• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazing Bread Recipe for Parrots and/or People!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdygirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeni
Hi Merlie, I am very much into healthy eating, and thought your bread looked divine! My Whole Foods has a bulk bin section full of dried fruits, nuts, and grains, and I will be raiding it tomorrow to make this bread. I will be using Stevia to sweeten. I'm sure my birdies will love to try a little. So excited to bake tomorrow :dance5:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Looks great, kind of like Birdie Biscotti! Except is has no flour, and it's not just for birdies. I am curious why you used ground flaxseed instead of flaxseeds. I like experimenting with spelt, and quinoa flours, just bought some fave garbanzo flour. What are your thoughts on almond flour?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Merlie, I am very much into healthy eating, and thought your bread looked divine! My Whole Foods has a bulk bin section full of dried fruits, nuts, and grains, and I will be raiding it tomorrow to make this bread. I will be using Stevia to sweeten. I'm sure my birdies will love to try a little. So excited to bake tomorrow :dance5:
If you're going to be feeding it to the birds, I'd skip the Stevia .. not a fan of these types of sweeteners for the birds. I know they're supposed to be all natural and stuff, but .. in this case, you'd be better off sweetening with honey, maple syrup or molasses.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks great, kind of like Birdie Biscotti! Except is has no flour, and it's not just for birdies. I am curious why you used ground flaxseed instead of flaxseeds. I like experimenting with spelt, and quinoa flours, just bought some fave garbanzo flour. What are your thoughts on almond flour?
Whole flax doesn't really do much as far as nutrition .. the digestive system doesn't break the seed down, it kinda just passes thru, more nutrition is available if you use ground flax.

I like using almond flour for flavor .. but I've found it just doesn't seem to have the "binding" power of some of the other flours. Right now I've been using a mix of Quinoa, Spelt, Kamut, Garbanzo, Coconut & Almond flours in my birdie bread. Not necessarily using all of them .. sometimes it's Quinoa, Kamut, Coconut .. or Quinoa, Spelt, Almond .. I mix it up .. but do like using Quinoa as my base, as it's a nutritional powerhouse. I've also found that adding Chia to all my breads really helps with the keeping them "together".

My birdie breads tend to be very dense and chunky .. so I need to make sure something is in there that can hold it all together all it just crumbles apart .. which really isn't a biggie, the birds don't care what it looks like! :lol:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

Whole flax doesn't really do much as far as nutrition .. the digestive system doesn't break the seed down, it kinda just passes thru, more nutrition is available if you use ground flax.

I like using almond flour for flavor .. but I've found it just doesn't seem to have the "binding" power of some of the other flours. Right now I've been using a mix of Quinoa, Spelt, Kamut, Garbanzo, Coconut & Almond flours in my birdie bread. Not necessarily using all of them .. sometimes it's Quinoa, Kamut, Coconut .. or Quinoa, Spelt, Almond .. I mix it up .. but do like using Quinoa as my base, as it's a nutritional powerhouse. I've also found that adding Chia to all my breads really helps with the keeping them "together".

My birdie breads tend to be very dense and chunky .. so I need to make sure something is in there that can hold it all together all it just crumbles apart .. which really isn't a biggie, the birds don't care what it looks like! :lol:
No they don't seem to care what it looks like. GCC Birdie now expects her mini muffin every morning. It's too funny. Did you buy the flaxseed ground, or do you put in the coffee grinder?

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Looks good - lots of healthy recipes on that site also for humans - great link! :)

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
No they don't seem to care what it looks like. GCC Birdie now expects her mini muffin every morning. It's too funny. Did you buy the flaxseed ground, or do you put in the coffee grinder?
I usually just buy it already ground, unless I spy a super awesome sale on whole seeds. I don't notice that much of a price different between the two usually.

However .. on the Quinoa flour .. there is a HUGE different in price between buying the Quinoa grain and the Quinoa flour. I grind my own Quinoa flour from the lightly toasted grain.

thebirdygirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeni
I ended up using some local unrefined honey to sweeten. I also added lots of apricots. The bread is quite dense, and quite delicious! I've had 3 pieces so far-will have more tomorrow if hubby leaves me any. All 3 of my birdies loved it!! YAY! Yummy recipe :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.