• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aloe + water mix for spraying our birds??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
My gold capped conure has something that someone else mentioned could be called a "slow molt". Could be due to lack of sunlight (unlikely) or too much protein in the diet (more likely, I kept him on the same food the breeder used) and I'm switching him to a different blend. But anyway, he has a lot of pin feathers that appear to never really form or break the keratin casing. They only are around his head, the ones that appear on his body he is able to preen. He's had a continual amount of pin feathers for the several years I've had him. Do you think diluting his spray with aloe would help with this to ease any discomfort (he doesn't appear to be in any, but he sure likes me to give him rubs there) and maybe help soften those casings so they would break off?
Also planning on adding some ACV to his water to help boost his health, as well as planning to add it to my diet as well :p Never would have thought I would get holistic fat burning and energizing tips on a parrot site, but I'm so glad I did!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
My gold capped conure has something that someone else mentioned could be called a "slow molt". Could be due to lack of sunlight (unlikely) or too much protein in the diet (more likely, I kept him on the same food the breeder used) and I'm switching him to a different blend. But anyway, he has a lot of pin feathers that appear to never really form or break the keratin casing. They only are around his head, the ones that appear on his body he is able to preen. He's had a continual amount of pin feathers for the several years I've had him. Do you think diluting his spray with aloe would help with this to ease any discomfort (he doesn't appear to be in any, but he sure likes me to give him rubs there) and maybe help soften those casings so they would break off?
Also planning on adding some ACV to his water to help boost his health, as well as planning to add it to my diet as well :p Never would have thought I would get holistic fat burning and energizing tips on a parrot site, but I'm so glad I did!

it might help

are you able to touch him? or is he one of the famous (I have a lot of them) No touching me kinda birds?

if you can touch him you can rub those pin feathers easily between your thumb and index finger and break them open

thats why my b/f does to Billy The Quaker(he chose my b/f i can't touch him) because Billy is a Human only bird - he doesn't like birds - So no one preens him

he does it with my Quaker Gumby too but he has to towel her. because she doesn't like him she chose me LOL

we are still patiently waiting for Billy and Gumby to be friends so they can preen each other

Gumby gets a crap load of pins on the back of her neck and certain ways she turns you can just see them all it makes my tummy do flips - so i can't do preen her - not sure why it makes me sick but it does lol

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Aloe Vera should be mixed 1 part Aloe to 3 parts water. Get them soaking wet and allow to air dry (patting off the excess water if you want). Once or twice a week for maintenance is good and more for feather problems. You can also add it to their drinking water using same ratio (1 part Aloe vera to 3 prts water) and use it once or twice a week.
Look for pure aloe vera without any additives. :)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it! With Archie here and Ella in the process of being transferred into my house hold to withstand her quarantine, I think all of these tips are great. I'm a huge fan of holistic (having personally received more results from my holistic alternatives than ANY of the steroids and prescriptions my doctors put me on) and would really want to carry that over to my birds as well :) I want them to live long, happy, healthy lives with me!

SPTN58

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Perry
Isolde gets a shower (with me) every other day. Twice a week after her shower, I will also spray her with a mixture of 1 part pure aloe juice, 2 parts water. It helps her during her molts, she smells good, and her feathers are marvelous! She loves getting wet!

Status
Not open for further replies.