• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazons vs Conures

Russel

Moving in
Real Name
Russel
Hey, I've been looking into buying a new bird. I used to have a Green Cheek Conure but my house burnt down and my birds were trapped inside. It's been a while and I miss having a conure. But recently I've been reading into Amazons. I really like the clownish aspect of Amazons and I loved everything about my GCC. I am trying to make sure I make the right decision (because whichever I chose I will have for many many years to come). My main fear is the things I've heard about Amazons becoming aggressive after reaching sexual maturity and the horror stories I've heard about Amazons attacking their owners. I have a large family but my bird would only be kept with me. I've never let my family interact with my bird outside the cage without me supervising for more than a few minutes (if any). What breeds of Amazon would be less aggressive? Or is an Amazon wrong all together?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You should definitely look into rescuing an Amazon, they are so long lived and there are always lots of birds out there that need good homes. And if you adopted an older bird, you would avoid the puberty issue altogether.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses, that's really terrible. :(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so sorry for your loss.

If you are interested in zons, go with a girlie. Some boys are okay but research the hot heads.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Lilac Crowned, Mealy, Green Cheek, White Fronted are several Amazons that are not known for aggressive hormonal times.
I have a Mealy, and have had a Green Cheek (also know as a Mexican Red Headed), and neither have ever had any bad episodes of aggression.
I've also known several Lilac Crowned, and they too are a sweet, gentle Amazons for the most part.
Not to say they're not a bit spicy, but that is what makes Amazons so special. Their spiciness! ;)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Amazons are my favorite of all. Feisty, smart and comical. Plenty of good birds out there in rescue that need great homes.

I also have a Mealy, and a Red Lored. Both easy going birds and not hot heads like your yellow head crowned species. I cannot compare them to a conure, I have no conure experience.

If you want a comical bird, all can be hams! The bigger the bird, the more costs, big cages, time spent with any species. Out of cage time daily, a few times for several hours.

Food, lots of variety, commercial and fresh prepared. As I type, I am baking bird bread muffins for my crew!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh, what an awful story. I'm so sorry.

If you consider Amazons, add an Orange Winged into the sweet list. I had a wild caught OWA for decades and she was by far the sweetest bird I ever had. She never bit, not once. I had a big flock and and she got along with all her flock mates. Just an evened tempered girl. I think others would agree that OWAs are often thought of as "less spicy." @macawpower58 :)

I've never had a conure so no feedback about comparing the 2.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your losses. Have a conure and Amazons. My Dusky conure is a bit temperamental and nippy although my previous Dusky was totally sweet and friendly, never bit. My Amazons are two of the hot ones, a BFA and a YNA with the BFA being occasionally aggressive and the YNA being frequently aggressive. If you are looking for an Amazon check into the ones that have more mellow personalities as listed in the previous posts.
Also check into Poicephalus: Senegals, red-bellied parrots, brown-heads, Meyers, etc.

Reactions: Ali

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I concur with some of the above:

Mealy and Orange Winged are definitely mellow fellows...usually. But the other species aren’t usually attacking killers EITHER.

Russel

Moving in
Real Name
Russel
Sorry about taking so long to respond. I ended up going with conures because I will be graduating before long and I don't want to end up not having a lot of time on my hands for an Amazon whereas with a conure I can keep on my shoulder while getting college work done etc. I understand that an Amazon could too but I would want to be able to give it more direct attention and time that I may not have in the upcoming chapter of my life. I still hope to get one eventually but I don't think I'd be the right fit at this time. (I will have time though just maybe not enough for a parrot as big as an Amazon).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It seems you've made a well thought out decision.
Conures are awesome, and you'll be in love in no time.
Make sure to introduce your new bird to us once it happens.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Sorry about taking so long to respond. I ended up going with conures because I will be graduating before long and I don't want to end up not having a lot of time on my hands for an Amazon whereas with a conure I can keep on my shoulder while getting college work done etc. I understand that an Amazon could too but I would want to be able to give it more direct attention and time that I may not have in the upcoming chapter of my life. I still hope to get one eventually but I don't think I'd be the right fit at this time. (I will have time though just maybe not enough for a parrot as big as an Amazon).
The best of luck with your bird.

But your rationale based on size doesn’t really make sense.

Reactions: Ali