• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon bites

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
A while back I was watching a documentary and something that was said has really stuck with me. They were talking to a lady that does rescue and she said that amazon bites are worse than the bigger birds because they hold on and grind.
I've personally never been bitten by anything bigger than an amazon but I definitely have scars from Paco.
What are your experiences with bites? Are amazons bites not only worse but also more likely? If they are worse, do you agree that they are miles worse? :bfa:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Depends on the bird as to whether you are more likely to get bitten by an amazon or any other species and how you react and handle them. The bigger the beak the more severe the bite can be. Many different species small and big will hang on when they bite. Some species of amazons are more prone to biting referred to as the "hot three"... the Blue Front, the Yellow Nape, and the Double Yellow Head. We have a bite thread that's been going on for quite some time where members can share their bite wounds.. I'd say the macaws and Cockatoos can do their fair share of damage too!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have actually found the crushing force to be more painful then the actual breaking of the skin. I've had a lovebird hang off my thumb and not let go (and look at me with the cute little lovie face - like what is there a problem? All innocent looking as I'm dripping blood. LOL) I've had my cockatoo bite me so deeply that I probably could have used a couple stitches. (And other type of bird bites too). But I would take all of those over when Elvis gets my knuckles. It's that beak strength that I find really painful.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think our goal should be no bite ever....

I've heard people say the little guys were fierce. Maybe they have to be too get attention?

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
My guy gets into his biting mode, but it’s not attack biting. It’s that steady biting, but only when he’s on hand.

Never bites when on the shoulder, but he does get my nipple with a quick nip every now and then when on lap. How the hell he got this perfect aim, I don’t know. (He doesn’t like the lap all that much, but he tolerates it.)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a lack of feeling in one of my fingertips from a DYH bite which bled profusely.....beautiful clean deep cut. That is a bite I would much rather endure again and again to be honest than the few serious warning bites I have had from Burt. After my few decent warning cutting crushing bites from Burt I am seriously not ever wanting to step too far out of line. His warning bites for me are much worse than the serious I want to remove your finger bite I got from the Amazon.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I agree with the crushing force. Puff bit me earlier today thrice and one of them drew blood. They were on my left index finger right around the knuckles and gosh it hurt.
After he let go all was fine and good and it stopped hurting after ten minutes or so. I knew he was being gentle but it really depends on the area he bites cause if it isn’t the knuckles I feel much lesser pain.
Puff latches on and doesn’t grind but just keeps pressing on. Usually they don’t bleed as he isn’t a cutter but a crusher. Never really got a serious bite though. Personally my experience with Amazons agree that they prefer to crush instead of cut so yeah. Milder than say Cockatoos (especially M2s and U2s) which are mostly cutters. Would prefer an Amazon bite over a Cockatoo bite over a Macaw bite any time.
Macaw bites are harder than both species IMHO and they grind. GWs tend to crush while BGs tend to cut. Either way they draw blood.

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
Depends on the bird as to whether you are more likely to get bitten by an amazon or any other species and how you react and handle them. The bigger the beak the more severe the bite can be. Many different species small and big will hang on when they bite. Some species of amazons are more prone to biting referred to as the "hot three"... the Blue Front, the Yellow Nape, and the Double Yellow Head. We have a bite thread that's been going on for quite some time where members can share their bite wounds.. I'd say the macaws and Cockatoos can do their fair share of damage too!

How did I miss this thread! Lol

I think our goal should be no bite ever....

I've heard people say the little guys were fierce. Maybe they have to be too get attention?
Yes, I agree that should be the goal but it happens. Paco was in a very bad situation, not sure how he even survived. He is mostly blind from his previous owners not treating eye infections. So sometimes it's not our fault either.
I have a lack of feeling in one of my fingertips from a DYH bite which bled profusely.....beautiful clean deep cut. That is a bite I would much rather endure again and again to be honest than the few serious warning bites I have had from Burt. After my few decent warning cutting crushing bites from Burt I am seriously not ever wanting to step too far out of line. His warning bites for me are much worse than the serious I want to remove your finger bite I got from the Amazon.
Ok who is Burt!?

What about birds of relatively the same size, for instance African Greys or the smaller Cockatoos?
This is so interesting to me! Lol I dont know why before the documentary I just thought bigger beak=worse bite. I never even considered that some might crush and some might cut etc.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What about birds of relatively the same size, for instance African Greys or the smaller Cockatoos?
This is so interesting to me! Lol I dont know why before the documentary I just thought bigger beak=worse bite. I never even considered that some might crush and some might cut etc.

For me, it stands to reason.... the bigger the beak, the bigger hole on a severe bite or the bigger bruise left behind from a high pressure bite. Tiny bites rarely need a stitch and too many of us ignore going to the doctor for stitches on those bigger bite holes... go figure! Before I ever had a large bird I had budgies ( cutest darn things ever!) and having one bite you and hang on to the skin between your fingers seems like the worse bird bite ever!!!!! :cautious::D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A while back I was watching a documentary and something that was said has really stuck with me. They were talking to a lady that does rescue and she said that amazon bites are worse than the bigger birds because they hold on and grind.
I've personally never been bitten by anything bigger than an amazon but I definitely have scars from Paco.
What are your experiences with bites? Are amazons bites not only worse but also more likely? If they are worse, do you agree that they are miles worse? :bfa:
Which is worse? Getting shot with a .22 caliber rifle or a .22 caliber pistol? Semantics.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Which is worse? Getting shot with a .22 caliber rifle or a .22 caliber pistol? Semantics.
When we were kids we would ask each other on occasion to see what the answer was...

Would you rather slide down a 10 foot razor or jump into a vat of snot?

While neither seems like an answer we would prefer to choose, it would seem like jumping into a vat of snot would at least have a better outcome. Unless of course... you sank to the bottom of the vat. :wtf:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think different species give different kinds of bites. They can be different kinds of bad. A macaw bite is more crushing and can break bones and/or produce a lot of bruising. A cockatoo bite cuts more. I think a determined cockatoo can probably give some of the worst bites in terms of bleeding and potential for needing medical care. Although, some male amazons can be a little scary too. An amazon is more likely to take a chunk out and I think they are probably more likely to bite period. My male amazons are the only ones I think twice about handling on a regular basis. Stop to assess mood first.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Oh, the vat of snot reference really made me laugh! Yuck. I have been bitten by both an Amazon and a Blue and Gold Macaw. Both hurt equally. Both cause bleeding and both leave scars. I sometimes wonder if the B&G knows that he can really hurt me, so he goes a little easy. The Amazon however can be a real chomper!