• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon attitude with 7 year old grandson.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Solomon, my Mealy Amazon, has always viewed my grandson with wild excited hostility.
The moment he'd come over, eyes pin and tail flares. He run to the cage side and attack his bars in a wild display.

My Grandson Ryan knows to keep his distance.
My Goffin loves him, my Macaw is interested, but my Amazon has always seemed to intensely dislike him.
Ryan likes all my birds, but is a bit saddened by this.

Until the other day. He asked to sit on my computer to play games.
The PC is in Solomon's room. Solomon was out, but he's not a bird to climb to the floor so I turned on the computer for Ryan.
A short time later Solomon had climbed over two cages to be closer. So I moved a stand next to the PC desk. Solomon was soon on the stands edge, as close to Ryan as he's ever been, and no aggression! Ryan was frightened at first, but soon he was thrilled to have this green bystander watching him play his games. They stayed like this for an hour or two.

I'm hoping this is the start of a relationship between the two. Solomon is normally an easygoing bird, my small grandson was the only one he'd act up with.

The next day, he did his excited angry display upon seeing him again. :( Hoping though some calm interactions between the two will develope.

How do your birds view small children?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Solomon, my Mealy Amazon, has always viewed my grandson with wild excited hostility.
The moment he'd come over, eyes pin and tail flares. He run to the cage side and attack his bars in a wild display.

My Grandson Ryan knows to keep his distance.
My Goffin loves him, my Macaw is interested, but my Amazon has always seemed to intensely dislike him.
Ryan likes all my birds, but is a bit saddened by this.

Until the other day. He asked to sit on my computer to play games.
The PC is in Solomon's room. Solomon was out, but he's not a bird to climb to the floor so I turned on the computer for Ryan.
A short time later Solomon had climbed over two cages to be closer. So I moved a stand next to the PC desk. Solomon was soon on the stands edge, as close to Ryan as he's ever been, and no aggression! Ryan was frightened at first, but soon he was thrilled to have this green bystander watching him play his games. They stayed like this for an hour or two.

I'm hoping this is the start of a relationship between the two. Solomon is normally an easygoing bird, my small grandson was the only one he'd act up with.

The next day, he did his excited angry display upon seeing him again. :( Hoping though some calm interactions between the two will develope.
:bighug:
How do your birds view small children?
I have smaller birds, and Neelu-Peelu (budgies) won't care and go about doing whatever they want.
Cheeku (gcc) on the other hand is easy going with people of all ages, on one condition, that is that they don't start interacting with him, withing the first hour they meet. My cousins who have a parrot too came over to our place for a week (without the bird). My older cousin brother tends to avoid birds, and did not interact with him. My younger cousin sister, who loves birds started playing with him from the onset. He was very aggressive towards for the whole week. And Cheeku fell absolutely in love with my brother. Now my brothers attitude towards birds has gotten better and he is more caring towards them now :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley tolerates my kids :lol: But for the most part angry displays if they get nearby. He doesn't trust them unless he's perched on me. If he's anywhere near his cage he feels like he has to defend it, I think. I keep them separated to prevent any bad experiences for either side.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper was raised for 6 1/2 years with four young boys, only one was decent to her. Jasper hated children, but liked some teenagers. She particularly liked the two teens across the street who would give her rides on their bicycle handlebars.

Jasper hated small children and would get that raptor "I'm going to get you and tear you apart" look any time sub-teens came around. She especially hated three of the four boys she grew up with and never made any bones about it. Once when my #1 grandson was here and she was out, I left the room and she immediately attacked him, chased him down the hall into the bathroom and was trying to dig under the door to get to him. I saved him after rolling on the floor laughing - BTW my grandson is 6'3". When #2 grandson shows up she goes into fits of love.

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
My cockatiel Baby doesn't really like anyone, especially kids. She'll hiss at any kid that comes close to her and fly away if anyone teenager and up comes close, only exception if my mom and boyfriend. One time my boyfriend was here and I had her out on my shoulder. My boyfriend was skeptical about her flying at him to which I told him she is a shy bird and doesn't fly to anyone but me.....of course Baby proved me wrong and tried to fly to his shoulder. It surprised him and he ended up running out the room:lol:I couldn't help but laugh to see my 'tough' boyfriend running from a bird.

My budgie Bossy Girl on the other hand doesn't really care who holds her, kids or adults, she is very indifferent to people. She's the bird I let my younger brother's friends hold when they want to hold a bird. They know to stay clear of Baby. No one but me and my grandma has held my newer budgie Teddy so I have yet to know how he is with kids.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
My cockatiel Sunni likes every one, even my 1 yo brother, (watched VERY closely) This is probably because just a month ago he lived in a pet store that let anyone hold the birds supervised. He does prefer me though. My sister's budgie just prefers not to be handled, but she will tolerate anyone holding her if her cage isn't in sight and within flying distance.

BirdWorld

My budgies tolerate my family enough to eat millet from a long stalk when my younger siblings are holding it, but they’ll only eat from my hands or step up for me.

mak

Tooky used to only step up for me and was only comfortable on my shoulder but with the recent lockdown and a lot of work he will now step up most of the time for my 12 and 10 year old sons. He will also fly to perch on their heads and sit on their shoulders. :happydance:.
(He also enjoys nibbling on my 4 year old daughter's hair but she doesn't appreciate that and for the most part keeps her distance.)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I think at times older children move less erratically? Toddlers and pre teen just have too much energy and are always moving.
Birds view this with suspicion.
My grandson grew up with all 3 of mine. He knows 'bird etiquette' pretty well. ;)
Probably the only 7 year old boy that puts the toilet seat down! :hilarious:
I'm hoping as the years go past, bonds will form.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have never let children near my birds, or any of my pets for that matter. I value them far to much to allow harm to come to them. Children do not respect boundaries and do not understand that it's not okay to hurt them. The day I let any child near my pets is the day hell freezes over.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Well Bee... I understand and agree it's our duty to prevent harm.

But....

I'm pretty much the kid that got yelled at when the parents dog nipped me.
I was bothering the dog while eating. ;)

My daughters grew up with dogs, horses, fish, birds and small rodents. As did I.
My grandson is learning the proper approach (not the 'your fault' you got bit part), and learning to respect them.
Hoping he learns to love them as I do.
Nothing is better than your dog (or the pet of choice) greeting you after a hard day at school.
IMO every child needs to grow up with animals. :)
And I'm always willing to give any interested child in my orbit, a lesson on the wonders of the animal kingdom.

If we don't teach them, they may never be taught.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well Bee... I understand and agree it's our duty to prevent harm.

But....

I'm pretty much the kid that got yelled at when the parents dog nipped me.
I was bothering the dog while eating. ;)

My daughters grew up with dogs, horses, fish, birds and small rodents. As did I.
My grandson is learning the proper approach (not the 'your fault' you got bit part), and learning to respect them.
Hoping he learns to love them as I do.
Nothing is better than your dog (or the pet of choice) greeting you after a hard day at school.
IMO every child needs to grow up with animals. :)
And I'm always willing to give any interested child in my orbit, a lesson on the wonders of the animal kingdom.

If we don't teach them, they may never be taught.
I agree :) Adults who care about animals and can care for them properly were often children who grew up with animals and taught to care for them by their families!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I remember taking Chaos (My macaw) in a tupperware container to one of my daughters kickball games, she was about 10 I think.
Chaos was still not fully feathered, so very much a baby.
The whole team of girls were fascinated and shocked to see such a wild and exotic baby. They surrounded us the whole game, their parents and coaches as well. My daughters were the only ones not thrilled! :laugh:
I often wonder if that game we went to, fostered in any of those girls an interest in the animal mysteries that are out there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Even nasty Japer was taken to class a number of times as an educational bird. The kids could come up and pet her tail as long as she was on my arm and I had a hold on her head. I got some pretty dirty looks from her, but there were some thrilled children - and Jasper forgave me by the time we got in the car to go home.

Birds are delicate, but they aren't fine china.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My caiques LOVE kids but they’re unpredictable so I hover.

My WC Pionus, Ernie liked sitting on my shoulder while I taught violin and piano, but one of my students had high energy and fast movements and he would cause Ernie to wheeze. Plus he and his grandmother couldn’t get the concept of leaving the screen door SHUT so there were many chances for Ernie to get out the door. So, no more Ernie Supervisor.

I’ve posted pics here before of my white cockatiel sitting on my student as she played viola. The bird loved this one girl. She was more of an introvert than most of the others.... I feel like that’s why Spirit connected with her.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That reminds me of the time we took Sweden (Goffin) to school for show and tell.
She of course was a huge hit, and loved by one and all. And being a good cockatoo, she was on her best, sweetest behavior.
But once home, I thought it over. But as my daughter came into the house, Sweden got all excited and start babbling non-stop in the direction of my daughter. I think she was talking to her about her 'visit to school'! It was just too cute to see.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
But as my daughter came into the house, Sweden got all excited and start babbling non-stop in the direction of my daughter. I think she was talking to her about her 'visit to school'! It was just too cute to see.
That’s adorable!