• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alright so...

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If I have the sexes correct, the female beat the everloving snot out of the male late last night. They were separated overnight, seemed fine through separate cage walls this morning, and then the second he was put back she chased him every which way until he was removed again.

So for right now (this is TEMPORARY! Don't look at me like that!) I have him. He's chilling out in a travel cage while I clean my quarantine cage out.

He's nameless. He's cute. VERY skittish and afraid of hands. When I said I wanted budgies, I really wanted hand tamed ones. Not "hey I found this in my yard" ones. Which is why this is *temporary*.

What do we do? Do females get over this eventually? What causes this?

Attachments

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw he is precious! Such beautiful colours. I never wanted budgies especially but would never want a blue and green budgie pair, so boring. Guess what I ended up with :lol:

@AussieBird regarding the girl attitude. Personally I think maybe they will be needing seperate cages but my budgie experience is severely limited.

Skittish birds are just as capable of becoming loving companions though. I have a lovebird rescue that was so skittish, would panic against the sides of the cage as soon as he saw someone. My budgie Zora I found on the highway, super super skittish maybe even more than the lovie. She would escape through a teeny gap when I fed her and fly all over the living room, terrified. All are friendly now, none of my lovies or budgies came ‘tame’ to me. Actually my conure that has been handraised and is 8 years old has become incredibly skittish after having to medicate him. Budgies are really awesome and I believe you can quickly make friends with him. He doesn’t look that scared, no way I could have gotten that close to any of my birds when I first got them except the conures. We have enough birds for now but I would love more budgies, they are really awesome!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ahw he is precious! Such beautiful colours. I never wanted budgies especially but would never want a blue and green budgie pair, so boring. Guess what I ended up with :lol:

@AussieBird regarding the girl attitude. Personally I think maybe they will be needing seperate cages but my budgie experience is severely limited.

Skittish birds are just as capable of becoming loving companions though. I have a lovebird rescue that was so skittish, would panic against the sides of the cage as soon as he saw someone. My budgie Zora I found on the highway, super super skittish maybe even more than the lovie. She would escape through a teeny gap when I fed her and fly all over the living room, terrified. All are friendly now, none of my lovies or budgies came ‘tame’ to me. Actually my conure that has been handraised and is 8 years old has become incredibly skittish after having to medicate him. Budgies are really awesome and I believe you can quickly make friends with him. He doesn’t look that scared, no way I could have gotten that close to any of my birds when I first got them except the conures. We have enough birds for now but I would love more budgies, they are really awesome!
He's OK in the cage, but having to stick my hand in there to add food and water sent him into a panic. Poor little dude. He's eating and drinking though, so I'm not super worried about him. And he's already chattering away - but no flock calls, so he doesn't seem distressed being away from his lady friend, although that might come later on.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw what a little sweetie,weather temporary or permanent congrats on taking care of this little one :heart:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I can't even tag someone to be my ally :roflmao:

If he's able to go back to his girlfriend he's going back! The only plan I had for a "new bird" was to eventually get a second cockatiel. Budgies weren't for a while!

I don't have a budgie!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't even tag someone to be my ally :roflmao:

If he's able to go back to his girlfriend he's going back! The only plan I had for a "new bird" was to eventually get a second cockatiel. Budgies weren't for a while!

I don't have a budgie!
I was trying to not say you'll be keeping him! Lol :p
I believe that you can resist and hopefully he can be reunited with his friend once she cools down.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
So for right now (this is TEMPORARY! Don't look at me like that!) I have him. He's chilling out in a travel cage while I clean my quarantine cage out.
:rolleyes:

Now did it just happen to work out you took the boy or did you not want to handle the girl? :roflmao: (btw if you want help sexing the"girl" PM me a picture)

Fights can start because of a few things, has either been looked at by a vet? They could just be not compatible, or maybe it's their cage? How big was it and how was it set up?
@Lori D Pert

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:rolleyes:

Now did it just happen to work out you took the boy or did you not want to handle the girl? :roflmao: (btw if you want help sexing the"girl" PM me a picture)

Fights can start because of a few things, has either been looked at by a vet? They could just be not compatible, or maybe it's their cage? How big was it and how was it set up?
@Lori D Pert
Honestly I'm hoping that I've sexed them correctly because I have no idea :roflmao: I swear when I looked at him this morning his ceres were pink and now they look blue, so... I dunno. He could be a she, for all I can tell:rofl: the other one is nearly impossible to get a clear photo of because she doesn't hold still for anything if anyone is near her.

The cage isn't huge, since we were hoping to find owners - she picked up a medium sized one from Walmart, I'd estimate it to be 36"H 18"W 18"D? Not large, but something to grab in a pinch. No vet checks yet, just because we were hoping for owners. I think if no one comes up this weekend she's planning on calling Monday to set up an appointment.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Honestly I'm hoping that I've sexed them correctly because I have no idea :roflmao: I swear when I looked at him this morning his ceres were pink and now they look blue, so... I dunno. He could be a she, for all I can tell:rofl: the other one is nearly impossible to get a clear photo of because she doesn't hold still for anything if anyone is near her
You could maybe try a video of her? I might be able to get a good enough look.
The one you have is definitely a boy ;)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You could maybe try a video of her? I might be able to get a good enough look.
The one you have is definitely a boy ;)
I'll see if she can get one!

Edit - I guess the other is a boy too, she said I might have the girl because the green one has blue ceres too. So I guess two boys? Do they get territorial?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Sorry, we're on the phone with each other right now trying to figure it out :roflmao: you're getting live play by play updates lmao

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Edit - I guess the other is a boy too, she said I might have the girl because the green one has blue ceres too. So I guess two boys? Do they get territorial?
Yes, they can. But not as common as girls. @Kassiani @Sparkles99

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
She said the green one is very calm as long as every human is out of sight. The second someone enters the room it loses its crap and starts flying all over the cage. I told her to put it in the guest room with the door shut and a sheet over the cage (it's evening here anyway). There are multiple food/water containers in the cage.

Should I tell her to leave it covered through tomorrow, or to take the sheet off tomorrow but keep the door shut? The room doesn't get super bright at midday, but it's bright enough to know it's daytime.