• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ana's Parrots in PA?

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
Would love to hear opinions and experiences regarding Ana's Parrots in Stroudsburg and Lily's Parrots in Hazelton.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am not familiar with either but took a glance at the one website- and was a bit sticker shocked at some of the prices. I am not sure what type of bird you are interested in but would suggest also considering adoption. There are so many birds out there in need of good homes.

Last edited:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you research these places you'll find info saying they are "brokers", not breeders. I got sticker shock looking at many of their prices.

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
Thank you all for responding. Personally, I would never purchase a bird from a broker, which is what Ana's and Lily's (a sister location) are. If you check various forums, they all agree that they are over priced and the equivalent of a puppy mill. I have also seen complaints regarding shipping sick birds and not honoring their guarantee. I threw this question out there because I was interested in hearing your opinions. Very mixed bag of responses, much like responses on other forums. :meh:

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
I heard that Ana’s is pretty good and will get a vet check prior to the sale if you requested it. Never heard of the other one.

Prices vary across the country.
If that is the case, then I would highly recommend you request one prior to shipping/purchasing. Just based on what I've read on other forums.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you all for responding. Personally, I would never purchase a bird from a broker, which is what Ana's and Lily's (a sister location) are. If you check various forums, they all agree that they are over priced and the equivalent of a puppy mill. I have also seen complaints regarding shipping sick birds and not honoring their guarantee. I threw this question out there because I was interested in hearing your opinions. Very mixed bag of responses, much like responses on other forums. :meh:
No, you didn't. You brought it up so you could bad-mouth them on this forum. Shame on you.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Reading through the summaries on the different species on Ana's website, it was said that you need a permit to keep a Goffin as a pet. I didn't know that...can someone enlighten me on if that is true?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only parrot not legal to own in PA is a Quaker.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The only parrot not legal to own in PA is a Quaker.
...right...but the website says you need a permit to own a G2...it doesn't say it's illegal to own one. I notice that it says it is a CITES regulation that says you have to have a permit. I know there are regulations on some more threatened species...LSCs are not to be sold outside the state they residing in at the moment, I believe.

On a side note....about 7 or 8 years ago...the PA legislature tried to outlaw ownership of Nanday Conures here in PA...one of our local legislators was co-sponsor of this bill...so I contacted him and asked (respectfully) why he did that...he replied (in a very rude manner) that, "The birds are pests...they take down power lines"...

Obviously, the legislation never went anywhere...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Reading through the summaries on the different species on Ana's website, it was said that you need a permit to keep a Goffin as a pet. I didn't know that...can someone enlighten me on if that is true?
Goffins are a CITES Appendix I species so technically yes, however I believe they mostly apply to selling and importing/exporting. I

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know someone that owns a G2 & didn't have to get a permit. She got it from a pet store/breeder.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Goffins are a CITES Appendix I species so technically yes, however I believe they mostly apply to selling and importing/exporting. I

...thanks for the info... :)

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I once got a bird through her. I was very, very new to the whole “bird buying online” process and was sure she was going to scam me. I paid several thousand for the bird. But he came! I immediately took him to the vet though just because I was nervous and did not trust her word on vet checked (sorry, but skeptical) and all blood work came back good. From the day I got the bird (it was a Galah) he was the sweetest, most affectionate and playful guy. My sister owns him now and he still gets his check up every year. I don’t know if I’d ever do it again but she was legit!