• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I Being Too Paranoid About Bird Safety?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
After having this bird for only a little over a week, I've realized how much of a paranoid bird-mom I'm being. I'm throwing out Teflon pans, checking every product in my house to make sure its safe and just being super paranoid in general. Am I being too paranoid here or not? Everyone I talk to just looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them about all these hazards I need to avoid and I feel like I'm a little crazy here. I guess I just need to know the MAIN concerns I should have when it comes to owning a bird because its good to worry but I think I might be worrying a little too much.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Teflon is an instant killer of birds. Get rid of every bit of the teflon. Ptfe and Pfoa are the fumes that are deadly and you should check everything you get for it being Ptfe and Pfoa free.

Candles, air, fresheners, perfumes and strong odored cleaners are also no-no's.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are being a normal bird mom like the rest of us. I suggest you read our unsafe toy sub forum under safety. I even check the books the toys hang from because they can come open

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
After seeing my first Teflon pan peel, I started to doubt if it was even safe for people. We don't smoke, use hairdryers, nor techy space heaters, and anything perfumed gives me migraines anyway, so for us the transition wasn't too difficult.

BF was fond of his microwave popcorn...yuck! (Can't stand that artificial chemical smell either.) That has been the only *inconvenience* so far.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No you are NOT being overly cautious. We have to be -- nobody is going to walk into our homes and remove the silicone oven liner or toss our teflon pans for us. Nobody's going to blow out the candles if we forget and light them.

You are being a good parront. ;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You're not being crazy at all! Good for you for being so conscientious, non bird people just don't understand.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yup. You're infected. It's terminal. I'm sorry. :)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Im really new to bird mom status and I got the looks for all the same things, especially from the husband but just about everyone else as well. I currently am trying to sell my nearly $300 set of circulon pans and replaced them with stainless steel. we had NO cooking pots until they arrived and the hubby was a little "seriously?" with me..ive moved all the candles out of the room and im constantly googling Cockatiel and something...its our new state of existence-welcome :)

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
People will think you are crazy. My fiance I thought I was being overly paranoid, but one I explained he gets it now. My brother used to tease me about, but even he understood after I told when told him to think about why miners used to have canaries in the coal mines. That is when it clicked for him.

Whether your friends or family get it or not, just keep doing what you're doing. No one else is going to look out for your bird but you.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No, you are doing a good job, everyone that comes to my house knows there is a 'no smoke in my house' rule, second hand smoke is just as bad. People think we're nuts but eventually they get it. To add to the list of no's, self cleaning ovens, if you have any doubt about what you use or want too use, contact the manufacturer or us!