• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon parrot needs a forever home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice R

Moving in
Hello everyone! We are looking to find a forever home for a ~30 year old Amazon parrot. He was wild caught and lived with the same person for 20+ years, until she passed away. Since then he's been in multiple temporary homes. He doesn't fly, which makes him super easy and fun to take outside (he LOVES sitting on branches!) He has a clean bill of health from the vet. He warmed up to us very quickly, like in 2 hours after he came into our home, and now he steps up right away and is generally tame. He makes all kind of silly noises, including a cat call whistle :)

Unfortunately, he does not get along with our other bird or our 2 year old daughter. He would be much happier living with adults. He would not be a good fit for an apartment because of his loud squawks.

We're located in Wake County, NC, and would be willing to drive pretty far for the right home.

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He is a pretty boy - I'll pray & keep :fingerscrossed: that he finds a soft loving place to land, hopefully with someone from AA. Does he have a name and a preference for men or women? :goodluck:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Adorable!!!!!

My amazons are super quiet when the grandsons appear. Same problem there?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Tio is beautiful! Wish I lived closer!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well, his name means Uncle in Spanish/Portuguese and the (human) Uncle Warren in the Kassabian family is definitely a ladies man ...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi Alice! I live in Wake County as well. You have Phoenix Landing if you cannot find the proper home. You also have the Raleigh Durham caged bird Society as well. I love Red Lored's and have an 12 year old Male. He's the best and most sweetest Amazon.

If I can be of any help, I am Friends with the new Director of Phoenix Landing. If you want to place him there, she is local in Raleigh and fosters many birds. Let me know if you need information.

Claire

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
What Beauty! Is there a specific reason he is not flyer? Doby is around 17 and never had flown before, even though he was never clipped. He flew last year for the first time.

Alice R

Moving in
Wow, thank you so much Claire! I will keep that in mind!

Janice - I'm not sure why he doesn't fly. We asked the vet the same question, and she suspects he's just lazy or uninterested! I think it's also possible that he just never learned to fly in his formative years?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow, thank you so much Claire! I will keep that in mind!

Janice - I'm not sure why he doesn't fly. We asked the vet the same question, and she suspects he's just lazy or uninterested! I think it's also possible that he just never learned to fly in his formative years?
MC doesn't fly either and he's wild caught.

He once made it from a transfer stick to a kitchen counter (about a foot or two) and he was totally bewildered as to how that happened!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
MC doesn't fly either and he's wild caught.

He once made it from a transfer stick to a kitchen counter (about a foot or two) and he was totally bewildered as to how that happened!
Maybe it comes down to a combination of never having learned as part of an avian family in the wild combined with never having been given the chance or incentive to learn in captivity. I don't mean that parronts haven't given their fids a chance but the birds in question didn't know how to and had no-one to lead. Some might kick in when scared but the actual art of flying isn't something natural to them.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
You never know. I think when Doby took off we were both in shock. I had been doing wing exercises with him every day so maybe his muscles were a lot stronger. I was comfortable enough that he would never fly that I would take him outside with me on my shoulder while I watered my flowers. After all at 17 who would have thought. It was a really hot day so I set the hose on "mist" and thought I would spray in the air and it would feel good on both of us. As soon as the cool water hit him (Doby likes his showers warm) he took off, I was in shock and looked down at the ground to see where he went...did not see him and looked up and he was flying. He flew to the end of the cul de sac. I never ran so fast in my life to get him. He came to me as soon as I got to him with his eyes huge and was out of breath. So, my story is, never say never. Needless to say, I will never take him out again like that.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You never know. I think when Doby took off we were both in shock. I had been doing wing exercises with him every day so maybe his muscles were a lot stronger. I was comfortable enough that he would never fly that I would take him outside with me on my shoulder while I watered my flowers. After all at 17 who would have thought. It was a really hot day so I set the hose on "mist" and thought I would spray in the air and it would feel good on both of us. As soon as the cool water hit him (Doby likes his showers warm) he took off, I was in shock and looked down at the ground to see where he went...did not see him and looked up and he was flying. He flew to the end of the cul de sac. I never ran so fast in my life to get him. He came to me as soon as I got to him with his eyes huge and was out of breath. So, my story is, never say never. Needless to say, I will never take him out again like that.
I can sympathize. I've been there, done that and have been extra careful ever since. Even then I've almost walked out the door with Beni on my shoulder (after both of us checked each other's backs for a stowaway) and Quaker Baby almost followed me out the door. Glad you were able to get him back.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
During the winter I saw a local post that a gal had walked out the door forgetting that her Senegal was on her shoulder. He flew off and they were asking for volunteers to help find him. It was 15 degrees outside so I bundled up and drove over to help. Stayed outside with flashlights til well after midnight but couldn't find him. Poor little guy. I hope he survived the winter.

maradak

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joseph
Hi, I am quite interested in Tio. Does he come with his cage? He is such a handsome little man!

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Would love to have him, but I'm in East Texas. If you could get him here I would take him. We have a multi bird house hold made up of mostly rescues and rehomes. They all eat fresh chop and get out every day most all day. They go in their cages in the late afternoon for their late day feeding and to settle for night night time. lol When weather permits we have outdoor areas for them. We are currently working on a dedicated bird room and more aviaries outside.

Last edited:

Alice R

Moving in
Would love to have him, but I'm in East Texas. If you could get him here I would take him. We have a multi bird house hold made up of mostly rescues and rehomes. They all eat fresh chop and get out every day most all day. They go in their cages in the late afternoon for their late day feeding and to settle for night night time. lol When weather permits we have outdoor areas for them. We are currently working on a dedicated bird room and more aviaries outside.
That sounds so wonderful! I'd have to think of a way to get this little guy to Texas

Crissy in MI

Moving in
Hello! Does Tio still need a home?
I have some experience with parrots. I had a rescue lovebird for 16 years, who died in January due to old age. I also fostered two budgies for several months last year before they went to their forever home. I now don't have any pets. I'm severely allergic to cats, so rest easy on that regard. No kids. My husband and I own a house in Michigan. I have regular 8-5 work hours. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.