• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon parrot

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hiya, I'm interested in getting an Amazon parrot. I have plenty of experience with smaller parrots but am really keen in an amazon. In particular the yellow crowned amazon. Any experiences with their birds would be very helpful

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you read through the forums on amazons? You'll be flooded with info!

I have blue fronts.

@melissasparrots may have a yellow crowned???

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just have yellow napes. You might want to read the "Good, bad and Ugly" sticky at the top of the amazon forum. Most everything applies to yellow crowns. Do yourself a favor and get a female if you can. Even if it means waiting and bypassing several males or birds of unknown sex. That is unless you don't care about bleeding and want to do a good deed. Males can be good and male yellow crowns aren't particularly known for being horrible. But, they are still in the yellow headed amazon category, so getting one that wants to annihilate the world is possible. If you just want to share you life with an amazon and enjoy giving it a good home, either sex will do. If you'd rather not bleed a lot while giving one a good home, then get a girl.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love male amazons! :backout: :scared2: :scared1:great for house security! No one will ever get out alive! :eeeek:
ROTFL!!!!! I got Buddy & last year his training lead to a few nipped finger tips where I tried to be dominant & he didn't want to be dominated. Apparently saying the word bite causes him to bite. I was real dense in that front, missed the body language & the direct biting approach in the start w/ him. My hubby got nipped @, & on, a few time because of me scolding & saying bite. But now... Not so much of an issue but every once in awhile... a lunge w/ contact but almost never blood. If there is a blood issue it's because of wood & a overly sharp beak where it was never his intention for it to happen.

I can say if you that I have done SOOO much reading on parrots in the last yr & 3 mos it's like being in high school just for parrots. My guy is way past puberty which is a huge plus. Buddy was pretty well trained (by Dad) it seems. The things that has helped me with him...

This site, this site, Tons of reading, Knowing how to & acknowledging his body language (knowing when to suck it up & give him his space. Did I mention this site? The whole area & the beginning of the Zon area, rereading when needed.

The last words of wisdom either came from someone here or a shelter/rescue site. You always have to work with your bird & try to change it up. Your bird will get bored if it is always the same. This is that important part...

:dance1: :batnana: :dance2: :birdance: :dance3: :elefant: :DancingChilli:

Have fun! If you're having fun they will too!!!

Good luck! I hope you're dreams are achieved w/ your new soon to be!!! I think Amazon's are too cool!

:hug9: Rain

Last edited by a moderator: