• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alternative to sun flower seeds

Jasmine223

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine hall
Does anyone know of any seeds that are beneficial, I have recently got a Quaker and I am wanting to build a bond, I’m trying to wean him into pellets but atm the only treat he will take is sunflower seeds. Is there any other seeds that are heathier and a better alternative

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunflower seeds actually do have nutrients in them. They get a bad wrap I think because often if given a choice birds will eat only sunflower seeds, which of course, isn't good, and they are higher in fat. If you're looking to use them as a treat, I think they're fine. My birds also love millet spray. And some of my foster birds have loved safflower seed.

A good read: Little Feathered Buddies Health & Nutrition - Seeds, Nuts, Grains

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Sunflower seeds are nice for treats since you can break them into smaller pieces. My bird also likes safflower seeds, pine nuts (love these since they are soft and I can break them into tiny bits), walnuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds - any nut really. We chage up our treats frequently to keep things interesting.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nutriberries whilst arent much use for training due to there size are a excelent treat they also contain some pellets so may help with transitioning.