• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And the journey continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Kiwi refuses to eat healthy foods. Granted, he will eat almost any fresh fruit and veggie I put in front of him, but I am still not crazy about his diet. He eats sprouts every day, but he is still hooked on those darn Kaytee Fiesta seeds. I threw the last batch out, and he has been miserable without them.

I had him on Roudybush California blend, which he ate without a problem for a few months. Lately, he won't touch them. He used to eat Oven Fresh Bites, but lost interest in them.

I placed an order with Kathie for some new foods, so hopefully he will eat them. I ordered him some Nutri Pellets. I guess they are new-ish. Since he will still devour Nutriberries, I am hopeful that he eats these.

I also got him some Harrison's Pepper. I hope he likes them. Maybe he is just sick of the Roudybush.

I also ordered him some sort of muffin treats. They seem pretty yummy. I got him some Volkman's Birdeez Buffet, too, since he really likes the cookable foods. He loves Crazy Corn Kung Fu Yum.

Does anyone else feel like they are banging their heads against a wall when it comes to their bird's diet? I am getting teary eyed as I type this because I really want him to eat well. I don't know what to do for him anymore when it comes to his diet. In all other aspects, he is the perfect bird. He isn't loud, he isn't overly nippy, he does so many cute and sweet things, but his eating habits are really getting to me. I am trying to be a good mom to him, but sometimes it just feels like I am doing something wrong.

Sorry for the long rant. I am just so upset.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I can understand this. I get upset still because Piper and the Admiral won't eat certain things I KNOW are good for them. Piper won't touch sprouts. Ever. She throws them out entirely. The Admiral won't eat fruit or pretty much anything except his pellets, seeds and carrots. Just keep trying and maybe things will work out. Have you tried the zupreem fruit blends? Maybe the colors and shapes of the pellets will interest him. That's what we have the Admiral on. He won't touch anything else, he seems to like colored food rather then plain brown even if it isn't ideal for him, it's better then him throwing everything out and just picking at the seeds.

:hug8:

Good luck! Don't worry, I'm sure it'll work out.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
When I first got him, I gave him the Fruit Blend, but then I read it was bad for them, so I changed him to Zupreem Naturals. He didn't like that, so we switched to Roudybush California Blend. He has been eating that for a few months without a problem. We got a free sample of Oven Fresh Bites and he ate those, too. Now, all of a sudden, I am coming home from work to find all of the healthy food in his cage untouched. It breaks my heart that he isn't eating at all while I am at work. Today, I left him with Roudybush, Bountiful Harvest, and 3 Nutriberries. I am so upset that he isn't eating. He ate his birdie bread, cucumbers, red bell pepper, and sprouts before I left, but I won't be home till 2:30. I hope he eats this new stuff I got him. Hopefully, it will be here Monday after work. I should have put a rush on the order....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you know, you are stressing about nothing....he is on those seeds BUT he is eating fresh fruits and veggies...sooooooooooo, stop worrying yourself..even the pellets are not good in and by themselves...so I t hink he will be FINE.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette

I just see and read about all these fabulous diets that some people give their birds, and I keep falling short. I don't want to fail him and make him sick.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I think he'll be fine as well. You're being a great birdy owner, he's just got his preferences. It sounds like he's eating just fine, try the new food and just keep trying. Perhaps you can try Kathie's blend? I saw it on her site and I was intrigued,it's mixed in with a lot of healthy stuff with fun colors and shapes to boot. It might make him more interested?

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
He does eat Kathie's blend. I started buying the pellet free blend because he wouldn't eat those, so they were going to waste. I guess I am being paranoid, but I just want to do the best I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.