• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Amazon ate pistachio shell

Dumplings

Sitting on the front steps
16343091076083151132358010161448.jpg
I fed my Amazon a pistachio this morning and later I found him bitting the shell. At first I thought he was just playing but later I did not see him drop the shell piecies... So I immediately took the shell away and took that photo. I am worried about the piece of the shape of a knife... If you can tell from the pic. Will the shell cut his gut inside...? Should I close watch him Incase emergency may happen?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anything is possible. While I've heard of a very few cases where a bird eats something inedible and damages their crop...its not common. If I found that on the floor of my amazon cage, I would think nothing of it. Many parrots like to chew on nut shells and may eat a few small bits of it. Some birds will eat enough to cause an impaction or problem, but most just chew it up into little pieces and it hits the floor. The small amount consumed isn't usually a problem. Watch his poops for the next day or two and make sure their is a green fecal portion that is well formed. That will tell you that food is moving though his gut okay.