• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I Crazy?

Mitzy B

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! Here to research and get my dose of parrot info.
I'm obsessed with my wild birds and also with the idea of welcoming a parrot into my home ...
I'm a total newbie but considering an African Grey which is being re-homed . Am I crazy?! Lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Pretty sure all bird people are crazy to some extent, how else could we happily live with the messy noisy temperamental brats? :roflmao:

rabbitic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tommy (they/he)
as others have said, i think you have to be some kind of crazy to want to own a bird lol. lamarr definitely makes me feel crazy!! but if you know what you're getting into and are prepared for the responsibility, i think they make amazing companions :pinkgrin:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

Bird people are always a little weird:roflmao:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the (crazy bird people) Avenue :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome :greet14:
I got a moluccan as my first big bird. I had a cockatiel before but didn't prepare me for my M2, Zane. I did know him for a couple years before hand though by volunteering. Since you the grey is a rehome is there a possibility of getting to know them before you make your final decision? Depending on the circumstances they may grieve their old home so be prepared for them to be moody for some time. That said with patience, knowledge and love you have yourself animal you bond with that's truly incredible. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose is right for you. I hope you stick around and enjoy your time here :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I also agree that most bird people are delightfully quirky at the very least. I would also say that the thing that would make me most nervous about bringing home an African grey as my first parrot is that they tend not to signal when they will bite so Can be harder to learn from. They are incredibly intelligent so it is like bringing home a five year old in some ways. Good luck whatever you choose. I know I would be tempted if the opportunity presented itself.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Welcome to the Avenue!!
Bird parents are crazy...all of us :lol:
I think as a first bird, african greys are absolutely a huge step, I would never be able to get one. But, if you're able to care for this birdie, give all the time and patience that they need, then go ahead! There's no "right beginner bird" while some are absolutely 'less maintenance' than others. Just as long as you know what you're getting into with a big parrot like an African Grey. My biggest piece of advice is research, ask any and all the questions you have, so you're able to care for whatever birdie you decide to take home with you :)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome! I personally think your only crazy if you are unprepared and get a bird. If you get a bird and are ready, then you'll just be strange :)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is this your heart bird? As many have said it is something you really have to consider, vet bills, food, etc. Did you know they are dusty, if you have a allergy and if you have sinuse issues a grey is not for you. One last thing, do you know the reason for rehome and why?

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
here two videos I thought my be helpful to you! They are awesome animals!