• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alternative Bedding?

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
This question relates to alternative bedding aka cage liner material :D Is anyone aware if coconut coir or coconut husk fiber is safe for birds? Or cork chips, for that matter? Both are often used for reptiles.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the issues with those are same as any litter for birds

- They retain moisture and have a lot of surface area which can create great places for bacteria to hang out

- They do not allow a good way of monitoring droppings, which are often the first signal your bird is sick

- Litters tend to make us believe we don't have to clean the cage as often; dried fecal particles that get airborne (from wing flapping, etc) are then breathed in by person and bird and can cause health issues for both.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You know, I used to use bird sand when I first got my own bird. I probably used it for 1.5-2 years, but after having two cages for a few months the bill was getting out of hand. Not to mention it would all get stuck to the tray and made for more cleaning. Honestly I have to laugh when I think back how ridiculous. I bet I spent a fortune on it.
Paper all the way! Cheaper, can monitor droppings and fallen foods and in general (as far as parrots go) a lot less messy. I wouldn´t even consider anything other than paper now.