• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon rescue help

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Hi, everyone! I’m new here. Last week my cousin died and I seem to have inherited his 41-year-old yellow-naped Amazon. She’s a sweet bird and I’ve gotten some good guidance from my vet about basic care. But she was rather neglected and I’m having to start from scratch with her. She’s not well-socialized, won’t allow more contact than the occasional head scratch.

Any guidance you can give for training her would be most appreciated. I at least need her to be able to be handled for going to the vet...but I’d really like to see her live out her full potential as an Amazon

Thanks for any help you can give! I’m a bird novice. (Also, I have a dog—I see this as probably slowing any progress in training!)

Attachments

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Welcome to Avian Avenue! Does the amazon have a name?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I inhereted Buddy my Mexican Red Headed Amazon parrot. This group saved his life! He was eating poorly, unsocialized (3 yrs in & we're still working on it) & un trusting as I was NEW to him.

My 1st question is did you have any interaction w/ your new Zon (love to know his/her name) prior to you gaining full access to him? I ask because it takes birds a long time to trust new people, training, & changes like nutrition. It's also important to go @ your birds pace & read their body language. You are going to have to do much reading & constant modifing as you learn, IF you want to do it right do it now while your bird is in what we calk the "Honeymoon phase" which is the 1st year between a new owner & their bird. This phase your birds on it's very best behavior while it's summarizing you & judging you to see IF it will trust you & your life. Zon's are really easy to read Body Language once you learn it... If you do not learn it your bird will teach it to you in the form of screaming, honking & bites. The 2nd way sucks for you & your neighbors so I recommend the reading.

Welcome to AA! Us, Zon people are a good folk here @ AA. I hope you find that out over time as you & your floof grow into a happy little flock!

This is some really good info on B. Language, start firing your questions away & we'll do our best to help you ad fast as we can.

Nice to meet you!
:hug9:Rain & Buddy :mrha:

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
I inhereted Buddy my Mexican Red Headed Amazon parrot. This group saved his life! He was eating poorly, unsocialized (3 yrs in & we're still working on it) & un trusting as I was NEW to him.

My 1st question is did you have any interaction w/ your new Zon (love to know his/her name) prior to you gaining full access to him? I ask because it takes birds a long time to trust new people, training, & changes like nutrition. It's also important to go @ your birds pace & read their body language. You are going to have to do much reading & constant modifing as you learn, IF you want to do it right do it now while your bird is in what we calk the "Honeymoon phase" which is the 1st year between a new owner & their bird. This phase your birds on it's very best behavior while it's summarizing you & judging you to see IF it will trust you & your life. Zon's are really easy to read Body Language once you learn it... If you do not learn it your bird will teach it to you in the form of screaming, honking & bites. The 2nd way sucks for you & your neighbors so I recommend the reading.

Welcome to AA! Us, Zon people are a good folk here @ AA. I hope you find that out over time as you & your floof grow into a happy little flock!

This is some really good info on B. Language, start firing your questions away & we'll do our best to help you ad fast as we can.

Nice to meet you!
:hug9:Rain & Buddy :mrha:
Thanks for the info and encouragement. Her name is Maria, and I had only a few occasions to meet her beforehand. I’d greet her when I’d visit my cousin, and after he died I was the one to change her food and water (hadn’t been done in probably months—just filling new on old!), and she was pretty receptive.
Will definitely check out the Body Language section. I know a bit from a cockatiel my friend has, but I know Amazons are in a class of their own.
Looking forward to this new adventure!

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
So, I figured I'd give a little more info about Maria and what's been going on. To the best of my knowledge, Maria is 41 years old. My cousin bought her in February 1981, and she was supposedly 2 at the time. Given the era, I'm presuming she was wild-caught, but I don't have any evidence to support that. If anyone can wager an educated guess...

As I said, she seemed to me to be rather obviously neglected. After burying my cousin on Thursday, I took her to a vet for an examination. I arranged for them to keep her for 24 hours for observation, and I had a good convo with the doc. He said she's in good health, although her rough plumage indicates a poor diet. I confirmed that she had basically been subsisting on peanuts and sunflower seeds for as long as anyone could tell. Her nails and beak were overgrown--the nails were so long that they had begun to spiral, and one of her back toes on each of her feet has curled (seems permanent) as a result, so perching has been difficult since getting them trimmed (as much as the doc was comfortable doing).

So, we got to work when I brought her home. She didn't take long to transition to a pellet diet (Zupreem fruit blend)--just a couple of days--and I've been giving her some dried fruit treats (papaya and pineapple), encouraging her to come close to me, as well as a few blueberries to get her used to fresh fruit. I tried some fresh spinach, and she didn't care for it...veggies may be something for down the road.

Perching and climbing have been tough since getting her beak and nails trimmed. She's had to re-learn even how to walk. So there were a number of falls the first day. But she's gotten loads better, and has quickly figured out how to maneuver around her cage. [The cage is a bit too small for her, but the vet recommended waiting a couple of months before introducing her to a larger cage, so as not to change too much on her all at once.]

One of the big challenges is that I have a dog in the house--an 8 year old lab/pit mix I rescued when he was 4 months old. Maria's falling and flapping has sent him into orbit, with regular panic attacks. He's calmed down, but is very curious about his new sister, and he wants to get close to explore, which doesn't help things. So I'm trying to get him to keep his distance as much as possible so that Maria can stay calm.

Regarding body language, I've moved my chair near her cage so that she can get used to my presence. She's mostly ok, but I see her shake periodically, and her feathers stay a little ruffled. But she will still approach me (randomly) and if I put my hand to the cage she'll bow down and let me stroke the top of her head. I guess it really has to be more on her terms than mine!

One thing she does that concerns me is this: She will open her mouth really wide and act like she's screaming, but no sound comes out. I thought maybe she was panting, but it honestly looks more like she's trying to scream or call, but there's just no sound. She is verbal--she'll make little sounds, and before she moved she would say a few phrases, including 'Hello,' 'Whatcha doin'?' and 'I need help!' She hasn't spoken since I got her home--I presume because of her being nervous in a new place.

She doesn't play with toys...to my knowledge she's never had any. Before getting her nails trimmed she would climb all over her cage when she'd get excited--but that's stopped because she's not as sure-footed. She used her claws for everything, rather than her toes (because the nails were soooooooooo long!).

The vet recommended bathing her, but I don't know that she's ever had a bath. I spritzed her with water, and I don't think she cared much for it.

I think that's as much of a mental dump as I can do at the moment. I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. We both do!

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Bless you for taking in an Amazon in need! Maria looks like a sweet girl, and I believe you are taking all the right steps to put her on the right path.

Diet is the most essential. We rescued two birds (one Amazon) from horrible conditions, and they actually had a terrible odor from eating nothing but peanuts. Our rescued DYH Mickey quickly adapted to all kinds of veggies, fruits and chicken, fish, and even meat. He was a fantastic eater, and showed it!

The other thing - go slow and let her go at her own pace. She will adapt, you will see. Mickey was very scared of people at first, but with very careful, loving interaction, grew to really enjoy his scritches and out of cage time with my wife. We had to stick train him at first, but eventually he let my wife handle him and even started to request head rubs and massages! He became quite vocal and we loved when he would go off!

Yes we got him a larger cage, but he was an older bird (probably older then Maria), was not very mobile, and slept a lot. However he enjoyed being with the family and sharing dinners together, and would yell Hello every time the phone rang.

We have other birds but no dogs or cats, so you will have to be very careful there. I’m sure you’ll get lots of advice here, and I’m certain Maria will thrive under your care. The joy of experiencing a bird transform cant be described, and there are many, many examples here on AA. They all want to be loved, and will show it in various ways. And we love seeing pics and hearing stories of recovery.

You sound like a caring, knowledgeable person who has Maria’s interest at heart. That is the most important thing!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi James. Thank you for taking this bird into your life and home. Maria needed to land with someone like you. We are all here to help. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My avatar bird is Secret. My other blue front is MC. MC had water in his cage with mold growing in it when we rescued them. Mine had lousy feathering and had the same issues you mentioned, eating sunflowers and peanuts.

Secret is at least 42, we have no idea how old MC is. Both were wild caught determined by a band on their legs.

Mine went to pellets pretty quickly. Another thought may be to go to the natural blend of Zupreem becauseI think the fruit blend has more sugar or colorings. Mine get senior nutriberries as a supplement, about 3 a day. Those have milk thistle and other ingredients that can help the older bird. They LOVE the senior nutriberry.

I personally feed my guys organic veggies. Because the birds are so tiny, I wonder how their system would deal with chemicals? I would suggest picking up a red bell pepper. That's a favorite here and it supplies good stuff. You can serve veggies in different ways. A strip of the pepper, a chunk of pepper, chop it into tiny pieces . . . . Birds are fickle and they like something a particular way.

Baths? I have a stand that I put in the bathtub (for MC) and then I mist SEVERAL FEET OVER THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD so the midst falls gently on them. Water can be scary. Secret likes a shower around 1 or 2 pm. Seriously. I also have a large flat crock bowl that Secret stands on and crawls into during a shower.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
About your dog? I don't know what to say other than you should remember that they have certain instincts. Your parrot recognizes that and is probably afraid and apprehensive. When my kids would visit with their large dog, I kept my birds and their cages in my bedroom with the door shut.

There are horror stories in these forums about the result of interactions between dogs and birds. Accidents happen in life. I also believe others have made it work. You'll be reading and learning as you go along and I'm confident you can handle this.

My aunt raised small yorkies while she had these birds so they were familiar with dogs.

Congrats on getting a new friend. You'll fall in love quickly.

Ask any questions here you can think of. We never owned a bird and came up with 2 wild caught blue front Amazon's, both DNA male. We thought Secret was female. Surprise! Vet did a DNA test. At least we don't worry about eggs.