• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An Update on Titus's Health (opinions welcome)

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
So I recently got bloodwork done for both tiels. Ziggy is the picture of health, except for some high fat levels so we're adjusting his diet. Titus, on the other hand, is doing less well. I've posted before that Titus is very skinny, has been the entire time I have had him, and does not seem to either gain or lose weight. This is the first time I've been able to get bloodwork done, and the results are very high potassium, low protein, and low calcium. The vet took a few days to read and research what this could mean for him.

He said that based on his reading it seems that Titus isn't getting much nutrients from his food, especially protein. He thinks this most likely means an issue with his intestinal tract since his blood levels don't point to an issue with his liver or his kidneys. He said the only way to know for sure would be to cut him open and do a biopsy, but the doctor frankly doesn't think he would survive that.

He compared it to IBS in humans, and said that in a mammal the easy solution is steroids to reduce inflammation, but you can't give steroids to birds. So he wants to prescribe twice a day, two antibiotics and a probiotic and check back in in a couple weeks to see if he gains weight. Basically his body does not have the nutrients it needs to support itself. And he is afraid that if we don't fix it, we will just find him dead one day. Very scary!

I picked up his medicine today. It's .09mL of amoxicillin/clavulanate twice a day, .03mL Metronidazole twice a day, and Harrison's Fauna Flora probiotic to sprinkle on his food. Instructions are to use 1/3 of the 2 oz packet per day, which seems like a lot, but I am not a vet.

I just wanted to update you all, and see if you had any advice regarding anything in this situation. Thank you for always being there for us.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can do this.

Secret is my old bird with medical issues. She's still hanging in there despite bad results from her blood draws.

I thought MC was younger and I'd have him longer but a tumor and cancer ended his life.

We do what we can and we hang in there because at the least, we know they are loved.

I haven't seen any posts from her recently but this lady is very knowledgeable. She's helped me a ton. She's got a macaw that needs a lot of care but if she is able, maybe she can chime in @Hankmacaw

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Thank you. I'm struggling to feel right now like I'm a good mama or like things will be okay. He really is my baby, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes-- I'm just also so afraid.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It sounds like your vet is on the right track and has a plan for Titus. The one thing that I think may help him eve further is prozyme. It is an enzyme that predigests their food, so that the nutrition is directly absorbed, with no need for digestion.

I have a bird with PDD and that actually starves them to death because the nerves in their stomach that tell the body to produce the digestive chemicals no longer work. She gets prozyme with every meal and that along with her medications has kept her alive for 1 1/3 years - much longer than she was expected to live.

You can also hand feed him a high calorie, high fat (unsaturated fats only) mixture. If you have questions Ple.ase ask.

As always, discuss this with your vet before implementing.

Please don't waste your energy on being scared. Just concentrate on helping Titus

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you. I'm struggling to feel right now like I'm a good mama or like things will be okay. He really is my baby, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes-- I'm just also so afraid.
Take it one day at a time. You have a community of friends here to listen and help.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Thank you so much for the advice! I’ll make sure to ask my vet about the prozyme next time I talk to him.

As for this part
Please don't waste your energy on being scared. Just concentrate on helping Titus
This is what I keep telling myself. Panicking won’t help him at all.