• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I correct in assuming these mutations?

throw away

Moving in
I've been up all night researching mutations after falling in love with two birds I saw online, so I made an account just to ask the experts. Am I correct in assuming that the first bird is a cobalt (or cobalt violet, or sky blue violet, I really can't tell, comparing pictures was hard) greywing? As for the second, sky blue full body greywing? If these are not correct, please let me know what is. I'm sorry I can't provide more and better pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

throw away

Moving in
Also, the description of this one says cobalt dilute, is that correct? I don't know if it has any dark factors, or not (and don't know how to tell that sort of thing when there's other mutations involved).

Attachments

throw away

Moving in
Now that I've seen some better pics, the first bird may be sky blue, df violet. I'm actually thinking it could be clearwing too, instead of greywing, but again: waiting for the experts to arrive.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I don’t know a lot of mutations but @HemlokHex might know

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I think you are pretty well correct in your mutation musing. Definitely 1) has a dark factor looking at the cheek patch. Hard to tell if grey or clearwing as wings look to be still growing in. Delightful baby! 2) looks to also have a dark factor but is indeed sky greywing boy. 3) indeed cobalt dilute. Pretty boy.
Very hard to exactly pin down the mutation mix with dilutes without knowing the parents or breeding to a known mutation hen.
There's a great resource on mutations on a weird site called puppies are prozac or something.... I'll look it up for you. Also worth boning up on budgie dna genotype vs phenotype on YouTube. Search budgie mutations explainer in YouTube and you will get the videos I'm thinking of!

throw away

Moving in
Thank you so much for the confirmation and the links! Sadly, all these photos were just ones I happened to see online while exploring so there won't be any future sharing from me. 3) was just one I was trying to confirm since the post on the site (that's often not accurate) said it was a cobalt dilute luckily, so that one is for sure. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again :)

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
@AussieBird is another helpful person I forgot to tag!
It is interesting to muse upon birds genetics, and if you read that full page at the link I posted and look at the punnet squares, the possibilities are pretty mindblowing!
I'll tag you in a thread where we were talking about the mutations in a new pair I bought last month. And even though I know the parents and something of the grandparents and great-grandparents, it's still genetic potluck until I get a few clutches from them (hopefully) and see what they produce.
Other than the easier genetics (sf spangles produce 50pc spangles, for example, and opalines are fairly predictable), sometimes you just don't know what mix will happen!
Happy bird window shopping!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Normally I'd do a bit of a look around for you (I need to do a mutation refresher for myself :lol:), but am a bit busy atm have this handy link for you though. This website is very helpful with mutations (at least for me) because of all the visuals.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Normally I'd do a bit of a look around for you (I need to do a mutation refresher for myself :lol:), but am a bit busy atm have this handy link for you though. This website is very helpful with mutations (at least for me) because of all the visuals.
Yeah that's a handy website, too.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I tend to stay away from mutations, too much to think about right now. Very pretty birds though so it makes no nevermind.:heart:

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I tend to stay away from mutations, too much to think about right now. Very pretty birds though so it makes no nevermind.:heart:
Lol you can't stay away from mutations!
Since I've been in here, you and @AussieBird have been my mutation muses!
Tho if you need a bit of peace, zen to you, friend ❤