• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An intriguing (depressing?) discovery re: Kamara

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am overjoyed to hear your progress with Kamara.These grey chickens can certainly take their time sizing us up before allowing us be become a member of their flock!
This is such exciting news!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
So is it that it is, the species of Congo African Greys are timid?
I had a wild caught White Front Amazon, and she was not tame, but after 25 years together she would fly to my shoulder, scream, take a peanut from my hands, not a touchy feely type bird, I just don't remember her taking as a long to accept me as Paco has. Then again it was 25 years ago.

kingkrab

Moving in
It's not the fact that she has a bond with someone else (she could hate me forever and it wouldn't hurt my feelings, I know better than that), it's her being miserable and lonely that hurts me. If I knew Kamara was found outside because she'd been lost, and I could find her old people, I'd be over the moon to reunite them!

But I don't know anything about her past. Or who she used to be with. I can't heal her wounds. :(

I just want my little ol' girl to be happy. Whatever that takes, whatever she needs.
Hi- did you try finding her previous owners? We lost our precious female timneh 2 years ago and had ads in the paper, 911 parrots, etc. Someone called and had her but decided to keep her. We're still heartbroken over this loss. Pls contact the local vets, hospitals, police and 911 Parrots letting them know you found her. Someone must be heartbroken and not only Kamara. Is there a band on her foot?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi- did you try finding her previous owners? We lost our precious female timneh 2 years ago and had ads in the paper, 911 parrots, etc. Someone called and had her but decided to keep her. We're still heartbroken over this loss. Pls contact the local vets, hospitals, police and 911 Parrots letting them know you found her. Someone must be heartbroken and not only Kamara. Is there a band on her foot?
I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet bird and that the person who found her won't return her.

@hrafn adopted Kamara from the Humane Society a few years ago. They would have done all they could to find her original owners, including scanning for a microchip. No one came forward to claim her.

kingkrab

Moving in
I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet bird and that the person who found her won't return her.

@hrafn adopted Kamara from the Humane Society a few years ago. They would have done all they could to find her original owners, including scanning for a microchip. No one came forward to claim her.
Thank you. Coquette was the love of our lives. It’s still very hard and I know she misses us. We adopted another grey, with special needs- but it’s not the same. He’s been in and out of shelters for the last 10 years at least and didn’t have a band on his leg. He had part of his foot removed and the vet didn’t put the band back on. We don’t know his age but he intensely dislikes human contact. His wings were clipped and have since grown back. Birds need to fly for health reasons and confidence. Maybe one day, he’ll trust us enough to give him some scratches on his neck/under his chin, but it’s doubtful-but that’s ok.

I recommend making an effort to find the original owners and return her. Local newspaper ads in the lost and found are often free. 911 Parrot Alert is free and on FB. There are many ways to try locating the owners. I’ve found birds and most of the time have successfully returned them to their “owners”. If she’s banded, that information should not be given out either in the ad or otherwise until someone confirms it first from their end. That’s the way to id the bird to the real “parent owner". She could also be chipped. If that’s the case, any avian vet could scan that information and find out who the “parent owner" is. Chips are located in the chest region.

kingkrab

Moving in

Just saw the message above. Was she banded?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just saw the message above. Was she banded?
No, she was neither banded nor chipped at the time of her rescue, unfortunately. She was outside in a tree and had to be caught by peace officers who brought her to the humane society. She was there for a good while before being placed for adoption, as she was very ill and battered and had severe damage to her feet. I imagine they did everything they could to find her old humans, but with no luck.

I also checked around for several months after I adopted her to see whether anyone had put up ads looking for her, but never saw any.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really am sorry that you lost Coquette. Thank you for taking another bird into your home. There is a section of the forum for birds with special needs e.g. foot amputations, and they can give lots of advice on setting up a suitable cage and helping his confidence. Click on this link --> Special Needs Crossing

I understand that you are grieving your lost bird, but in the gentlest possible way, I'd like to point out that you are projecting your grief onto this very different situation. You are making a lot of assumptions about Kamara, @hrafn and the adoption process they went through, and I don't think it's helpful for you or kind to hrafn. Knowing something of hrafn's experience here and the condition that Kamara was found in, I don't think it's the case that someone is out there still desperately searching for her. Kamara herself has damage to her feet and spent a long time in a shelter. The shelter would have advertised her and people looking for their lost bird, vets and others involved in reuniting birds with their humans usually keep an eye on shelter listings. No one came forward to claim her.

Happily, Kamara found a home where she is loved and taken care of, with someone who is gentle and patient with her.

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Just joined this thread, I can't believe someone would keep a pet bird that was not theirs. That's heartbreaking.

Paco has had 2 owners and I don't know a lot about his past, just a little to know it wasn't a;ways nice. He did have a nice home with last lady. I do have a problem with him wanting to bite sometimes and it's mostly my arm when I ask him to step up. Then he turns around and is a sweetie nibbling warm brown rice off my fingers. As I read more on here about Greys is that they are very intelligent (we know that for sure) One thing I've noticed they are sensitive, moody and unpredictable. I love Kamara's name, and I think with time and patience she will come around.

Sounds like she has had a rough life and is still getting over it. These guys are the most amazing parrots I have ever encountered. I will talk to Paco and he looks at me sooo intently like he is really paying attention and comprehending my speech, it's down right spooky sometimes and he cracks me up. I am confident with time and love Kamara will learn to accept you.

To be lost and without her human, the damage to her feet, being in a shelter would traumatize anyone much less then a sensitive intelligent bird such as a grey.

I look forward to more posts and her progress.

kingkrab

Moving in
Is Kama a
I really am sorry that you lost Coquette. Thank you for taking another bird into your home. There is a section of the forum for birds with special needs e.g. foot amputations, and they can give lots of advice on setting up a suitable cage and helping his confidence. Click on this link --> Special Needs Crossing

I understand that you are grieving your lost bird, but in the gentlest possible way, I'd like to point out that you are projecting your grief onto this very different situation. You are making a lot of assumptions about Kamara, @hrafn and the adoption process they went through, and I don't think it's helpful for you or kind to hrafn. Knowing something of hrafn's experience here and the condition that Kamara was found in, I don't think it's the case that someone is out there still desperately searching for her. Kamara herself has damage to her feet and spent a long time in a shelter. The shelter would have advertised her and people looking for their lost bird, vets and others involved in reuniting birds with their humans usually keep an eye on shelter listings. No one came forward to claim her.

Happily, Kamara found a home where she is loved and taken care of, with someone who is gentle and patient with her.
I just reread kamara’s post and see she tried to find the owners. No, I’m not projecting my loss on her. As an avian activist, our small group tries finding the original owners for lost birds in our vicinity. We work with different organizations including local law enforcement to reunite lost birds with their owners. Unfortunately, people do keep birds they find without thinking or knowing about resources that can possibly connect the original owners to them.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well not only that, there a a lot of people that do not use social media, I have quite a few friends that refuse to . Greys are also able to fly great distances, I'm sure there is no way to no how long she was outside. I don't know the entire story so I won't comment further. I do know if it were my bird I was be hysterical in trying to locate it. Maybe they were glad to get rid of it, or didn't care if it was gone, they are not a parrot for everyone. That is probably a mystery that will never be solved.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@kingkrab it sounds like you have a lot of experience in reuniting lost birds with their families. Perhaps you could start a new thread to share some tips for what to do if you find a lost bird or if your bird flies away? This might be a good place to put it so people can find it easily --> The Highway Home

Your advice is applicable to a lot of other people who have just found or lost a bird, rather than someone who has adopted a bird through the proper channels.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well not only that, there a a lot of people that do not use social media, I have quite a few friends that refuse to . Greys are also able to fly great distances, I'm sure there is no way to no how long she was outside. I don't know the entire story so I won't comment further. I do know if it were my bird I was be hysterical in trying to locate it. Maybe they were glad to get rid of it, or didn't care if it was gone, they are not a parrot for everyone. That is probably a mystery that will never be solved.
Yeah, like me! Social media groups are trying to take the world over :scared6:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow I love facebook. I found school friends from 40 years ago. One friend I made 20 years ago was from Scotland, thought I would never see or hear from her again. Yep I did on Facebook, we even video chat for free. I love it, great way to post pics, recipes and keep up with long distance family.