• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon Info

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Hey guys, I actually haven’t posted in a bit but I think I need some info. I have quite a few birds who I love dearly (my biggest being an alexandrine) and I’ve worked with birds from finches to Conure’s to caiques to macaws to owls and eagles, but I know nothing about Amazon’s! My friend messaged me about her mom’s new boyfriend and his double yellow headed Amazon. He needs to find him a home and she thought I might be interested. Well, I went to visit him today and he’s not in the greatest condition. His nails are long and gnarly, he hasn’t been held recently because they bought new furniture and didn’t want him ruining it and he also started biting so they’re pretty afraid of him. He’s gorgeous but was not interested in me being around him at all. He was pinning his eyes, puffed up and had his tail feathers fanned out. Of course, I kept my distance and just talked to him quietly until he calmed down. He steps up onto a stick they have for him and they have a huge, gorgeous cage. He eats a mostly seed diet and they share human food with him (I was cringing the whole time) but apparently he will also accept some fruits, veggies and beans. He was born in 1996 and his name is Harley. I told them that I would do some research and come back Wednesday to take him for a couple of weeks to see how he does at our house on a temporary basis and they agreed. So give me anything and everything you have, I don’t even know where to start with this poor boy but he’s not in a great situation right now. Here are some photos of him, he appears to be in decent condition but those toes make me want to cry. They must be so painful to walk on. You can see how grumpy he is, but I don’t blame him at all. 70C3A5B6-A597-4D16-B0A6-D9D361507333.jpeg D67F19B6-FF5B-4464-983E-8D697B14C8AA.jpeg D94ADE43-F28B-446E-9443-4567F9DD2365.jpeg

BirdView

Strolling the yard
It is sad to see a beautiful bird neglected like this. He looks obese and the seed diet increases his risk for health problems. I can't see the whole cage but it doesn't look overly big for him. I would say it is on the small side. I hope you will be able to rescue him and provide him with better care.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His nails really need trimmed.

When was his last vet visit?

There's a wealth of info about Amazons on our threads.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
It is sad to see a beautiful bird neglected like this. He looks obese and the seed diet increases his risk for health problems. I can't see the whole cage but it doesn't look overly big for him. I would say it is on the small side. I hope you will be able to rescue him and provide him with better care.
he definitely is overweight, and first thing he needs is switching food and a nail trim. I’ve had success switching other birds to pellets, but I’ve heard amazons can be super stubborn. The cage is extremely large, I’m not sure of the exact size but after seeing it yesterday, it’s decent sized for him. I can get measurements when I go back to grab him.

His nails really need trimmed.

When was his last vet visit?

There's a wealth of info about Amazons on our threads.
Yes, I mentioned that. The owner says it was a “few years ago”. I’ve been going through the threads but would love some more specific info on taming him down and getting those gnarly nails done. He looks so uncomfortable when he walks.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not a "bird" person. My first exposure was adopting 2 older, male blue front amazons. Mine were wild caught to boot.

My guys were adaptable. They took everything in stride.

MC passed away last year from cancer. He turned into a sweetheart.

We started very slowly and my fierce one, Secret, comes out of the cage daily courtesy of a transfer stick. The transfer stick helps YOU to remain calm. They really feed off emotions. Just do everything super SLOW because you have a lifetime ahead of you.

Mine is on Roudybush maintenance pellets now. When I got them, I started with Zupreem natural and Roudybush and put a little of each in their food dishes. They'd switch from one to the other until they finally chose this one.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last thought. I know vet bills can be costly but you really need to get the blood test work up. That's the first thing I did when I adopted mine.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He is a beautiful DYH. That being said Amazons are at particular risk for certain diseases and you need to have him checked for these diseases. Unfortunately most Amazons are little fatties and perch potatoes which exacerbate these diseases.

Amazon Parrots
  • Amazons are commonly afflicted with upper respiratory diseases, many of which result from vitamin A deficiency associated with an all-seed diet.
  • Cloacal papillomas (warts) commonly affect older Amazon parrots and may also appear in their mouths.
  • Amazons may feather-pick, especially their wings and legs, as a result of psychological stress and sexual frustration.
  • Amazons commonly exhibit mating season aggression towards their owners; some of these birds become too aggressive to handle and are given away to shelters.
  • A syndrome of unknown cause, called Amazon foot necrosis syndrome, occurs in Amazon parrots. With this syndrome, parrots violently mutilate the skin on their legs and feet, causing excess bleeding and tissue damage.
  • Some Amazon parrots develop epilepsy.
  • Like African gray parrots, Amazon parrots are long-lived and as a result develop cancer in various organs.
  • Moreover, like most birds on high-fat, all-seed diets, Amazons commonly develop obesity, hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease), atherosclerosis (cholesterol deposits in arteries), stroke, and heart disease.
  • (Highlighting done by me)
  • Common Conditions of Pet Birds.
As you can see most of the diseases they are afflicted with are exacerbated by "seed diets" and "obesity". Thankfully the obesity can be corrected if the damage hasn't been done.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Mine is on Roudybush maintenance pellets now. When I got them, I started with Zupreem natural and Roudybush and put a little of each in their food dishes. They'd switch from one to the other until they finally chose this one.
I find this interesting. "Echo" my DYH also prefers Roudybush pellets. He used to eat Zupreem fruitblend but after I introduced Roudybush he stopped eating Zupreem. I still offers both types of pellets but the Zupreem usually ends up as food for the wild birds in my backyard.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Thank you guys! They have apparently tried zupreem pellets but by the time they found out about proper dieting, he had already been on seeds for years. (They’ve had him since he was a baby). I use roudybush and I’m hoping he’ll start eating those, I am glad that he eats fruits, veggies and beans because it may be easier to get him onto some sort of chop for now (recipe recommendations for amazons welcome). Of course, first step will be a vet visit, full panel and just basic checking in. They don’t let him out enough so I don’t think that’s helped his potato-y figure. Apparently he loves swinging and scritches once he gets used to you. Thankfully, I have a ton of big bird toys that my alexandrine doesn’t use.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
i hope we can see more pics of him and countinue getting updates! PS can we get pics of the rest of ur birds too?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a beautiful boy, although those nails make me want to cry. I hope everything works out. I know you'd be great for him.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
i hope we can see more pics of him and countinue getting updates! PS can we get pics of the rest of ur birds too?
yes of course! I’ll keep everyone updated. And I was thinking about starting a post in the photos forum of all of my babies. I love flock photos although it’s been hard lately with the *hormones*. My cockatiel Moe is bonded to me and he’s been trying to attack my boyfriend. I went to give Quinn the alexandrine a blueberry and he thought the world was ending.

I think Harley will be a wonderful addition and will fit in perfectly.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
By the way how do you approach a bird like this to clip his nails. Echo always gives me hard time when it is time to clip his nails. I usually lure him with a treat and while he is busy I grab one of his toes and clip the nail quickly then give him treat. Sometimes this doesn't work and he become aware to what I am doing. He objects by biting my hand gently and making a whining sound. If I ignore him he will increase the bite pressure gradually and if I continue to ignore him he will get angry and fly away.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
or you could try taking him to the vet and maybe they could use mild anesthesia?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
For nails that long, I'd visit a vet.
The quick may have also overgrown, and unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're liable to cut into it.
He may need several trims if that is the case.
At least light colored talons make it easier to see.

I agree, he's a gorgeous fellow, and I'm glad you're helping him out.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
For nails that long, I'd visit a vet.
The quick may have also overgrown, and unless you know exactly what you're doing, you're liable to cut into it.
He may need several trims if that is the case.
At least light colored talons make it easier to see.

I agree, he's a gorgeous fellow, and I'm glad you're helping him out.
Actually, I was surprised to see that his quicks are not overgrown at all. I’ve been clipping nails for years and the biggest thing I’m worried about is his attitude towards it. They’re too scared to clip him (likely because he’s bitten them before) but once you give an eagle an eye exam, you aren’t too worried.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you take him on, I agree vet, trims & tests. I'd also quarantine him from you other birds. I forgot the amount of time but if it was me it'd be the time till the vet screened him @ minimum.

My Zon was on a seed diet w/ peanuts for 25 yrs. He has permanent atherosclerosis. Not cool! I cringed about this poor pittle one & cage bound to boot, I feel for him so greatly!

I suggest modification of diet immediately including a daily meal with sprouts & an herbal tea or spice (parrot safe ones) with crushed pellets & some heart smart seed toppers, (the 3 I use are ground flax, hemp hearts & chia). A meal with chop, & a free flow bowl of pellets. I don't suggest that he's going to be off seeds for hus whole life, nor completely removing yhem as you convert him. My guy still gets less than a tablespoon @ night to forage around for. My vet recommended Harrisons pellets which us what I use, but hate them... because of the peanut in them. It doesn't have the nasty chemical preservatives (which I abhor 2 or 3) in them though & it's the only one besides Tops that doesn't carry these preservatives. Tops doesn't have vitamin D, so I only use it by dusting my seed mixs for the outdoor birdy's.

I would also try to keep him away from nuts until the vet says the weight is down.... I'd maybe do a small piece 1 or 2 times a week for something really good as a treat. I'd be sure to find or create a good sprout mix that includes things like parrot safe beans. I believe... Sproutpeople.org

has them, I hand make mine. Danita may have them in her
Avianorganics.com
Shop. IF I purchased my mix for sprouting, I'd go w/ either of these online shopa w/ great trust!

Welcome to AA & nic e to meet you!

Hugs, Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
If you take him on, I agree vet, trims & tests. I'd also quarantine him from you other birds. I forgot the amount of time but if it was me it'd be the time till the vet screened him @ minimum.

My Zon was on a seed diet w/ peanuts for 25 yrs. He has permanent atherosclerosis. Not cool! I cringed about this poor pittle one & cage bound to boot, I feel for him so greatly!

I suggest modification of diet immediately including a daily meal with sprouts & an herbal tea or spice (parrot safe ones) with crushed pellets & some heart smart seed toppers, (the 3 I use are ground flax, hemp hearts & chia). A meal with chop, & a free flow bowl of pellets. I don't suggest that he's going to be off seeds for hus whole life, nor completely removing yhem as you convert him. My guy still gets less than a tablespoon @ night to forage around for. My vet recommended Harrisons pellets which us what I use, but hate them... because of the peanut in them. It doesn't have the nasty chemical preservatives (which I abhor 2 or 3) in them though & it's the only one besides Tops that doesn't carry these preservatives. Tops doesn't have vitamin D, so I only use it by dusting my seed mixs for the outdoor birdy's.

I would also try to keep him away from nuts until the vet says the weight is down.... I'd maybe do a small piece 1 or 2 times a week for something really good as a treat. I'd be sure to find or create a good sprout mix that includes things like parrot safe beans. I believe... Sproutpeople.org

has them, I hand make mine. Danita may have them in her
Avianorganics.com
Shop. IF I purchased my mix for sprouting, I'd go w/ either of these online shopa w/ great trust!

Welcome to AA & nic e to meet you!

Hugs, Rain & Buddy :mrha:
nice to meet you as well but I’ve been on avian avenue for quite a few years. I appreciate all of this info, vet visit will be the first thing we do. I’ve been thinking about making some chop and things and we will be working on a better diet ASAP. I’m hoping we don’t have anything debilitating, but who knows. He’s older than I am!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Last thought. I know vet bills can be costly but you really need to get the blood test work up. That's the first thing I did when I adopted mine.
Ditto. Don’t take him home first; take him to the vet.

It sounds like it could be a real adventure getting him into the carrier, so why do that twice?

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Ditto. Don’t take him home first; take him to the vet.

It sounds like it could be a real adventure getting him into the carrier, so why do that twice?
That’s actually a good idea. Not sure I can get an appointment on such short notice but he’s pretty easy to get into the carrier as long as you have a dowel.