• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I have a female yellow naped (Lucy) which I raised from a baby, she is 8 now.
She is chatty all day but not loud, but in the evenings she can be really loud but usually for attention, food or when shes ready to go to bed.
We also have an Oranged Wing )Miss Birdy) she is 24 now and is pretty chill. She has a flock call she does in the evening and the cat call whistle which she has only one tone for....loud lol
But other than that she is really laid back. She still has nothing to do with me, but adores my wife. She is content to sit on her shoulder for hours preening her hair or sleeping.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
When I decided to bring an Amazon home I was actually looking forward to loud talking and singing and silly behavior.

Opie has literally *never* screamed. The only 'loud' thing she has ever done is yell "Whaaa?" - and I think she's only done that a handful of times in two years.
She will sometimes laugh kind of loudly, but that is brief as well. She can talk but doesn't, ever (we found out by accident when she thought we weren't there).
Most of the time if she makes any noise at all, it is a soft trilling sound. She does that when she is curious about something or calling for my husband. Her begging for a treat is just little beeps. No 'greet the sun' squawking or anything.
The majority of the day she is just super quiet. She *hates* singing, and she's not silly - she pretty much won't play with anything if she knows you've noticed her doing it.

I really don't think she is 'normal' for an amazon at all.
Of course you're not likely to find her exact species available anywhere, so it's hard to compare...

But just goes to show.. when people say it depends on the bird.. it's damn true! You can't rely on any stereotypes, good or bad!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My DYA just turned 29 in July. She definitely has noisy times of the year and loud moments year-round. I would recommend a female yellow shouldered, Panama, or yellow front (same as yellow crown). A Tucuman would be great but good luck finding one of them. Ultimately, any generalizations you encounter in your research are just that: generalizations. Parrots are individuals. And I would never characterize a BFA, overall, as an apartment bird.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
I have red lored and they get extremely loud at sunrise and sunset, they also get loud when I leave the room and my blue crowned is quiet at all times, she is also untamed which could be a factor.