• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I doing anything wrong?

bitsy

Moving in
Frankie has had two bacterial infections in the last 4 months. I don't know how this is happening. His cage and everything in it is super clean. I change is food and water twice a day and I'm the only one in the house. He's recovering this time while on an antibiotic. He was a rescue and although I've had him for 5 years I've never been able to finger tame him. This makes giving him oral meds pretty tough but after much flying about in his cage I finally catch him and give him the med. Otherwise he's a very happy little guy. He loves his mirrors and spends all day yelling at that darn bird in the mirror. I have a laptop next to his cage that plays a budgie video and I refer to it as his flock. He eats seed plus fresh carrots, broccoli and apple every day. He has millet in the cage but he doesn't always eat it. I don't know how old he is but the lady who surrendered him said she'd had him for 2 years so he's around 7. He has an avian vet and she doesn't know why he's on his second round of infection. I love him madly and after reading this please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. So happy to have found this forum.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

What species is Franky?

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
From its place on the forum, I would say budgie.
Ugh, I read too quickly and read ¨Bird boulevard¨! :shy: Thanks Ali ;)

Are you changing water often?
Removing the fresh foods after an hour to avoid them spoiling?
Are they near a window where wild birds frequent?
Washing boings/cotton perches and other fabrics in the cage frequently?
Washing the fresh foods thoroughly?

..Just trying to think of some things...

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I assume he'll be getting another check once this round of antibiotics is over (?). This would be a good time to discuss probiotics with her. A healthy gut would be a lot harder for any invaders to get established.
Vegetables should be removed after a maximum of 2hrs, it's up to you if you want to put fresh ones back - as @Zara has already mentioned.
When things like this happen to anything we take care of - houseplants, parrots, children - it's all too easy to get involved in our own blame game. There's really no need, even if you have missed something simple anyone can do that.
Any pics to share?

bitsy

Moving in
Ugh, I read too quickly and read ¨Bird boulevard¨! :shy: Thanks Ali ;)

Are you changing water often?
Removing the fresh foods after an hour to avoid them spoiling?
Are they near a window where wild birds frequent?
Washing boings/cotton perches and other fabrics in the cage frequently?
Washing the fresh foods thoroughly?

..Just trying to think of some things...
Yes to all the above. His window overlooks the lanai and the pool so no other animals or birds are anywhere near. His cage and all his toys are squeaky clean. He has an appointment with the vet next week and I will bring up probiotics. Thanks for the suggestion. This is the only picture I have of him right now and this doesn't show the size of his cage which is quite large.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does he ever regurgitate on the mirror and eat it back? I don't see many toys/activities. Does he get out a lot?
Everything else looks and sounds fine.

bitsy

Moving in
Yes to all the above. His window overlooks the lanai and the pool so no other animals or birds are anywhere near. His cage and all his toys are squeaky clean. He has an appointment with the vet next week and I will bring up probiotics. Thanks for the suggestion. This is the only picture I have of him right now and this doesn't show the size of his cage which is quite large.
Also any

Attachments

bitsy

Moving in
He never regurgitates on his mirrors. The picture doesn't show all the toys and mirrors that he has. He's not bored as he has his laptop with parakeets singing and talking all day. I play the same video for him and call it his flock. He never gets out. He got out once and it took over a day to get him back to his cage. I've tried to finger tame him but he's not interested and just flies around his cage. I was very patient with him but he's not having any of it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies can get infections from emotional or environmental stress too. If you think this may play a roll in his health perhaps a calm environment can be helpful. No young children or other pets in the bird area is an example. Placing the cage against a wall instead of a window is another example of lowering stress.

bitsy

Moving in
Budgies can get infections from emotional or environmental stress too. If you think this may play a roll in his health perhaps a calm environment can be helpful. No young children or other pets in the bird area is an example. Placing the cage against a wall instead of a window is another example of lowering stress.
No other animals or any children but I'll try moving his cage to a wall. Thanks.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
All you can do is treat his infections. It is never too late to try and give him some real exercise. Is there a room that you can birdproof to bring his cage into to try and let him get some flytime? I know it's hard when they aren't hand tamed but he may improve with some real exercise. If there are places to land (including you) and a good perch outside his door he may surprise you by coming out and going in on his own. At the very least it will increase his lung capacity. That said, a friend may help as well although I am aware that this may not be an option.