• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazons

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
So I have my heart set on a senegal as my second bird but I have been browsing craigslist and seeing nothing but Zon's on there! It's full of amazons. I guess they are too much for people?? I feel like some how I am destined to own an amazon. What would I need to know about amazons and why are so many being rehomed??

I may change my mind about my second bird but who knows. I know very little about amazons. I wouldn't be getting my second bird until some time next year but I want to be prepared now for what's to come. Should I stick with a sennie as my second bird or learn more about amazons and adopt a rehome zon?

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
So I have my heart set on a senegal as my second bird but I have been browsing craigslist and seeing nothing but Zon's on there! It's full of amazons. I guess they are too much for people?? I feel like some how I am destined to own an amazon. What would I need to know about amazons and why are so many being rehomed??
There are a lot of Amazons being sold and many of them turn out to be more that a lot of people are prepared to handle, especially after they mature. Another reason is sound levels, which is a big reason why a LOT of different parrots are rehomed, not only Amazons. I bet most of the Amazons you're seeing are DYHA and BFA, right? These are the two species I'm seeing over and over in my area. YNAs are rare here otherwise they'd probably be cropping up too.

I may change my mind about my second bird but who knows. I know very little about amazons. I wouldn't be getting my second bird until some time next year but I want to be prepared now for what's to come. Should I stick with a sennie as my second bird or learn more about amazons and adopt a rehome zon?
There's a HUGE difference between owing a Poicephalus and most Amazons. How much do you want an Amazon and are you prepared for the potential issues a rehomed larger parrot might have? Are you living in an apartment?

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Rehomed zon is a HUGE step from a green cheek. Rehome zons are far diffrent than babies. There's always a reason. And odds Amy your searching through what I do as well. Alotta the la area zons that are green cheeked and lilacs are wild caught. So becarful there. Wild zons bite differently. Much more of a kill bite haha. But there wild caught from s American that I know whom are sweet as a pig lol With LOTS of research and I mean lots. Plus interacting with a zon first hand. Learning how to show acertivness in larger species. I was already hand rearing amazons and conures with the exs dad last summer. Plus playing with the macaws. So I understood the amount of tension needed to Handel em as is. I'm not gonna lie. Holding my first big bird my main concern was that beak. Once you get passed it, it's really nothing. There a huge commitment but commitment of joy. If your stubborn, picky, foolish, sneaky, corky, and dominate in personality. A zon is perfact. And only if your all of the following you can really care for one full term. Ask any zon owner here. You really have to be an amazon in the inside to own one haha. Just understand there times they ADORE and I mean ADORE attention. And times they rather take your face off. There crazy. But predictable. Thankgod. Probably the most predictable parrot out there. I know when sams on the outs. I can see it a mile away. Bite is always avoided. Amazon run there own way. With a rail for you to guide em. But they do there own thing. Hard to explain that part. What species inparticular did you have in mind??

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
There are a lot of Amazons being sold and many of them turn out to be more that a lot of people are prepared to handle, especially after they mature. Another reason is sound levels, which is a big reason why a LOT of different parrots are rehomed, not only Amazons. I bet most of the Amazons you're seeing are DYHA and BFA, right? These are the two species I'm seeing over and over in my area. YNAs are rare here otherwise they'd probably be cropping up too.

There's a HUGE difference between owing a Poicephalus and most Amazons. How much do you want an Amazon and are you prepared for the potential issues a rehomed larger parrot might have? Are you living in an apartment?
I saw one BFA but mostly it's DYHA. I don't know how loud amazons are but I do know they aren't apartment birds. I will have to look up on youtube their noise level. I don't live in an apartment but there is no saying I will never...I would never give up my birds no matter what because they can always stay at my parents (my mom could care for them) if I had to live in an apartment. I would often visit my birds though. I have heard senegals can make good apartment birds but then I have heard some sennies can be quite loud. The reason I was going to go with a sennie in the first place was because I could potentially take it to an apartment with me. Of course, there are many other reasons I want a senegal. One of my dream birds is a BFA and seeing one on craigslist I could not believe it. They are so beautiful how could anyone give them up? If I were to get an Zon I would try my hardest to get a BFA.

Rehomed zon is a HUGE step from a green cheek. Rehome zons are far diffrent than babies. There's always a reason. And odds Amy your searching through what I do as well. Alotta the la area zons that are green cheeked and lilacs are wild caught. So becarful there. Wild zons bite differently. Much more of a kill bite haha. But there wild caught from s American that I know whom are sweet as a pig lol With LOTS of research and I mean lots. Plus interacting with a zon first hand. Learning how to show acertivness in larger species. I was already hand rearing amazons and conures with the exs dad last summer. Plus playing with the macaws. So I understood the amount of tension needed to Handel em as is. I'm not gonna lie. Holding my first big bird my main concern was that beak. Once you get passed it, it's really nothing. There a huge commitment but commitment of joy. If your stubborn, picky, foolish, sneaky, corky, and dominate in personality. A zon is perfact. And only if your all of the following you can really care for one full term. Ask any zon owner here. You really have to be an amazon in the inside to own one haha. Just understand there times they ADORE and I mean ADORE attention. And times they rather take your face off. There crazy. But predictable. Thankgod. Probably the most predictable parrot out there. I know when sams on the outs. I can see it a mile away. Bite is always avoided. Amazon run there own way. With a rail for you to guide em. But they do there own thing. Hard to explain that part. What species inparticular did you have in mind??
Yeah, I think before getting a zon I would try and volunteer at least one time at the bird rescue and interact with the bigger birds just to get a feel of what it's like. I love the blue front amazons. I think they are just stunning. This is going to be a tough decision going into getting my second fid.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I know some blue fronts that are CRAZY, then rehomed, then super calm in their new home. not all of them are like that, but I do know a few. Kudos to you for doing some research and visiting a rescue!! :highfive:

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I grew up with Cuban amazons and a BFA. Both species were wonderful in their own way, but yes, they were super loud and the BFA only liked my dad for the most part. She lunged at anyone else. The Cubans lived for 35-40 years, I don't know how old Cuquita the BFA was, my dad had her for about 12 years, but she was attacked by a rat and died. You ave to learn to read their eyes and body language. Once they love you, they are really loyal. There's a store BFA in one of the pet supply stores nearby (they don't sell birds) that loves me, asks for pets, says hello, is really awesome. In my experience, BFAs like certain types of people- my dad's liked men that look like my dad, the store bird likes short Asian ladies. I met a LCA that was really curious and beaked everything, I liked her and she liked me until she beaked my sweater and got my skin underneath and ground her beak! She really didn't mean to but I didn't let her explore so much after that.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
After doing some reading into Amazons I don't think they are right for me just yet. In time, maybe when I have my own house, I will own one but not yet. I will stick with my sennie. =) Thanks for all the help!! :hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.