• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An update on our budgie with respiratory symptoms

Voodoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
Hey fellow bird lovers! If you saw my previous post, you know what's going on. But in case you didn't, our 8 month old parakeet whom we call no name has been showing symptoms of respiratory illness since Monday evening. It is currently 2:50 pm on Wednesday, 7/8/2020. He is still having some tail bobbing, but when he sits still it pretty much stops. At night he seems to be experiencing less tail bobbing for some odd reason. I took our little baby out earlier today and his tail was bobbing after for a bit. We've only had him for about 3 months, so he still isn't completely used to us. Last night, what scared me the most was he was really poofy, as if he was cold, and then was extending his neck and opening his beak very very wide, as if choking, gagging, or after some research, trying to catch his breath. He has not done that since, he is still very active, talkative, and he is eating and drinking normally. I haven't noticed any change in his stools, in fact he pooped on me this morning and everything seemed normal. My mom thinks he stressed himself out and became nervous because of the fireworks over the fourth of July weekend. Though fireworks have not been going on for 4 days, and I did not notice any tail bobbing or signs of illness before Monday evening. I have a few videos of his tail bobbing, both from different angles. Here they are:
and

Voodoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
Hey fellow bird lovers! If you saw my previous post, you know what's going on. But in case you didn't, our 8 month old parakeet whom we call no name has been showing symptoms of respiratory illness since Monday evening. It is currently 2:50 pm on Wednesday, 7/8/2020. He is still having some tail bobbing, but when he sits still it pretty much stops. At night he seems to be experiencing less tail bobbing for some odd reason. I took our little baby out earlier today and his tail was bobbing after for a bit. We've only had him for about 3 months, so he still isn't completely used to us. Last night, what scared me the most was he was really poofy, as if he was cold, and then was extending his neck and opening his beak very very wide, as if choking, gagging, or after some research, trying to catch his breath. He has not done that since, he is still very active, talkative, and he is eating and drinking normally. I haven't noticed any change in his stools, in fact he pooped on me this morning and everything seemed normal. My mom thinks he stressed himself out and became nervous because of the fireworks over the fourth of July weekend. Though fireworks have not been going on for 4 days, and I did not notice any tail bobbing or signs of illness before Monday evening. I have a few videos of his tail bobbing, both from different angles. Here they are:
and

Voodoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
I dont see any significant tail movement.
the videos don't quite show how much I can see it in person, but what I'm finding is a lot of pet owners online had budgies that did this their entire lives. But I never noticed this before, that's why I'm nervous

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
We've only had him for about 3 months, so he still isn't completely used to us.
I took our little baby out earlier today and his tail was bobbing after for a bit
He is scared. Their tales bob when they're anxious. Please stop doing this to him, let him come to you in his own time.
was extending his neck and opening his beak very very wide, as if choking, gagging, or after some research, trying to catch his breath
Normal behaviour - he's adjusting his crop. Research where, Google?

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
Opening mouth is simply adjusting his/her crop and its normal.

My budgie has respiratory infection. She is on antibiotic and is doing much better. These were her symptoms and maybe this will help you understand it better. There are many other symptoms.

Decreased thirst
tail bopping
panting
squeaking
Feather plucking
Depression

This website has all of the other symptoms. Please check it out and if you feel your budgie has any of this, take your budgie to the vet ASAP. From your video it looks normal. But if you see your budgie panting and trying to breath hard (check their tail and chest) when he is simply resting and is not stress then its a warning sign.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I feel like this is not the right time and I’m sorry if I offend anyone but can you change his perches? Wooden dowels aren’t the best instead I would get him
Natural perches they are way better for their feet. I didn’t read your last post ,and I don’t know if your changing them, Or if there is other types of perches in his cage.Also try not to scare him. I’m sorry if I offended anyone here I just wanted to be sure you knew!