• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aloe Detox Formula Dosage

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
since AVC kills good and bad bacteria, should i keep giving it to my fids? i thought it helped them
-------------------------------------
ACV changes the PH in the gut, so it really should be used short-term only and followed up with probiotics to restore the PH balance.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm not 100% positive but I don't think it affects the 'good bacteria' at all. It's not like ACV (apple cider vinegar) where it kills off bacteria, good and bad. It's basically flushing the impurities from their systems and organs, especially the liver. You can read a bit more about it here Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds
Carolyn Swicegood of Land of Vos fame is the person who first made it popular among bird keepers...and Gary has also brought that same concept along with many other things to all of us as bird keepers.
Hi, like James mentioned you are flushing the toxins from the liver and other organs. Aloe detox does not eradicate bacteria like antibiotics so you are not going to need a probiotic to follow the treatment.

Dosing, start the bird out on a half a cap full to a pint of water. Once it is used to the taste increase it to a full cap full to a pint of water. Like John mentioned if the bird is sick or you think it may have ingested something toxic give it to them 50/50 or stronger as long as they drink it.

James you did a very good explanation....:dance4::dance4:

gary

:thanks: :yourock: I went and read that! :) as soon as I get paid I'm off to the store to track some down!

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Thanks for starting this post Saroj! :highfive:

Make sure you refrigerate your aloe/water mixture and change your water out at least two times a day. For the best results, you can pull your bird's water at night. First thing in the morning, serve the aloe detox water. A bird will drink the most first thing. This way, you are sure he is getting a good dose of it. This is how I detox my birds. It is good to do it about 2 times a year.

I usually change out the water to fresh water in the afternoon/evening. The morning water is the aloe mixture.

Aloe detox cleanses the liver and kidneys. It also contains herbs that are very helpful to the liver and kidneys, as well to help circulation, heart and help boost their immune system: Milk Thistle Seed, Burdock Root, Dandelion Root, Green Tea Leaf, Red Clover Tops, Echinacea Angustifolia Root
I always thought of giving this as a form of treatment and it didn't dawn on me until now to give it to the birds as preventative care! DUH! :lol:

I'm definitely going to track some down!!! :D

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Thanks for starting this post Saroj! :highfive:

I always thought of giving this as a form of treatment and it didn't dawn on me until now to give it to the birds as preventative care! DUH! :lol:

I'm definitely going to track some down!!! :D
This place has it very reasonable ($9.61 for a 32 oz bottle) with $4.99 shipping: Products - Vitacost

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
VERY informative thread! Thanks so much everyone. Also thanks for all the links. I will definitely pick some up.
To clarify, once I make up the mixture I offer to birds for one week and repeat every 6 months?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
VERY informative thread! Thanks so much everyone. Also thanks for all the links. I will definitely pick some up.
To clarify, once I make up the mixture I offer to birds for one week and repeat every 6 months?
Is this correct? I am ordering some today so also need the regiment plan. thanks. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im also picking some up *hopefully* today, if not very soon.:D

I want to give it to my birds in their water and on their feathers. So orally its ok is they drank 50% or more? What about being sprayed onto their feathers? Is there too much of a good thing when it comes to aloe detox?

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
For their feathers I use just plain aloe juice. I don't know that I would spray the aloe detox, since it has other things in it, I'm not sure how it would affect the feathers.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Judy is that if they have a problem or just for preventative? What if they have diarreah already? If it is a diaretic will it harm them?

Im also picking some up *hopefully* today, if not very soon.:D

I want to give it to my birds in their water and on their feathers. So orally its ok is they drank 50% or more? What about being sprayed onto their feathers? Is there too much of a good thing when it comes to aloe detox?
I have been told straight Aloe with water for feathers is the best. I still need to find some. Been looking at stores but haven't gone to my health food store this week.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
This place has it very reasonable ($9.61 for a 32 oz bottle) with $4.99 shipping: Products - Vitacost
wow I just paid twice that much today. Wish I had more time to order. Needed it now!
Gizmo drank it up. I think he would drink it straight if I gave it to him. What is the amout I should be giving him anyway?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aloe detox cleanses the liver and kidneys. It also contains herbs that are very helpful to the liver and kidneys, as well to help circulation, heart and help boost their immune system: Milk Thistle Seed, Burdock Root, Dandelion Root, Green Tea Leaf, Red Clover Tops, Echinacea Angustifolia Root
It doesn't list that the Green Tea is decaffeinated. Does anyone know the amount of caffeine in this? Probably a moot point for me; I don't want to give my birds any caffeine. I'm going to try to find out from the Co. if the GTL has caffeine in it.

Last edited:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
that is prob a good point but i need all the other ingredients. I am sure it is cafd. orit would say it isn't, although green tea is dif than black.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a chance to do some reading today;

The Lily of the Desert detox doesn’t have the same ingredients as the Naturade Detox that Carolyn Swicegood refers to in her articles. The new LOD brand contains ALOESORB™ which according to the .pdf document is relatively new (5 years). It doesn’t list the Aloesorb on the ingredients but says on the bottle its in there. Aloe Vera Organic Detox Herbal Formula by Lily of the Desert

I don’t know enough about herbs to know if these differences make a difference.

Lily of the Desert Detox Ingredients: *Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel (fillet & whole leaf with fiber
Proprietary Herbal Blend: Spearmint Leaf, Milk Thistle Seed, Burdock Root, Dandelion Leaf, Echinacea Leaf, Green Tea Leaf, Red Clover Leaf, Blue Cohosh Root, Buckthorn Bark 500 mg
Other Ingredients: Natural Flavor, Xanthan gum, Citric Acid (pH stabilizer), less than 0.1% each of Sodium benzoate and Potassium Sorbate, used as food grade preservatives.

It is enhanced with Polysaccharide-rich ALOESORB™.

What is ALOESORB™?
http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/files/pdf/ScienceofAloeVera.pdf

Naturade Aloe Vera Detox Ingredients: Aloe Vera Pulp 600 mg
Proprietary Herbal Blend: 120 mg Milk Thistle Seed, Burdock Root, Dandelion Root, Green Tea Leaf, Red Clover Tops, Echinacea Angustifolia Root, Arabinogalactan 100 mg.
Other Ingredients: Aloe Vera Gel from Concentrate, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.
Aloe Vera Detox Formula 1 qt from NATURADE

I never heard of Arabinogalactan, so had to look it up.
Arabinogalactin

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Karen my bottle says 80 % organic. FYI I tasted it... there are very few things I don't like to eat.... I never want this in my mouth again.
Fifi dumped her bowl out but Gizmo drank it like a fish.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
wow I just paid twice that much today. Wish I had more time to order. Needed it now!
Gizmo drank it up. I think he would drink it straight if I gave it to him. What is the amout I should be giving him anyway?
Darn! Sorry you missed out on that.

I usually make a 2 liter bottle and use one capful of the 32 oz bottle. I used this for 7 days as the drinking water.

I am not sure if I posted this before, but you will likely see a change in droppings. They may be a very dark color. That is all of the toxins coming out of their system.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
OMG - ever since we got Pru I have been cutting a peice of Aloe off of my Aloe plant (about an inch long) one a week or so, and just giving it to her! She LOVES it, goes bonkers for it!! And I had no idea it had any health affects - I just knew it was on the plant safe list and she loves it!
Is it OK that Ive been giving it to her like that, or would I have to use this liquid diluted with water?

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
OMG - ever since we got Pru I have been cutting a peice of Aloe off of my Aloe plant (about an inch long) one a week or so, and just giving it to her! She LOVES it, goes bonkers for it!! And I had no idea it had any health affects - I just knew it was on the plant safe list and she loves it!
Is it OK that Ive been giving it to her like that, or would I have to use this liquid diluted with water?
As far as I know, aloe plants are perfectly safe as long as they are washed thoroughly. I believe you would want to dilute the Aloe Detox since it is a concentrate and contains things other than just aloe.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Ah, I see!! :) What a relief! Cause she sure does love it straight off the plant! :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm going to be the naysayer here. Holistic medicine such as aloe and all the other products found in various Aloe Dextoxes are just as dangerous if not more so than traditional medicine. The problem is that Holistic medicine has absolutely no guidelines and is not ever tested. Traditional medicine, for what it's worth, is at least regulated by the FDA. This thread scares me because so many people are jumping on this band wagon and have no idea what they are truly giving their birds. Many holistics are dangerous and deadly if not used correctly.

Carolyn Swicegood got some great results with aloe detox with sick birds. She was using it as a last resort because the vets couldn't find anything else that was helping and she was going to lose her bird. Since this miraculous recovery, everyone and their brother is getting on this band wagon and it could cause the loss of your bird.

Just like most of us wouldn't give traditional medicine to our bird without our vet telling us to do so, we should heed this thought with holistic medications that we don't really understand as well, especially when it isn't just an herb that we are giving them but a factory produced product that has a lot of herbs in it.

Below is what Shawna Roberts, owner of Feeding Feathers on Yahoo, has to say about aloe detox. All I'm asking is that you be informed before jumping on the next best fad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shawna Roberts from the Feeding Feathers Yahoo group posted this to the group about aloe detox:

Under my guidance? Are you sure? I'm not an aloe detox fan or a fan of
adding aloe to the water or using topically...and never have been.
Must have been someone else.

The claims made about aloe detox in the late 90's are nothing short of
a miracle and I would more suspect doctor mis diagnosis than I would
give credit to the aloe detox because its past incredible what was
claimed to happen.

It has always contained or used to contain sodium benzoate which has
caused problems in laboratory animal tests. If you had a really sick
animal and needed a last ditch effort then one might try aloe detox
but I'm just not sold on it at all. I would rather use more specific
remedies.

If it now contains echinacea then that would be another reason not to
use it long term. Echinacea and astralagus are herbs that ....bring a
bodies army out to defend it, call the white blood cells into battle.
Continually calling them out could hypothetically set one up in to
avoid the little ailments but then if something big came along to fall
victim...cause the armies just plain tuckered out. These two herbs are
not immunity builders but immunity enhancers and should be reserved
for time of need.

Aloe itself long term is a diuretic and is known to pull mostly
potassium from the body. Depending on how much is given and for how
long one could become potassium deficient which is serious and could
even result in death.

Shauna
list owner