• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon Info

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Don’t give him fruits every day. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and very little.
I second that. Fruits have sugar and he doesn't need that.

Secret just loves organic carrots right now. I give a hunk of a whole carrot while we eat dinner. The bird attacks it and turns it into finely shredded carrot. Later I hold up the little bowl and she eats it.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
We know you’re an experienced bird owner, but we don’t know your past feeding practices and can’t really explain how a particular Amazon’s feeding preferences will vary from other species. I’ll just say this:

You can never say that your Amazon doesn’t like Vegetable A or Vegetable B after just offering it once or twice, and removing that vegetable totally from his future diet because you don’t think he likes it.

Yes, after months of trying and he still won’t touch it, okay...you know.

But more likely, if you keep introducing that same veg to him on and off, cut into different shapes and sizes, he’ll start eating it.

Archie loves beets, but they’re too high in sugar, so he only gets it every week or two. Doesn’t love carrots, but he gets them every week ANYWAY.

Sometimes, he doesn’t run to eat his beet, and sometimes, he runs to eat the carrot. (I use small baby carrots.)

There is no rhyme or reason as to why many birds like mine prefer one thing on one day and another on a different day. But it’s important to never get lazy and put him into a food rut with the same thing day after day. You have to switch it up EVERY day, or as much as possible. (I don’t believe in chops, unless you make several different ones, but that’s just me.)

I’m constantly buying different vegetables for Archie, and he eats 75% of them. If 25% goes in the garbage, so be it. But personally...

I find shopping for and feeding him the most enjoyable part of having him.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree w/ clueless feeding practice @ least those I know about. Amazon's tend to lack Vitamin A, carrots are very high in this. For Vitamin A think colors when choosing veggies, orsnges, reds & yellows. Squash, sweet potato, peppers & carrots. Plus many others...

I fed some veggies to Buddy for over a year before he would eat them. Mango (not a veggie) took me eating & him stealing out of a bowl to eat. I think that took 2 mango seasons for him to "try by theft".

Carrots have to be cut a certain way, radish too. If they don't eat it a certain way, cut it another & try again. Buddy rarely eats chop. We hsve 1 or 2 items @ dinner & that's his fresh. They prefer to eat w/ their flock (us). Buddy now has been here since April of 2017. He's now comfortable eating if I'm away & trusts the food I give him, cut "HIS" way, IF I'm not home for dinner. It took much time & effort to get us to this point. Practice, patience & a LONG time to us, is what these little floofs need.

I can tell you all this does pay off & does work. Buddy's bloodwk values are fantastic & he's down to the bare minimum of unsprouted seeds, NO peanuts (aspergillus can cause havoc in these little ones).

Buddy gets, sprouts in the morning w/ pellets in them, a bird safe snack @ lunch & fresh for dinner, before bed he gets a small amount of seed w/ some dry fruit & an occasional nut (2-3x a week) his bowl w/ seeds & such has a abundance of pellets altho I have yet to see him eat 1.

I don't know if any of this helps but I'm here if you need some help.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Don’t give him fruits every day. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and very little.
I suppose what I said came off a little weird. Not fruits and veggies everyday, fruits, and veggies everyday. So veggies everyday but he is also taking fruits.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
He has a mixture of beans (both green and yellow as well as kidney, Lima and those types of beans), peas, carrots, squash, broccoli, peppers, etc. plus whatever special veggie thing we may be having if it’s different for dinner. All of my birds get roudybush and zupreem and depending on the bird, a little seed mixed in (some of my birds I haven’t been able to fully switch no matter how hard I try). A few times a week I buy a container of mixed fruits and everyone gets some and when I get home from work, I mix up some veggies and beans for everyone.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
He has a mixture of beans (both green and yellow as well as kidney, Lima and those types of beans), peas, carrots, squash, broccoli, peppers, etc. plus whatever special veggie thing we may be having if it’s different for dinner. All of my birds get roudybush and zupreem and depending on the bird, a little seed mixed in (some of my birds I haven’t been able to fully switch no matter how hard I try). A few times a week I buy a container of mixed fruits and everyone gets some and when I get home from work, I mix up some veggies and beans for everyone.
I never give Archie any beans, because I don’t like them myself. It’s hard to get a bean in me.

My wife always has dried black beans in the house, so I gotta try them for him.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I never give Archie any beans, because I don’t like them myself. It’s hard to get a bean in me.

My wife always has dried black beans in the house, so I gotta try them for him.
I’ve heard they’re great for filling them up and giving them protein and he loves them! Definitely worth a try, I’m not a huge fan either, but they tend to love them.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure any beans are FULLY cooked. I read something about beans somewhere.....
Or sprouted...

There is something specific about lima beans & parrots... You can give them in one eway but not i the others... I cannot remember.

Maybe @Mizzely remembers

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most beans are safe when cooked. Few are safe when raw, some are fine sprouted.

Lima beans MUST be cooked. Not raw or sprouted.

Kidney beans too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Casey gets cooked mixed veggies and generally picks out the lima beans.
He is not a big fan of fruit but does like banana chips (doesn't get these daily).
Wish he would be willing to eat Roudybush low fat but I tried for about 3 months
and he wouldn't touch them.
Shannon also gets cooked mixed veggies but doesn't seem to have a favorite.
She prefers OFBs to the seed mix which has really surprised me. When I got her
she was overweight but then hardly ate for the first two weeks I had her because she
was upset and depressed. She lost that extra weight.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret is a HUGE greenbean fan. Pulls out the cooked beans from inside and throws the shell. Don't dare have one on your plate and none in her dish. It's like she races through them to see if you have any left.

Beechnut makes a natural baby food with only greenbeans...... win/win with the medicine stirred in! So thankful to have found that.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Secret is a HUGE greenbean fan. Pulls out the cooked beans from inside and throws the shell. Don't dare have one on your plate and none in her dish. It's like she races through them to see if you have any left.

Beechnut makes a natural baby food with only greenbeans...... win/win with the medicine stirred in! So thankful to have found that.
Hey...

I’ve been giving Archie raw green beans for ages. I never thought of them as beans. To me, they’re more like peas in a pod. He loves them.

Are they okay?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hey...

I’ve been giving Archie raw green beans for ages. I never thought of them as beans. To me, they’re more like peas in a pod. He loves them.

Are they okay?
Green beans are fine raw in moderation. They are higher in lectin which can cause digestive issues in larger quantities.

Some of their nutrients are better absorbed when cooked.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He doesn’t eat these in moderation at all.

I’ll start steaming them.
And that's why we are on the forum. To learn.

Upside is you're like me, when medication needs to be done you have a food to hide it in....... I should buy stock in BeechNut natural baby food!

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
And that's why we are on the forum. To learn.

Upside is you're like me, when medication needs to be done you have a food to hide it in....... I should buy stock in BeechNut natural baby food!
You know birds:

There’s no guarantee he’ll like the baby food!

I got my box of syringes last week, but haven’t started training him with it, with different foods. I’ll start tomorrow.

We always bought Gerber for our kids, early 90s. The ad agency I worked for had the BeechNut account, and there was some kind of scandal at the time. They didn’t ship bad product, but I think they misrepresented something.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fun fact: I had to use mostly Beechnut for my 2nd son because he was dairy intolerant as a baby and Gerber products were awful with cross contamination! And no, they do not legally have to disclose that possibility.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I do know Secret. That bird might change her mind tomorrow.

Beechnut was the only one in the store I was in the other day that said natural with no iron or other additives.

Walmart had it for 88 cents a bottle yesterday. I think the bottle says to throw it away after 2 days.