• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aly's Getting Fat (Question/help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
I noticed and my parents noticed since they don't see them as much as me that since being here she is gettinf fatter. I know amazons are prone to being overweight and I don't want that to happen. I feed her Tropican every day with seeds once in a while (couple times a week), fruits and veggies, mash, peanuts (once in a while) - so nothing that is fattening, no junk, I keep it healthy.

ps
She is an amazon

Any suggestions

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The first thing is to get a scale and actually start weighing her.

Peanuts are fattening.

If she is getting fat then she is simply eating too much. Cut back on the amount you feed her and promote more activity.

Feel her chest and check her keel bone. It should protrude slightly. If it does not and the chest muscles stick out further than the bone then she is getting too fat.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I personally wouldn't cut hack on the amount she eats yet. You meed to weigh her, and weigh how much she eats daily.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Sounds like a little more exercise is in order also. Is she flighted? How about a flying exercise each day? Also weighing is imperitive. As far as cutting back on food I would think it's like a human...not alot of exercise then cutting down a bit should help. My birds are on an allotment of food each day and bowls do not get filled to the top.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks guys. I will promote more flying. She is flighted but likes to stick to me so I will try and get her flying more, we can work on that. I usually give them as much food as they want, pellets. Maybe more fruits and veggies. John what is her keel bone? Her chest protrudes slightly, I just checked it out. I have a scale that weighs in grams. I will see if it still works, if not I will get one. Thanks for the help.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
My birds all get their ration of seeds and or pellets each morning. That's it. If they toss it out then...but I do keep newspaper on Nelly's grate to catch the flying pellets. So if I am gone she can always go down and get some. They also get breakfast. Fruits,vegies etc. Around 5 or 6pm everyone gets a snack. Nutriberries,avi cakes,millet or maybe a piece of 12 grain bread. Occassionally the teils will get some cooked pasta. I use a scoop to measure out their food. No one goes hungry and they are all a good weight.
Especially with Amazons who are prone to weight gain I have been told it's not a good idea to give a bird all they want to eat. My canary of course has access to his seed all day especially because he is so active. The teils have seed also but again their dishes are measured out.
It's very easy to put weight on but not so easy to get it off.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Thanks guys. I will promote more flying. She is flighted but likes to stick to me so I will try and get her flying more, we can work on that. I usually give them as much food as they want, pellets. Maybe more fruits and veggies. John what is her keel bone? Her chest protrudes slightly, I just checked it out. I have a scale that weighs in grams. I will see if it still works, if not I will get one. Thanks for the help.
Feeding more veggies & a bit more fruit is better than increasing pellets.
The keel bone is the long, straight bone that runs down the front of the breast.
Does she have a boing? amazons love boings:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The Keel bone is the long ridge bone right down the front.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks guys I will cut back. Yes, amazons are prone to getting fat. That's why I want to stop it now. Thanks John I checked and it's okay. Maybe Im worrying for nothing. But Im still going to give less pellets. She's not fond of treats so that's a good thing. The others are.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How much fruit does she eat? You should have her seen by an avian vet before trying to make her lose weight.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Harrisons' website offers a recommendatuon for the amount of food you should feed your bird daily.

I think amazons are 15g plus 1 tbsp of fruit or veggies.... I will eta to add the link.

Eta: In context:Harrison's food chart

Just the chart:

There are more charts and the recommendations vary based on which of their foods you choose. I would compare your food to the chart and take an average to get to the right amount. Humans have a tendency to overfeed our pets.

Last edited:

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Does the seed mix have sunflower seed in it ??
With Shumway my YNA I took all sunflower seed away and he lost weight. He was way over weight, he has become more active just from loosing the weight. He would dig all the sunflower seed out and eat way too many of them.

jaytee

Jogging around the block
Thanks guys I will cut back. ...But Im still going to give less pellets. She's not fond of treats so that's a good thing. The others are.
Pellets have a good range of vitamins, and minerals, she needs. Vegies also have vitamins ad minerals. Fuits, and seeds, have more sugars, and oils.......... (=) fat. That's where to cut back.

patagonian

Hit the Road
Wow!! Good point Jaytee!! there are so many Pellet bashers here if you know what I mean!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
When I got her she went to the vet. She is due for a check up in 3 months, they all are. I make fruits salad and veggies salad for them every day. In the morning she gets a serving of fruits (lots of different stuff) and at night a serving of veggies (lots of different stuff too). I pushed the date up to next week. Because I don't know if she is at a normal weight. What is a good weight for an amazon?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
There isn't a good weight for an amazon. :) My boy is perfect at 715g, but that would be morbidly obese for most of the smaller amazons. Your vet should be able to give you a good estimate of what her ideal weight might be.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You should get a gram scale. I got mine at Walmart relatively cheap :) and if your avian vet feels Aly is fat. Decrease all seed and fruits in the diet, add more leafy green veggies and red and Orange veggies. Take away potatoes and corn from her diet if she gets them.

Status
Not open for further replies.