• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I feeding my cockatiel right?

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hello,
I am a new cockatiel owner as most of you know. I want to make sure I’m feeding him the right amount.
My
routine:
Morning - 1teaspoon seeds and 1 teaspoon pellets (he doesn’t really eat the pellets yet as he was raised on seeds)
Early afternoon - one leaf of Bok choy (he’ll eat about a hand size of this each day) and wheat

dinner - rest of the bok choy (or silverbeet depending what I have) red bell pepper and 1 teaspoon of wheat . He doesn’t finish all of this

I haven’t found any fruit that he likes yet, should I be concerned?
twice a week I will give him quarter of a boiled egg.
do you think a chop with more ingredients is better than what I’m doing? Any feedback is most welcomed whether it bad or good as I want the best for my lil guy :)

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
It will be a good idea to also introduce him to other types of veggies, give a good variety every day.
otherwise I don’t see too much of an issue. I personally don’t measure up my food so precisely, I just provide a bowl with a good mix of everything, it seems to work fine for both of my birds.

cockatiels are not big fruit-eaters, they prefer veggies, if they must eat fruits offer them dried, mine really likes dried bananas and berries :)

to get him to eat pellets, try soaking them in water, it helps them to learn eating them.
once he eats out if it start putting less water to soak them in, happy to hear you’re both starting to get to know each other

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think cockatiels should have access to food 24/7. They rarely overeat- unlike cags and dogs. I would probably give egg less often and try to add more varied vegetables. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If he’s not eating the pellets, and just the 1 teaspoon of seeds and some veggies, he is probably not getting enough food. Until he eats the pellets, you will have to give him more seeds. There are many threads on here that talk about getting your bird to eat pellets. Birdie bread is another thing you could try. He should have food he will eat available all day. Also, you don’t really have to limit the veggies he eats, and I agree, you can give him a wider variety of veggies.

BikkaTiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
hope
I would try making some chop for him and giving about a tbsp every morning. If he seems uninterested in the chop you can try sprinkling some seeds on top to entice! Then, in the afternoon/evening offer seeds & pellets. If he doesn't eat chop at first try mixing it into some birdie bread! My bird LOVES it and this will help convert him onto the pellets. hope this helps :)
Good luck!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can try mixing warm water into the pellets to make mash. Mine seem to live it. Can also mix veggies into this.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You can also try "sharing" some veggies with your bird. Some birds are more willing to try something unfamiliar if they see us eating it. My conure will try anything if he sees me eating it

Jupiter&Venus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kim
My 3 have access to seed 24/7.. they choose when to eat.. they also have an indoor garden that’s always growing and has veggies and plants to pick at when they please.. with their water bowl and bathing station.. plus they actually prefer to drink from the cat/dog water bowl.. they get crackers or Cheerio treats several times per week and they love apples!! My baby loves raspberries too! They started picking at those from my bearded dragon bowl.. the apples are always a popular addition to the garden or seed dish! They take time to try new things.. you may throw away a lot before they try something new.. but leave it there. Their curiosity always wins and they will end up loving lots of new things!