• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am i overreacting?

_Lara _

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone!
I feel like im constantly asking questions here and i hope i dont annoy anyone.
Janis and Jim are doing great, i just wonder sometimes, if we all are close enough... I see those videos of people patting their birds or cuddling with them and my birds are not down for that... I mean its been 6 months since i got them, they target, step up and also fly to my hand if i have food. We also enjoy to taste food together. I introduce them to new vegetables all the time and they love eating from my hand. But they warn bite me (not really biting but like playful ish, idk the english word for it) when they are on my hand and i cant really stroke them because they go away. They love to imitate my whistles and love to fly in circles above my head when they want attention. They have no problem with stepping up on their target stick. They love it! But my hand is still weird territory... As i said its been 6 months so i assume it's good progress considering they havent been hand raised and were at least a year old when i got them. I just cant help but wonder, am i doing sth wrong? Why aren't they more comfortable with me? Will we ever be that good of froeds that they will cuddle with me or like sit on my shoulder... What do you guys think?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If this is a poll, I'll vote for, "overreacting". :)

It sounds like you're developing a wonderful healthy trusting relationship with your guys.

Patting and cuddling makes for some cute video content, but it's not what our birds need. It's perfectly fine to aspire to a level of trust where they want to sit on your shoulder, but petting and stroking can lead to sexual frustration for our birds when they reach sexual maturity. That frustration can cause behavioural issues and aggression which are a challenge to deal with, and makes living together uncomfortable for all (birds and humans).

It's fine to stroke our birds' heads, and help them with the pin feathers they can't reach in that area is perfectly fine, but petting anywhere else shouldn't be as aspiration.