• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An impulse buy?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hey! I'm Outstrech, owner of a tiel named Onion. (I changed its name) Onion loves:

Eating
Sleeping

And that's it...
I mean, he's got toys, lots of cage space, an open door, and literally everything else I can think of. He does take millet from my hand but absolutely despises anything relating to stepping up or bonding in any other way.

I've tried:
Veggies
Target training
Clicker training
Speech training

None of which have worked. I got so frustrated with Onion that I have a deep feeling of jealousy and guilt upon seeing other tame tiels. And this isn't just social media. Friends also have completely tamed tiels. I'm considering getting a baby tiel for Onion to get him to open up and maybe as a friend.

I really want the best for Onion. This tiel isn't just for Onion though, also for me. But I'm concerned I'm impulse buying instead of thinking this through.

Miscellanious info:
Onion is 7 months old.
Onion has been with me for 5 months
Onion has come out of his cage 3 times
Onion is eating pellets but not veggies or fruits even if they have millet on them.

Thank you if you reply! :)

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
By baby I mean a young weaned tiel

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
With all due respect, you got your current bird at 8 weeks old, that's very young. Why would a second bird be any different?

It's possible a second bird could bond with your first bird and not be too interested in you. So would you be ok with that?

And if the second bird did bond with you over the first bird, would you be able to treat them equally? Same time spent with each? Same new toys given? Same love received?

Definitely have a good think about your choice. Just be sure you're doing what is best for your bird :)

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I've been there, its not easy. I'm sorry for what you are going through with Onion but what Zara is saying is totally right! Keep trying with the vegetables, maybe put some water on them or offer sprouts.
I have two budgies, I used to want a cockatiel but now that I've thoroughly thought it through I know that I can't keep anymore birds right now. With that said, give yourself some time to think about it a little more, I'm sure whatever you decide is going to be just fine. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You haven’t tamed your bird yet. So if you get another you’ll have 2 untame birds.

if target and clicker training haven’t worked, my apologies, but you’re probably doing it wrong. Either going too fast or else (this is so common) a little off with the timing. Be sure to watch true experts, not those who think they are ;) or show us a video of your target training and someone here can help you.

I have several cockatiels and have owned them since 1986. They’re shy, gentle creatures who need to be treated gently and respectfully. You can’t rush them to like and trust you. It’s helpful to talk, sing, or read to them. Open the cage and just go about your business so your bird can watch you. Offer Onion’s favorite treat through the bars several times a day. Do that every day so he learns that you represent good things.

I once spent 30 days concentrating on hanging out and reading to mine, after reading I invited them both to land on a tabletop perch and take a treat. That’s all I did or expected of them for a whole month. It made a huge difference.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd work with Onion. He deserves more of a chance. Pets don't always turn out the way we'd pictured. That's life. You don't give up on or replace those you truly love. :)

People here (not me) can help you with Onion in the Training Court.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Have you tried foraging activities?
Could you give a few examples?
I'd work with Onion. He deserves more of a chance. Pets don't always turn out the way we'd pictured. That's life. You don't give up on or replace those you truly love. :)

People here (not me) can help you with Onion in the Training Court.
Got it! I'll make a post there soon.
With all due respect, you got your current bird at 8 weeks old, that's very young. Why would a second bird be any different?

It's possible a second bird could bond with your first bird and not be too interested in you. So would you be ok with that?

And if the second bird did bond with you over the first bird, would you be able to treat them equally? Same time spent with each? Same new toys given? Same love received?

Definitely have a good think about your choice. Just be sure you're doing what is best for your bird :)
I will 100% do a lot of research and think about what is right for me. Thanks for giving me this advice!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Something I do fear I might do is that if, say, I got a tame one (The shop I'm going to get, if I do, get one is hand taming them) I might "favor" it more than Onion. Which is obviously not good! So, I'll be sure to treat the the same with the same amount of love. I think I need to learn to accept whatever kind of bird Onion is-even if it's one that doesn't love humans.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could you give a few examples?
If he has never tried foraging before, something like a foraging tray could work..
Get a plate, preferably with a lip, put a hand full of small beads, or marbles, or plastic button, anything you have that is safe for birds.
Then sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of seeds over the top. For the first time you might find adding the seeds in front of him helps.

Something I do fear I might do is that if, say, I got a tame one (The shop I'm going to get, if I do, get one is hand taming them) I might "favor" it more than Onion.
Honestly, if you feel that way, I would just not get another bird. Not until you are sure you can treat them equally.
What if you bring home a new bird, and you spend more time and energy with the new bird, and the new bird doesn´t get on with your first? He will remain lonely.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
If he has never tried foraging before, something like a foraging tray could work..
Get a plate, preferably with a lip, put a hand full of small beads, or marbles, or plastic button, anything you have that is safe for birds.
Then sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of seeds over the top. For the first time you might find adding the seeds in front of him helps.

Honestly, if you feel that way, I would just not get another bird. Not until you are sure you can treat them equally.
What if you bring home a new bird, and you spend more time and energy with the new bird, and the new bird doesn´t get on with your first? He will remain lonely.
I'll try the foraging thing today. I have tried (I think these are) foraging toys in the past, DIY ones specifically. The only succesfully one was when I covered his food bowl with paper and taped it, he had a blast ripping the paper off and eating the food. Is this a good option?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'll try the foraging thing today. I have tried (I think these are) foraging toys in the past, DIY ones specifically. The only succesfully one was when I covered his food bowl with paper and taped it, he had a blast ripping the paper off and eating the food. Is this a good option?
that works, but supervise to make sure the tape isn't chewed on.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, I have had many foster birds come into my life because of exactly what you’ve posted. The bird they have just isn’t living up to their expectations of what they think their bird should be and so they give it up in search of what they hope is a more perfect fit for them. Or, they buy a new baby and decide that they can’t devote as much time to 2 birds anymore, so out the old one goes and they just pray that baby #2 doesn’t grow up to be exactly like their now older bird. They see “other” birds do tricks or talk or some fancy whatever, and they want and expect that out of any bird they own.

Each and every single bird is an individual. They each have their own personalities. Even social media darling birds can (and do) have things in their personalities and behaviors that isn’t all roses. My best ever talking cockatiel knew over a hundred words. Guess what? He was also my naughtiest. Constantly naughty. My best trick trained conure? A screamer. He could out puzzle the african greys and macaws, and knew 20+ hand signals! My favorite; he would go up to you and say “Bang!” and then fall over and play dead. Then he laughed like a jackal. Everyone who ever met him loved him!! And yet no one knew or ever had to deal with him getting into a tizzy and scream for hours.

There are good things and not so good things with EVERY animal. A new baby is no guarantee that you’re getting the bird of your dreams.

Remember that on social media, they hardly mention or do a vid on the hard stuff. And yet, every bird has its downsides.

There are Tiel owners on this forum who would be insanely jealous of what you have. A perch potato? Heck yes, if they’re pulling their hair out over their tiel that won’t stop trashing their blinds or eating the carpet every second it has out of cage time.

Tiels are some of the most trainable birds. I beg you, don’t give up on your young Tiel. Even if you feel it’s a lazy poof. And yours might be... but that’s not a problem. It’s just a speed bump. Even lazy tiels can do amazing things. It just takes some creativity.

And if you don’t have that creativity? That’s okay too. We can help you find things to love about your bird. We can help you find his special!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
can we get some pictures of your cockatiel and what's his name?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Ok bad news guys...
he suddenly stopped taking millet from my hand. I've been doing everything exactly the same but I'm not sure what happened. Any tips?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Will he take it from an object? Pinch it in a clothespin and offer that. I'd also work on just step up/down on to a perch, if hands are scary. I did that with Rupert for a long time.