• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An uncertain future

Branch

Meeting neighbors
If you saw my last post, my parrot got stuck in his harness and I was barely able to cute him out. I know harness training isn't an option for him anymore. I'm thinking about free flight training him. And what I mean is kinda like I can't put a harness or anything on him so if he flies into a tree I can recall him back, I don't really like having him spin around in circles in the air (He's a GCC by the way). I also will definitely buy him a carrier but I like for him to be able to like actually interact with nature maybe once a week. Do you guys think that will work?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think it has zero chance of working.
If you are not a good enough trainer to accilmate your bird to a harness, you will not be successful in outdoor free flight and recalls.
And also, small birds are very likely to be taken by a hawk.
I suggest just using the carrier to take him out since you have soured yourself on a harness. I still think he could be trained but you don't want to.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do think you should take a step back and consider if you are capable of this training correctly. Even extremely experienced free flighters have lost their parrots for a time period. A properly fitting harness should not have any way of being stuck on a bird. There are also other harness designs like the Flight Suit that do not go over the head that may work better for you.

Experiencing nature doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can get a carrier that has a removable bottom and sit him in the grass. You could plant a bird safe garden inside your home. You could see if there are any greenhouses that would allow you to practice recall in a safely enclosed area.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It's not too hard for a bird to get spooked from things we didn't even know they would get spooked by. Outside is an uncontrolled environment, full of predators sudden gusts of wind ect. Why not try out a bird carrier or a packobird?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I know harness training isn't an option for him anymore.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.”
― Henry Ford

I agree with other comments which don't recommend progressing to running (outdoor free flight) if you tripped and skinned your knee while walking (harness training).
I'd regress to crawling (earn their trust), and get back to walking.

Jogging around the block
It's not impossible but it's very risky. A green cheek is a small bird, that is more prone to spooking, getting taken by a bird of prey, caught in a wind current, ect.
I used to have free range pigeons, that used to just come back to roost at night in our shed. There's more times than I can count on my fingers that my birds were inches away from being caught by a falcon or hawk. And the amount of times that they have almost gotten lost/flown away is the same number. It has caused a lot of stress for me, I had to catch each individual bird and transfer them to an outdoor aviary, and there is one bird I am still struggling to get back today.
In short, it's really not worth it.

Branch

Meeting neighbors
I decided to use another brand of harness that he can't get stuck in. Also, I am extremely confused about how you guys know I have a green cheek. Wait, my profile pic...