• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Andre.

Ladymoonah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Hi would love to introduce Andre..
Greater sulfur crested cockatoo (so a BIG fella)
1year old male(as been told by previous "owner")
Im his 3rd home this is enough to be of concern.
Where to begin... the begin..so mot the order i dicoved the information but his story not mine..
...so wild caught (legally has a ring* which is legitimate) *ring is a split ring might be asking vet to remove so I don't get caught in anything.

So he was damaged in his capture resulting in missing one tip of his toe and scaring on the other doesn't effect his climbing or feeding at all thank goodness after being captured he was kept in a small cage in a garage... this is home #1...

Rescued from a garage to a kind but impatient house with kids and highly expected to become friendly within 3 months resulting in a nasty bite causing nerve damage to home #2 ...

Given cheap to local breeder who put in 2 weeks work and relisted as avery bird friendly but needing work wings heavily clipped and sold on to make a profit....#3...

Now he is with me I have gotten as a semi tame friendly bird only to find out all the above information... he will never be rehomed even if he never becomes my best buddy but with so much life yet to live as a bird he will be loved respected and live his best life ... to the best of my abilities.

If you have resued a bird from similar situations please any and all advise please im giving him space but have been hissed at and gently bit i respected his bite as me pushing too far and accept it without a flinch he let go we both stepped back and started again with space and treats again... hopefully I'm doing it right.

20230104_150932.jpg 20221211_103400.jpg

Ladymoonah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
You can follow us on Facebook our flock page.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Whoa, poor dude.

Welcome to the Avenue! And it sounds like you’re doing well so far - time and patience are your best friends.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful. Thank you for helping him. I am at least the 4th home of a wild caught male goffin cockatoo, Elvis. I suspect he's had more homes than that but that's what I know of his history in the 2-3 years before he came to live with me. Keep in mind he's at least 31. So he has a good 20 years that I don't know about. What I do know is he was brought into a pet store in a parakeet sized cage by a couple who said we don't want him anymore. Set the cage on the floor and left. It's not exactly clear to me if he was kept at the pet store as a pet store bird or was for sale. But he lived there for a while. Then one of the pet store employees decided to take him home. He lived with the employee for about a year until the employee inherited an umbrella cockatoo. The 2 apparently did not get along. Shortly thereafter Elvis bit the employee. The employee told his girlfriend to get rid of Elvis immediately. Thus, Elvis found his way to the rescue I help with and I eventually adopted him. His wings were butchered when I got him. I'm not sure who did such a severe clip, but it was pretty bad. I think having his wings clipped made him depressed. His personality really bloomed once his flight feathers grew back in.

That was approximately 5 years ago. Elvis is now my best friend. It took time and patience. Learning to read his cues and respect his boundaries. The good news about wild caught birds is that they are pretty well adjusted and can usually entertain themselves. The not really bad news because it makes them better adjusted is, they're not really cuddly. Which is good. A cockatoo shouldn't be cuddly. But I think often people expect that from a cockatoo. Elvis loves attention. He loves to play. He does not want to sit on my lap and cuddle. I don't think he ever will. That's not who he is. When he's out of the cage he wants to do things. Which is how it should be. I would make sure that your cockatoo has lots of enrichment. Toys, things to forage, etc. If he doesn't know how to step up, that would be a good place to start teaching him. Also, maybe target training. Barbara Heidenreich and Pamela Clarke are 2 really good behaviorists/trainers that have websites, books, etc and are good resources.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh no poor guy so glad you rescued him

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’m a recent triton cockatoo owner, she was rehomed for noise complaints, and her previous owners were getting older and she’s only 15.

My situation isn’t too much like yours, in that she actually came from a pretty good home I think. I will say that the first couple days she had a hard time adjusting, but after about two weeks now she’s really opened up and I’m seeing more and more of her personality. A lot of it is being as patient as possible and letting the bird lead the way as far as what they’re comfortable with. I offered a lot of treats, and really just sat in the room with her with her cage open as often as I could and let her interact with me on her own terms. So far it seems to be going well!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you for rescuing this beautiful boy. Time, patience, traeats, story time and did I say lots of patience?
Too many people rush into wanting a best friend and will push the boundaries too far.
Of course, a bite is the result as well as a very scared bird.
Good luck with your beautiful cockatoo and please let him set the pace. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wild caught, one year old, legal capture? How?

Ladymoonah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Wild caught, one year old, legal capture? How?
Here in Australia we have them wild and plentiful some people get permits and can capture young birds for breeding and pet trade within Australia... its not something I agree with nor willingly support still its a cruel world and is some parts of Australia they even kull large populations to help control numbers for farming communities... again don't want to get to into a debate on any of these practices as I personally believe it should not be done.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Here in Australia we have them wild and plentiful some people get permits and can capture young birds for breeding and pet trade within Australia... its not something I agree with nor willingly support still its a cruel world and is some parts of Australia they even kull large populations to help control numbers for farming communities... again don't want to get to into a debate on any of these practices as I personally believe it should not be done.
@Shezbug is an Aussie too, which I think was why she was asking.

Is it a country wide law that’s it’s occasionally OK to do so, or does it vary by state? Is there a special permit required? I’m not from Australia, but I was under the impression that there were no wild caughts happening at all anymore.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m in Aus, actually I’m not all that far from you!
I think you may wish to double check the laws before advertising how you got your bird- from everything I know and can find it’s not legal to trap SC2’s. Even injured SC2’s from the wild that have been rehabbed need to be released or euthanised- they may not be sold or kept as pets.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’m in Aus, actually I’m not all that far from you!
I think you may wish to double check the laws before advertising how you got your bird- from everything I know and can find it’s not legal to trap SC2’s. Even injured SC2’s from the wild that have been rehabbed need to be released or euthanised- they may not be sold or kept as pets.
Is it possible for someone to get a permit for capture? I know here in the states there are species one can’t really do anything with unless there’s a permit - for example tegus can be caught and kept if the person has a permit from the wildlife fish and game department.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it possible for someone to get a permit for capture? I know here in the states there are species one can’t really do anything with unless there’s a permit - for example tegus can be caught and kept if the person has a permit from the wildlife fish and game department.
Yes but they MUST be euthanised. The only exception to the rules (as far as I am aware and can find) are if they are an endangered species, they may then be used in breeding programs but not just anyone will be given that sort of permit and my understanding is that it is an awful lot of paper work to get one of these permits.

In this link you will find guidelines on removing invasive or pest species from the environment, this is the same information you will find in all government sites covering the legal ways those with permits are allowed to deal with our pest wildlife: Trapping of pest birds

Of particular importance...
  • Trapped pest birds should be euthanased after capture. The National Consultative Committee on Animal Welfare considers that trapping for the local pet or export trade is not an acceptable option on welfare grounds. Also, trapping of pest birds for relocation should only be used where there is a high probability that it will lead to amelioration of the problem and can be conducted with minimal risk to the welfare of the birds.

If there is a permit that allows for the trapping and keeping of native birds/animals then I would honestly be very interested to see it and read the rules/requirements of obtaining the permit.

Many people seem to think they can keep wild birds they may have helped back to health but even keeping native wild birds with the intent of helping them if you are not a wildlife carer is not legal either, you must contact and hand them over to either a vet or registered wildlife carer.

Ladymoonah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
They are still protected under native animal acts but they are most definitely kept as pets not released willy nilly or put down aka euthanasia. You can keep them some require licences from your state to do so but not with a sulfur crested cockatoo.

Ladymoonah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
They are still protected under native animal acts but they are most definitely kept as pets not released willy nilly or put down aka euthanasia. You can keep them some require licences from your state to do so but not with a sulfur crested cockatoo.
Didn't want this to become a debate just looking for advice and similar people who can help me make Andre the most comfortable bird possible