• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

amylase is too high

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
@Idaho Spud
It will take time... and also:
Patience
Trial and Error
Perseverance
Perspective
Understanding
Hard firms ;)

There are a multitude of ways to make your dinosaur happy AND healthy. But it does take the above to ensure they positively progress. It is a lot of information to take in- so feel free to ask oodles of questions.
Thank you, so much...I'm learning a wealth of information today, steamed some rice and quinoa, boiled some eggs, chopped some vegi's, baking a sweet potato now, have some chia seeds, lentils and hard winter wheat in a kerr jar in fridge, to sprout...on my way...now to get her to eat it...lol

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
No problemo!

You will find that sweet potato is a life saver, same with butternut squash- It has all the properties- its all about the fruit and veggies. Just keep pushing them-
you will find: It takes patience to cut them and clean them up off the walls and floor
Trial and error to determine what are the favorites
Perseverence: to continue to offer- knowing they will be discarded. But keep going!
Perspective to understand the size/shape that she prefers
Understanding that this is new to them, so it takes time to try new things

You can mix her old food, with the new. Or sprinkle the old food over the new.
Do you have a gram scale for the bird?

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Yes starch is a large carbohydrate, which can be broken down to glucose, which is often stored as lipid in the liver, and can be used to produce triglyserine. Which provide energy, just like carbohydrats and protein. So I can follow you on that.
Also with the fat being a problem, because fatty acids that exceeds the capasity of the liver can lead to it not being able to form low density lipoproteins.

However mobilization of excessive amounts of triglyserines from adipose tissue can also be a problem. And so feeding a diet too ritch on starch for the animals energy needs, can also cause a problem with fatty liver, and is quite often seen in domestic animal holding.

Which means using corn starch instead of corn flour would probably not be ideal. The amount of starch in various vegetables is one thing, its another in human foods which it sounds like the bird likes, we take the starch out, consentrate it and put it back into so many foodgroups to get the rigth consistancy..instant noodles as an example are high in starch.

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Yes starch is a large carbohydrate
Not to downplay your comments on this subject, they are a good thought process. But it is very different for Ekkies.
Just like it is different for lorries with sugar.

Reactions: tka

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Pyropus

Maybe we are saying similar things- but rice and quinoa are great transitional foods (from bacon and cheese, hehe) to high starch items like sweet potatoes, and high sugar items like fruit that ekkies need to survive. Their advanced anatomy is completely differnt than other companion parrots. They process food for energy in a very different way than almost any other animal on earth.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
I am aware all animals are different, but a lot builds on the same system, it comes down to how much is too much. I do not disagree on the thougth prosess of chaning it out to a natural diet, my main focus was frankly on the bread backing and the fact that some places corn flour is used about corn starch. And the fact that it also seem to be eating some starch heavy things like noodles. (The bacon is sort of given, but many places says that giving pasta to birds or use it in toys are fine).

Nutritional needs differs both with species and individual based on lifestyle obviously. But if it already has a fatty liver, then there are two things to look out for, my biology and physological lexicas do not have tables for what is to high levels, but they do go in detail about the biological building blocks and issues related too them.

And you do not want to go from one issue too another, not disagreeing on the diet as I have no clue what would be a good put togther there, but its probably not wise to use things like instant noodles to transition. Also rice btw is not rice ;) that one I know cause everytime my curent pet get sick I has to go out and get white rice for its sensitive medicated belly, because the rice we eat would be to hard to digest

Just saying cause that would be what the chef in the house would ask next, quinoa and rice, ok but what rice (there normally at least 3 types in our drawers).

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
No problemo!

You will find that sweet potato is a life saver, same with butternut squash- It has all the properties- its all about the fruit and veggies. Just keep pushing them-
you will find: It takes patience to cut them and clean them up off the walls and floor
Trial and error to determine what are the favorites
Perseverence: to continue to offer- knowing they will be discarded. But keep going!
Perspective to understand the size/shape that she prefers
Understanding that this is new to them, so it takes time to try new things

You can mix her old food, with the new. Or sprinkle the old food over the new.
Do you have a gram scale for the bird?
No, I don't have a gram scale, do I need to get one? What do I use it for? Please, ignore my ignorance. Should her food that I make up for her, be fresh and not cooked? She ate the kidney beans and picked through the meal I created for her..not in her cage though, I had to hold the dish for her, while she sat on my shoulder, she flung her head many, many times, and like you said, I'm covered in it, but I'm so amazed at what she did eat. I'm so happy!

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
@Pyropus

Maybe we are saying similar things- but rice and quinoa are great transitional foods (from bacon and cheese, hehe) to high starch items like sweet potatoes, and high sugar items like fruit that ekkies need to survive. Their advanced anatomy is completely differnt than other companion parrots. They process food for energy in a very different way than almost any other animal on earth.
I used some turmeric in this first meal, and I squeezed some orange over the top of it, she totally avoided the orange bell pepper though, I was so amazed that she ate almost all the rice and quinoa, it's the most I've seen her eat all day. I did make homemade noodles the other day with seminole flour, is it the same as starch found in store bought noodles? I've not given her any, but I know she likes macaroni noodles. More fruits, and vegi's, now she is back on her cage and rubbing her beak over everything, it was quite messy...hahahaha, but so happy to see her eat, then pick and throw her foods on the bottom of cage.

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
I am aware all animals are different, but a lot builds on the same system, it comes down to how much is too much. I do not disagree on the thougth prosess of chaning it out to a natural diet, my main focus was frankly on the bread backing and the fact that some places corn flour is used about corn starch. And the fact that it also seem to be eating some starch heavy things like noodles. (The bacon is sort of given, but many places says that giving pasta to birds or use it in toys are fine).

Nutritional needs differs both with species and individual based on lifestyle obviously. But if it already has a fatty liver, then there are two things to look out for, my biology and physological lexicas do not have tables for what is to high levels, but they do go in detail about the biological building blocks and issues related too them.

And you do not want to go from one issue too another, not disagreeing on the diet as I have no clue what would be a good put togther there, but its probably not wise to use things like instant noodles to transition. Also rice btw is not rice ;) that one I know cause everytime my curent pet get sick I has to go out and get white rice for its sensitive medicated belly, because the rice we eat would be to hard to digest

Just saying cause that would be what the chef in the house would ask next, quinoa and rice, ok but what rice (there normally at least 3 types in our drawers).
I used plain white rice,( my dogs get that too, when they aren't feeling well, so I have that on hand) I did buy some jasmine rice the other day, but have not used any yet, I may not for her. And as for the noodles, yes, I've given her a few spaghetti noodles, but I made some great seminole noodles the other day in some soup that I made, our whole family loved it, but I froze a batch, since we all got tired of eating it. I've no plans to get it out just yet, but for a treat, since I'm making this radial change to her diet, these past 25 days...once I thaw it out, do you think a nibble or two of these noodles would be okay to give to her? BTW she is practically featherless, so I have the room she is in quite warm, so since I know all this food can add up to my grocery bill, I think I better not dump her old food on top, until some of these fluff spots start to really grow on her bare little body, and I can lower the temperature of the room, I've taken her out into the backyard to fill our bird feeder in the morning and just so she can hear the morning birds carrying on, and see all the squirrels rambling around...her breathing gets real deep and I know its not over 40 degrees yet, so I know the chill gets her blood flowing, it doesn't take but like 45 secs. and we're back in the house, but I think it thrills her in a way, she been so isolated for so many years. I have taken all the seeds away from her..although she does calm down at night if I give her a sprig of the millet ..maybe not give her a full one to consume?

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
This might be of help, just watched it the other day funnily enough,

I am still doing research on nutriton, but so far finding a lot of what they say adds up to what I read and what makes sence. Likely someone in here with experience can say more for sure, but I do know they have a cookbookset which includes one that mimic human foods but with bird safe ingridients to help trick birds over onto better food.

I have not read the books yet though, but is sure someone here has, or could maybe point to other cook books like that which could be helpfull.
I watched and was that some informative information, thank you! I will try and search out YouTube for other informational videos about this little bird. She does need lots of TLC, and I feel like a brand new Mommy, only with a poorly neglected little bird..I don't see her drinking her water as much as I'd like too, do you have a trick that would get her to drink more? When I started noticing this little girl when I went to this warehouse a few months ago, I was exasperated of the condition her water bowl was in, so I started dumping it and cleaning it out, everytime I visited...and towards the end before I convinced the original owner that I could give her a better life, I was going to see her every other day, and she really started to perk up when I started talking to her or she heard my voice. But,I was thinking that since she was so use to a dirty slimy water dish, maybe she has trained herself not to drink very often, not sure...anyway, thanks for all the great help, and your time. Kim

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I used some turmeric in this first meal, and I squeezed some orange over the top of it, she totally avoided the orange bell pepper though, I was so amazed that she ate almost all the rice and quinoa, it's the most I've seen her eat all day. I did make homemade noodles the other day with seminole flour, is it the same as starch found in store bought noodles? I've not given her any, but I know she likes macaroni noodles. More fruits, and vegi's, now she is back on her cage and rubbing her beak over everything, it was quite messy...hahahaha, but so happy to see her eat, then pick and throw her foods on the bottom of cage.
Try to stay away from pasta. Rice is not ideal, but it is a good gateway food.

What you give should be 60% fruit, 30% veggies and 10% other.

As far as videos- I have not found a single ACCURATE youtube video about eclctus. It was all extremely outdated information, some of which could be dangerous to ekkies.

Edit: I did find chickpea noodles the other day, that might also be a sneaky way until she transitions onto fruits and veggies.

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Here is a great transitional recipe:
1/2 cup rice/quinoa mix
1/4 cup finely chopped butternut squash (put it in the microwave until it softens a bit)
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot (put them in the microwave till they soften a bit)
1/4 cup finely chopped apple
1 very hot pepper that is red (thai chili, red jalapeno, the hotter the better) chopped
Add: 1 tsp Milk thistle (alcohol free- comes in a eye dropper or small bottle). This is not an exact dosing, but you are just getting her used to the taste, etc.

Then offer other 'new' fruits and veggies daily. If you can find Dandelion greens at the supermarket (in the produce section) offer a 'bouquet' of them daily. Keep using the tumeric, and you can also add cayenne pepper.

The dandiloin and milk thistle have shown extremely promising results (not a cure, just helps) with liver recovery. This diet is actually mostly 'perfect' foods, but enough rice to disguise the new foods as you transition. Feeding Ekkies is sometimes like feeding a baby.... you have to hide the good stuff.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I should add, a good transference food would be finely chopped sweet potato (not yams). If you threw it in the microwave till tender, etc.

Sweet potato is extremely beneficial for ekkies, and if you chopped it fine enough, she might not notice it is not rice!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I often buy the wild or red rice for Burt as it is healthier than white and he seems to like it just as much as the white stuff, just a thought.

If she likes noodles you could always switch them from the plain traditional ones we are all used to and use noodles made from chickpeas, lentils and other veg or grains. I will see what I have left in the cupboard at the moment and grab a pic to add for you soon.
4BA6020B-BD50-4863-A73F-E87A4AD6034C.jpeg

Last edited: