• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An impulse buy?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Taming birds is a life long commitment. Also, you have to notice the small steps.

It seems to me, you are unexperienced. There’s nothing wrong with that, we where all beginners once :)

Parrots are very sensitive. One step forward, three steps back. If you get frustrated, your bird will know. It will set back whatever you won.

try hanging around your bird for a while. Not handing it, just hanging around. Talk with him. Make him understand you are a fun dude to hang with. And only when your bird is comfortable INSIDE the cage, then you can start training outside. Youtube has looots of great videos.

but i can not stress it enough: ONLY WORK WITH YOUR BIRD WHEN YOU ARE IN A CALM AND RELAXED STATE.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Will he take it from an object? Pinch it in a clothespin and offer that. I'd also work on just step up/down on to a perch, if hands are scary. I did that with Rupert for a long time.
he doesn't really like the perch, he hisses at it :/

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Taming birds is a life long commitment. Also, you have to notice the small steps.

It seems to me, you are unexperienced. There’s nothing wrong with that, we where all beginners once :)

Parrots are very sensitive. One step forward, three steps back. If you get frustrated, your bird will know. It will set back whatever you won.

try hanging around your bird for a while. Not handing it, just hanging around. Talk with him. Make him understand you are a fun dude to hang with. And only when your bird is comfortable INSIDE the cage, then you can start training outside. Youtube has looots of great videos.

but i can not stress it enough: ONLY WORK WITH YOUR BIRD WHEN YOU ARE IN A CALM AND RELAXED STATE.
got it, thank you so much!!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
he doesn't really like the perch, he hisses at it :/
I'd try to incentivize as much as possible. Example: Before a meal, try to have him step up so that you can take him to his bowl. I'd tap the bowl and ask "you hungry?".