• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And the first kid to wind up at the vet in 2019 isss.....

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
...Aurélie!! :wewin:

Poor little Réy. This one was completely my fault, not just accident-prone weirdos getting into trouble again *coughTACOcough*. I went out for a few hours today running errands, and apparently when I shut the trouble-making fids away before I left, I didn't latch Aurélie's door properly, and of course she let herself out.

There's a little sand pail in the New World Bird Room that both Taco and Réy love, and Réy's favourite pastime is flipping it on top of herself and running around under it. It's a pretty light pail so she can usually lift it back off easily, and she thinks it's just the most entertaining game in the world.

You probably already guessed where this is going.

I get home and go to give all the fids an afternoon snack, and Réy's cage is empty. I searched the whole room for her what felt like a hundred times, and through the rest of the house too in case she somehow got out, but I couldn't find her anywhere and I was completely panicking.

But then I went back into her room to search yet another time, and I realised that her bucket was upside down on the floor under the chair. I lifted the chair away and picked up the pail, and Aurélie was standing there shaking like a little leaf, wings held out and panting and barely able to keep her eyes open. She'd pushed her little pail under the chair and got stuck.

I've been trapped in a small space before, and I know how quickly you run out of air when you panic. I bundled Aurélie in her carrier, and now I'm at the vet.

Again.

Réy is actually doing really really good, to the point that the vets are kinda laughing at me for freaking out and showing up with a bird in tow for the billionth time, but she scared me so bad. She looked half a second for keeling over and dying right on the spot.

I'm so mad that I didn't close the latch properly. I always check the doors to make sure they're shut tight, but I must've pulled it loose when I did the check and somehow not noticed. Hrgh. :bash:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwwwwwe. Poor Rey was worn out and scared because she couldn't move the bucket.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor girl, you both must have been so scared! Do you have your own designated parking space at the vets lol!:laugh:

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh poor baby, I am so glad she is ok though. That must have been awful for her, playing a familiar game then it turning into a trap :( I can not imagine how worried you were to find her missing and then trapped. :hug8:

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Oh no D: I hope here bucket game isn’t ruined for her forever. :< Glad she’s ok!!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Little peep is home and snug now. Wouldn't you know that the first thing she did, when I put her on her playstand to fix her dinner, was climb down to the floor and start pushing around her pail? If it had been anyone else that thing would have become the devil. :rolleyes: I can't decide if she's brave or foolhardy, LOL.

I know I probably sound so calm, but I swear my heart is still going a mile a minute. I love my little scream machine so much. :sad11: I was crying all the way to the vet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
When I brought Panzer to the vet for his checkup, the tech at the counter joked that they should just move the clinic into my house. :lol:
:coffeescreen:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Wouldn't you know that the first thing she did, when I put her on her playstand to fix her dinner, was climb down to the floor and start pushing around her pail? If it had been anyone else that thing would have become the devil. :rolleyes: I can't decide if she's brave or foolhardy, LOL.

Stockholm syndrome. :giggle:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so glad Rèy is ok. Just before Christmas is I didn't lock one of the feeder doors properly and of course Echo go out and made havoc in the bird room. Thankfully he's ok. They really can get in to trouble when get out!! Hopefully there will less vets visits for you and your flock in 2019!! :bluhug:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Glad the poor thing is okay. I think she was more scared then you where. I know that most of us at one time or another didn't lock a cage door and came home only to find said fid missing and then having a heart attack. It will be something you are never going to forget. I know when I did it I always check the breeder door because that was the door I left open.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry. It's good that she is OK. I've had birds escape, too, sometimes they've let themselves out and sometimes I've not closed the door all the way.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am so happy she is okay!! I'd much rather someone take their fid to the vet and find out everything is fine than the opposite.
You are such a good, loving Mama. Their curiosity gets the best of them! Yesterday sweetie & I were sitting on the living room couch and Waffle was just...not in her cage? She got out through the little food door which is her favorite escape route. I am hoping I didn't close it all the way...otherwise we are going to have to start buying locks! But she was just wandering around behind the couch like nothing was out of the ordinary. :dead: