• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aloe Vera Bath Spray for Plucking?

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I’ve been working with my vet to make sure that Sprout’s (lovebird) feather chewing isn’t being caused by an underlying condition. Her bloodwork is normal and tests for bacteria and yeast are normal. We are left with it’s hormonal or a habit OR a mix of both. Her feather chewing starts when she’s molting...outside of molting she leaves her feathers alone.

We are going to try an Aloe Vera bath, but the directions have me a little worried. Georges Aloe Vera 8oz-Harrison's Bird Foods
It’s recommending adding 2 drops WooliteTM to the mix as a wetting agent. Has anyone ever done this? Or am I just being too cautious?

I really want to help Sprout and get her feathers around her neck back to normal again. I’m trying to avoid a cone

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I can tell you this right now. There is no magic potion for plucking. The Aloe is not harmful but all you would be doing is gunking up clean feathers with something. It may cause sprout to over preen even more.

If your bird is behavioural plucking then the solution is to change the situation when these things happen. More stimulation. More space. More flight time. Diet. Things like that.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have never used anything on my birds' feathers other than pure water. Aloe is very sticky and glumps up feathers.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
This is an aloe juice that’s added to water. So it doesn’t seem to be super sticky, but it will be something to look out for. Our vet thinks we need to soothe her skin to provide relief as a start.

She chews her feathers when they are in the itchy pin form. I find half exposed pin feathers (not bloody) on the bottom of her cage. This has been an ongoing thing, and we’ve been increasing her out of cage/flight, new toys, bigger cage...all over the course of 1 year not to stress her out. We’ve spent about $3k between vet visits, cage, toys and lighting. So it’s not like we aren’t trying.

I’m not giving up, just was curious if anyone followed these directions before.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Have you ever had a culture and sensitivity done on her feather roots. This will identify if there is an infection in the roots of her feathers. Many times it is physical and not emotional.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Have you ever had a culture and sensitivity done on her feather roots. This will identify if there is an infection in the roots of her feathers. Many times it is physical and not emotional.
I haven’t done that yet. It’s something I’ve been wondering, but didn’t know if there was test for it. I know dogs get skin scrapes (not official name? lol) for mites. Thank you. I’ll look into it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birds also get skin scrapings. My Jasper got one when she had a rash on her cheeks.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd stay away from anything that mentions using woolite in it even is small amounts.

Woolite is a gentle clothes wash detergent but would ot want it left on the birds skin even in very dilute concentration.

Have to be careful with water too. Sometimes the minerals/ chemicals in it can cause the skin to itch.

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
When my Quaker, Boo is plucking, mutilating, barbering, any or all at once, I think water is the best. If you have hard water, or you’re worried, buy some filtered water. There’s no reason to add anything to their feathers and skin when you’re trying to figure out why they’re picking at it.
Many times placing a collar will make the problem worse. If she’s not breaking the skin open, I’d try to refrain from a collar. They’re many many half naked birds who are perfectly happy and healthy. You may not find a reason.