• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Almond on budgies.

Tom&Jerry

Moving in
So, I was wondering if my budgies could have almonds, they are NOT the sweet type tho. My mom said to soak them before "I" ate to get rid of whatever toxin was in them, but I was thinking there would still be this so called toxin in the almond, enough to hurt my birds not me. So is it alright for my budgie to have small amounts(1/4 of almond each) of the bitter almond that I soaked for 10 hours in water to get rid of some of that toxin?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Where do you get your almonds? My birds eat a tiny amount of almonds a few times a week, and I eat them every day. I buy organic, unpasteurized almonds from a farm not too far away. What are the bitter type?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do not risk it. You're dealing with a substance that the body breaks down into cyanide. Budgies - and parrots in general - are so small compared to humans that I would be incredibly wary of giving any at all to a bird. 5-10 bitter almonds can kill a child, so I wouldn't risk feeding any to a little 35g budgie. I have not heard of soaking as a way of neutralising the cyanide compound.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Where are these bitter almond?! I've never heard of them & freely admit to consuming a lot of almonds practically every day. They must not be sold in food stores?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have never heard of almonds being bad for parrots ..They are highest in protein, calcium and dietary fiber of the nuts ..I feed soaked human grade almonds weekly to my Grey and Amazon and have for years without any issues ..

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never heard of almonds being bad for parrots ..They are highest in protein, calcium and dietary fiber of the nuts ..I feed soaked human grade almonds weekly to my Grey and Amazon and have for years without any issues ..
There are two varieties of almonds. Sweet almonds (Prunus dulcis var. dulcis) taste wonderful and are enjoyed by both humans and parrots - I use almond slivers as rewards for my two.

However, bitter almonds (Prunus dulcis var. amara) contain compounds of hydrogen cyanide and must be treated before consumption. Bitter almonds are not cultivated in the US so you probably won't have heard of them before. You've only encountered sweet almonds which pose no risk.

Rest assured though, bitter almonds are very very bad and untreated bitter almonds have caused human deaths.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW..ok never heard of the bitter ones ..I always buy natural no salt almonds from the bulk store.. ;)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where are these bitter almond?! I've never heard of them & freely admit to consuming a lot of almonds practically every day. They must not be sold in food stores?
They're not cultivated in the US so I imagine would be hard to find in Canada. They're used in some traditional recipes in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We don't eat them raw! Instead, they have to be processed in some way, often by baking or roasting them.

Here you go, Americans and Canadians who are just discovering this fact :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is what I found on Bitter Almonds. It is not legal to sell then in the US, but other countries still use them. THEY ARE A DEFINITE NO FOR OUR BIRDS.

"Unlike sweet almonds, bitter almonds need to be processed in order to extract a sweet almond flavor. Without processing or cooking, raw bitter almonds can be lethal.

The Danger of Bitter Almonds
Bitter almonds are a variety of regular, sweet almonds. Bitter almonds contain traces of prussic acid—also known as hydrocyanic acid—in its raw state. Hydrocyanic acid is a solution of hydrogen cyanide and water. The byproduct is an organic version of the well-known poison, cyanide. The worst symptoms of eating bitter almonds can include your nervous system shutting down, breathing difficulties, and even death.1 As few as seven to 10 unprocessed bitter almonds can kill a child, and roughly a dozen to 70 nuts can kill a 150-pound adult. The exact number depends on the size of the nuts. "