• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon Hasn't Been Handled In 10+ Years

HCK9s

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
Hi guys! I have a question about one of our BF Amazons, Pickles. He is 18 years old or so and hasn't been handled in over 10 years. His previous owners became pretty sick and he just sat in a cage. They claim he used to be very friendly and handleable but stopped about 10 years ago and they did not push him. He is rarely ever caged here. He won't step up. He goes in and out of his cage as he pleases and usually comes down to try and bite or will lunge to bite as you walk by his cage. We've been doing a lot of positive reinforcement counter conditioning (he is pretty food motivated). Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh man. Secret. Same issue!!! I was told Secret was the friendly sweet one when I rescued 2 Amazon's. Wrong!!!!!

So MC became my buddy (he passed away about 2 years ago) and Secret's life was saved because I figured she could get better.

Keep working with the T stick. That's how Secret moves from the cage. If she comes out on her own to crawl on the cage, no way we can get control. Bird is out until she deems going in.

Treats are given only when we have T sticked her out of cage out on my lap (lap protected by a baby blanket and stick handy for transfer). Or when the bird won't eat her medicine, then I pinch tiny pieces of almond slivers to add to medicine.

Best of luck!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yikes. I meant to say we T stick transfer to a small playstand. We do give treats and medicines in my lap but wouldn't recommend that until you develop a good bond with transfers.

Secret can do a "mini-Eagle" fierce attack. Luckily, I know and respect the signs to avoid that.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You may have mentioned in another post, but please state again how long you've had him.
IMO Amazons do accept change fairly well, but it still takes time.
If you haven't had him long enough for him to feel comfortable and trust you, you may be moving too fast.
I'd just work for now on lowering the lunging to bite. Try some target training so he sees you coming near as a good thing.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's a lot of great resources in this thread

Videos can be a great way to see how behavior is taught! Such as teaching this scarlet to step up!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As Becky asked, how long have you had him? Time and patience as I'm sure you know. You've got earn that friendship. Bribery is a great tool. :D

It's always a good idea to stick train large parrots. It's a win win for all.