• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon in need of a Cuddle Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FancyConure

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seth
Long read ahead:

I recently have taken in temporarily a Mealy Amazon as a favor for my Friend's friend. This Amazon has had two owners now, both of whom are deceased. The first owner was an older gentleman who lived alone and the the little guy was found a week later. The second one was deployed and the parents who initially were watching there son's bird are divorcing, neither wanted to keep him. I however cannot keep him at this point and am looking for someone who is willing to take him under their wing. I live in Richmond VA. I'm not asking for any relocation fee, I just want to be assured he gets a family who is experienced with social birds.

A little about him, his name is Sydney and he absolutely loves to cuddle. If you dare leave the room without him, he will climb down the cage, get on the floor, and wadle his way over to you. Pet friendly, at least in the time that I have had him, he has simply ignored my dogs when around them or when they have been sniffing him. He does not talk but it is obvious that one of his owners like video games as he has an array of arcade noises he likes to go through when contently grooming himself. His wings are not clipped, however he has not flown at all in the weeks that I have had him. I am unsure if he has ever flown or if he might be a little too pudgy. He is pretty much out of the cage all the time so long as we are home. If he is with you he just wants to be petted nonstop especially the top of his head and cheeks. He is completely accepting of being pet anywhere, if he does not like something in particular he will grasp your whole finger and gently pull it away .

Now for some of his ugly side: when I first saw Sydney at his original home he lunged right for me, which obviously is not the best start to any relationship. The moment I got his cage into my home and gave him fresh fruits he was asking for pets through the bars of his cage. I expect everyone here to understand how Birds, especially our larger friends can be loud. I reiterate this only because as an Amazon he is deafening at times, usually in the mornings and late afternoons as he goes through his arcade vocabulary. I don't want someone taking this guy in, only to realize they can't handle a large bird like him and get rid of him.

I have really grown attached to this guy in the small amount of time that I have had him. My heartbreaks that I cannot keep him. I want to see him get a forever home, and not have to go through any more tragedy.

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Poor Sydney......

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Awwww...he sounds like a great little (or big as the case may be) guy! I hope he finds a great home!

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I wish I were closer as would love to adopt him. Unfortunately I'm in Texas.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I’m in Alabama and leaving in May for a vacation..taking several birds with me but would be too stressful for a new bird.

I hope you can find the sweetie a home but I’ll get back in touch with you when I return. I’m an amazon owner.

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
Would you consider shipping, at the new owners expense? It sounds like it would certainly open up the availability of potential adaptors with Amazon experience. The mealy's are such gentle giants (at least in my experience).

FancyConure

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seth
Would you consider shipping, at the new owners expense? It sounds like it would certainly open up the availability of potential adaptors with Amazon experience. The mealy's are such gentle giants (at least in my experience).
I wouldn't be down right opposed to it. I've never shipped an animal before so I would have to do my homework on it. Although I do worry about the stress it may cause Sydney.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yeah... a train!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Shipping is actually far less stress than a long drive. Go through Delta Dash. The hard part is getting the carrier ready because it has to be bolted shut and you have to put material on the openings so that the bird cannot bite anyone. That's not hard to do...you can get small wire mesh like chicken wire and zip tie it to the outside of the carrier. Drill a few holes in the carrier to put some perches in and your golden. I've had all of my pet Galahs shipped to me and two of my Linnies. It's really not hard at all. Of course, the temperature outside can't be too hot or too cold but we are getting to that point where it's starting to be just the right temp. I think it has to be above 60 degrees F but below 75 F.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that you find a wonderful new home for Sydney.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wouldn't be down right opposed to it. I've never shipped an animal before so I would have to do my homework on it. Although I do worry about the stress it may cause Sydney.
If it were me - I would ship. I’ve shipped birds both in and out with no problems. It’s a little stressful but they seem to do fine.

Timothy86

Meeting neighbors
Omg ive been searching for a mealy off and on for.2 or 3 years im.sure this bird has found a home.if not please let me know ile without hesitation take him

Timothy86

Meeting neighbors
Any update? I would like to adopt sydney if he is still in need of a home ide be glad to speak with you on the phone if you need reffrences etc not an issue please let me know thanks

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@FancyConure hasn't been on since Wednesday morning, so I'm tagging them.
Any update? I would like to adopt sydney if he is still in need of a home ide be glad to speak with you on the phone if you need reffrences etc not an issue please let me know thanks

FancyConure

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seth
Sorry been caught up with life. I've left my email on your profile. Please email me to discuss more about Sydney. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.