• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Almonds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Where can I fine some? I want the kind without the shells for Coral to try. I keep reading that parrots love them.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
well do you have a bulk barn near you they sell them also you can by in shell and crack it open i do some nuts as mango hasnt mastered it yet
and some grocery stors are getting nuts in now for xmas you might find there

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
they have raw ones at my local groceries without the shell (roasted too, make sure no salt!) Happy hunting!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
From what I gather, she is in Africa..."Congo time" or at least this is my take on that...Just hit me..."Congo time" could mean her/his Africa Grey...see what happens when you are old?LOL
Can you get Red Palm Nuts there?:hug8:

Last edited:

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I get mine from my local supermarket, usually they keep them near the baking section.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Just go to your local grocery store and they will have them. Just make sure there is no added salt.. :)

Cape Cod Bird Man

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roger
I just picked some almonds up at the local Stop & Shop w/out salt. $6.00. Kali and Daisy love them and Lilo had not had any before but has taken a liking to them too. Skinny just eats anything

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I have been told not to feed my Greys too many of them in a week. They are inclined to inhibit some of the other foodstuffs their little body needs and need to be fed in moderation because of this.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I purchase my almonds at my local fruit and vegetable market. I keep them in the freezer and take out a bit at a time.

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Almonds are a good source of vitamin E which is also the breeding vitamin so you need to be careful how many you feed your bird during the cold weather months. And do get the ones in the shell, almonds are soft and can be cracked open by even smaller species but, if the bird has trouble at the beginning, just hit it with a hammer once to open it up a bit and let the bird do the rest of the work. They need to forage and opening nuts is part of that.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
At my grocery store (Safeway) they have them in the produce department in bins and in the baking department.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I don't know how congo time ended up on my profile, but I am in the states. I'll go check out Safeway or some other grocery store. I didn't think of the baking aisle. thanks guys.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I purchase them at my fruit market.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I found some shelled ones at the grocery store today :) Thanks guys!

Birdzee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maddie
I just picked up a bunch at the grocery store last week..
I give Newbie 2 to 3 a day..
He usually puts the nut in his water but he loves them.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We get ours at Trader Joes. Our birds get more almonds than any other nut mainly because they have less fat. I do make sure they get a variety since each nut has different health benefits.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Have you guys heard of brazilian nuts? I saw them at the store next to the almonds and want to know if they can be given to coral for variety.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Have you guys heard of brazilian nuts? I saw them at the store next to the almonds and want to know if they can be given to coral for variety.
Are you talking about these:
http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/images/i-brazilnuts.jpg

Brazil Nuts have a very hard shell and she might not be able to crack them on her own. Hyacinth Macaws eat these in the wild, however :) They are fine, but I would not give her a whole one because they are a little large for many birds. I'd chop them up and give her a few pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.