goes to bed angry with me and wakes up refusing to speak to me!
I don't know if I am doing something seriously wrong or if this is just his personality. If things don't change rather soon the breeder will be taking him back.
This isn't my first cockatiel but I've only had females in the past and am wondering if that is the difference... but I didn't think there would be this much difference in male and female cockatiels.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I understand perfectly. Your baby is hungry. Many times, babies regress when they come home. What you need to do is to go to the pet store, get handfeeding formula and syringe and feed your tiel in the morning and at night. The back of the box will tell you how thick to make it. He will refuse feeding when he is ready. I had to do that with Bella. Here is a video of how it is done or you can go back to the breeder for instructions. Welcome to AA
http://www.cockatiel.com/handfeeding.html
cockatiel.com Hand feeding your baby cockatiel

Candylicious

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you! I will try that. Should that help stop the angry lashing out and biting too?

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Yes. He will associate you with food and you will be astounded by the difference. Bella didn't want to have anything to do with me until I started handfeeding her. Keep us updated and we'd love to see pictures of your baby.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
He is stunning!

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Pretty little guy you got :) Please don't give up on him after only a week - that is not fair to him. A lot of the time they do regress on weaning once they're in their new homes. Syringe feed him for a bit longer and give him some time to settle in...

greystheway

Meeting neighbors
Beautiful baby! I have no advice but hoping that you two find your rhythm. You were given some good advice above. Time and patience is the key :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you've never used a syringe before, try using a plastic spoon (like a measuring spoon) to feed with. Syringe feeding for a new owner can be dangerous if not done right. By using a spoon you'll keep the dangers to a minimum. Be very careful of the temperature also. Make sure there are no hot spots in the formula as it can burn right through the skin of his crop.

He should still bob once you touch the sides of his beak.

He's a gorgeous baby!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats - he is beautiful! I agree with Theresa - it sounds like he is hungry and has regressed a little. Also - he is still adjusting to is new home. What is his name?

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
How has the feeding been going?

Wolf

Jogging around the block
How are thing going with your new bird?