• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An unattended cockatoo

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Miss Coco’s been a very bad girl at Grandma’s house. My brother in law was supposed to be watching her, and when he left for work, he left her cage open, and also the pantry door. Miss Coco got into the pantry, chewed through the flour, somehow opened a box of chocolates, and ate a bunch of those too. Look at the mess! Who’s going to clean this up?

Very bad girl!!!!

And now, she has diarrhoea.........

73D141A3-3D60-4087-8B79-2BA2429FFADF.jpeg 4B8D4DFA-6E61-4800-BEAC-B18499CD4036.jpeg 1686231D-0A6B-4B54-98FD-ED735DF46C7F.jpeg G

Grandma is not a happy camper this morning........

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh poor Coco. How much chocolate did she ingest, I wonder if you should take her to a vet.

The caffeine in chocolate is very dangerous to birds.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think grandma was being the bad girl. Coco was just teaching grandma a lesson and taking advantage of her lack of ........................................ supervision. :lol:

Good girl Coco.

Wthensler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
The amazing thing is how hard those chocolates are to get at. The box is completely childproof, and very difficult to open for adults. Darn beaks on those toos!!!

She ate flour and probably several large chocolate crunchies, but she appears to be fine this morning.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully your brother in law has learnt his lesson! Coco is just doing what any parrot would.

I hope she's okay - please take her to the vet if anything seems even the slightest bit wrong.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You're lucky that's all she did. I can't even imagine the destruction I would come home to if my 'too was left unsupervised all day. I hope she's okay. I'm sure you know- chocolate isn't good for birds.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Miss Coco’s been a very bad girl at Grandma’s house. My brother in law was supposed to be watching her, and when he left for work, he left her cage open, and also the pantry door. Miss Coco got into the pantry, chewed through the flour, somehow opened a box of chocolates, and ate a bunch of those too. Look at the mess! Who’s going to clean this up?

Very bad girl!!!!

And now, she has diarrhoea.........

View attachment 323224 View attachment 323225 View attachment 323226 G

Grandma is not a happy camper this morning........
A too is always very inquisitive. You give them the slightest opportunity, and they'll take it.
And they'll have a field day having fun, even if it's bad fun. I learned to that with a too, you really have to too proof the house....lol....easier said than done.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Chocolate is toxic to parrots ,
Diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration, followed by central nervous system shutdown and Death ! Not something to wait and see what happens. Bird is not bad , shame should be directed to the human in charge of taking care of bird. Even a small amount of chocolate ingested is potentially fatal to birds.
:(

Wthensler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Thank you all for your response. We’re keeping a close eye on her, and she appears to be fine, is eating and no longer having watery stools. I appreciate everyone’s concern, and we will take steps to prevent a recurrence.

It was a human fault, not an avian fault........

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The amazing thing is how hard those chocolates are to get at. The box is completely childproof, and very difficult to open for adults. Darn beaks on those toos!!!

She ate flour and probably several large chocolate crunchies, but she appears to be fine this morning.
You'd be surprised at the things that are hard to get into is actually a piece of cake to a too. The harder it is, the more they want it. Think about how hard it is for you to crack open a shelled almond, with your teeth.....a too breaks it like butter.
The thing about chocolate, it's all bad for them...however the real culprit of danger lies in the actual amount of coaco content in it. The higher the amount, the more dangerous it will be for them.

Wthensler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Just to update, since Guess Who had to clean the mess, it turns out she didn’t really ingest much of the flour or chocolate at all. She did, however, remove all the wrappings. as foragers tend to do.

She’s now on top of her cage this morning, whining away because Grandma won’t let her on the couch.

Attachments

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for the update. I am glad she is doing alright.

Continue to keep a careful eye on her, not only for her wonderful adventures, but also for her wellbeing. I still worry about the chocolate.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not something to wait and see what happens. Bird is not bad , shame should be directed to the human in charge of taking care of bird. Even a small amount of chocolate ingested is potentially fatal to birds.
I would not take this event lightly. Your bird may seem OK to you but the ingestion of poision can harm multiple organs. Making your birds enviornment safe is of primary importance. Its good to education everyone in your home on bird safety needs.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I got halfway down the road yesterday, realized I may have left a feeder door open, and turned around to go home! Better safe than sorry, Chipper wants to eat our wooden barn door! Haha

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
You're lucky that's all she did. I can't even imagine the destruction I would come home to if my 'too was left unsupervised all day. I hope she's okay. I'm sure you know- chocolate isn't good for birds.
Could you picture Elvis left alone out of his cage? Oh wow I wonder what would go first?! :eek::scared5::lol: