• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And I saw a bird fly away......

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yesterday, I helped at our bird rescue's table at a bird fair. We don't bring birds to events like this but sell toys, offer advise on bird care, talk about our adoptable birds, etc. It's not the rescue's event. We just participate. There were not a lot of birds at the event but there were some and they were indoors. Other vendors were outdoors, including the rescue's table. As we were packing up at the end of the event, I saw something that I hope never to see again. A budgie got loose and flew out an open door. This little bird flew far and flew fast. It was heart wrenching. He was not tame and I doubt he will be found. So just a word of caution for people that take their birds outside without a harness, and just to remind everyone to be vigilant with their birds. This bird disappeared out of sight in seconds. He flew far and fast and high. It just takes a few seconds for them to be gone. No matter how tame they are. No matter if they're clipped or not. They can still get away. It was a very upsetting thing to watch and this was a bird I had never even seen before. I can only imagine how horrible it would feel to have your actual bird fly away. I just ask everyone to be careful and cautious with their birds. I don't think that poor little budgie will survive for long. :sad2:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Aww.. poor thing, I don't think it will survive very long either, which is heart-wrenching.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww. Someone should hang a cage in the area with food in it & just maybe he'll find it. I caught a wild parakeet once that way.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Aww. Someone should hang a cage in the area with food in it & just maybe he'll find it. I caught a wild parakeet once that way.
People went looking for him. It's just such an open area- trees, highway, etc. I don't think they knew even where to look. I watched him fly and he flew out of my sight. Hopefully, he'll get found....

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I truly hope he will be found. How heartbreaking :(

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
We actually had a rogue parakeet at the feeders in our yard over the past few months. The neighbor and I were setting up a little cage with treats and food trying to catch him. We were finally successful about 2 weeks ago and the neighbor kept him. I was a little sad because I wanted to keep him lol. But my point is that with enough effort they can be caught. This guy was flying around with finches for months living the life! Keep your fingers crossed another bird lover spots him and lures him in. It can happen!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We actually had a rogue parakeet at the feeders in our yard over the past few months. The neighbor and I were setting up a little cage with treats and food trying to catch him. We were finally successful about 2 weeks ago and the neighbor kept him. I was a little sad because I wanted to keep him lol. But my point is that with enough effort they can be caught. This guy was flying around with finches for months living the life! Keep your fingers crossed another bird lover spots him and lures him in. It can happen!!
I hope so!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Similar thing happened with @~Drini~ and a lovebird, who after months of flying free was able to be caught safely :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ow that is so sad and heartbreaking:( I hope that by some miracle, he finds a safe to land.